AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2 yr old SS2000 needs some new speakers. First I thought of replacing the whole thing, but seeing that a DIY setup would run me upwards of 1000, I decided, I will just replace the speakers and the sub and keep the receiver. I am looking at the Energy Take Classic 5 Speaker Set + BIC Aoustech H100 Sub that is on sale for 399. Is that a good choice of 5.1 speakers for an under 500 budget?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went with the Energy Take Classic 5 Speakers and the Bic Acoustech h100 sub from Acoustic Sound Design for 340 total. How would I connect the subs is my question. For the 5 speakers I can just use the wires from the Sony system. But the sub has its own propritary connection that cannot be removed.

·
Registered
16,844 Posts
If the SS2000 is the same as the SS2300 regarding the Ohm load of the OE speakers you may very well damage the receiver by connecting 'other' speakers. The SS2300 uses a 1.5 Ohm center while the rest of the speakers are 3 Ohm. Standard home speakers usually range from 6 Ohm to 8 Ohm (some dip down in the 4 Ohm range). So not only do you risk damaging the AVR but you will also notice less volume (DB) from doubling the Ohm load. I spoke to a lead tech at Sony regarding this very issue with the SS2300 and he suggested NOT changing any of the speakers as the amp is designed with the Ohm load of the OE speakers in mind. The sub would be the same deal (changing the Ohm load) but you would also need a sub with speaker level inputs as there are no pre-outs on the SS series AVR's.

There are ways to change the Ohm load outside of the speaker so that the amp would be ok but then the speaker is not operating as it was designed.

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

Best of Luck if you try it and be sure to post your results here

Jason

·
Registered
16,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 /forum/post/17016049

One way to skin the cat for the subwoofer is to simply splice the proprietary Sony connector onto a normal subwoofer cable.

That is not correct, then you would be sending speaker (High) level output into a line (Low) level (RCA type) input. The Sony sub is not powered, the AVR handles the amplification duty.

Jason

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/17016606

That is not correct, then you would be sending speaker (High) level output into a line (Low) level (RCA type) input. The Sony sub is not powered, the AVR handles the amplification duty.

Jason

Quite right if it's a passive subwoofer.

·
Registered
16,844 Posts
The OP mentioned ordering the BIC H100 which is obviously not a passive sub

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts