AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of HSU VTF-3 MK3's and was wondering if it was possible to replace the speakers with some 15 or 18 inchers that would give me better slam on the bottom end. Maybe the amp too. Any ideas out there???? I run them with a pair to MBM-12's that I really like. Ideas????

Bill

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Wait, so you want to replace the speakers and maybe the amps, what would make them HSU's then? The boxes? Definitely a no no, the box is tiny, a pair of 4" ports can only do so much, if you want to DIY, them DIY all the way. If you go with a 15" driver, you will need at least a 6" port, 2 4" ports won't cut it, if you want an 18" driver, you will need an 8" port or greater.

My idea, let us know what you are willing to do as far as box size and budget are concerned and we'd be happy to give you some more advice, theres a lot of exciting drivers/amps out there right now.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/14203747

Wait, so you want to replace the speakers and maybe the amps, what would make them HSU's then? The boxes? Definitely a no no, the box is tiny, a pair of 4" ports can only do so much, if you want to DIY, them DIY all the way. If you go with a 15" driver, you will need at least a 6" port, 2 4" ports won't cut it, if you want an 18" driver, you will need an 8" port or greater.

My idea, let us know what you are willing to do as far as box size and budget are concerned and we'd be happy to give you some more advice, theres a lot of exciting drivers/amps out there right now.

OK then. How about along the line of the Epik Conquest? Or maybe ED A7-900? I want more omph!

Bill

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Hmm, massive output in the 12-50hz area? Keep the MBM's and sell the VT-3's to fund your build.

Depending on how much room you have and how much money you want to spend, there are quite a few avenues to travel. One might be dual 15's, another might be a single 18, and lastely dual 18's?

Or have you thought about infinite baffle? Is it even possible? 8, 15's would really add some oomph to your bottom end and you wouldn't have to worry about huge sub enclosures in your room.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Bsoko, come to the dark side!!!

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run my MBM's with my mains and the HSU 3.3's nearfield behind the seating area side by side. Anything I build would be the same confiquration so size is not an issue. I was thinking along the lines of dual 18's.

Bill

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14205840

Bsoko, come to the dark side!!!

What else to do when your 65!

Bill

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/14204933

OK then. How about along the line of the Epik Conquest? Or maybe ED A7-900? I want more omph!

Bill

Lets talk more about building the epic conquest! I'm also looking for a build for a monster ported sub, with clean deep output down to 10 or 12Hz!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/14205842

Anything I build would be the same confiquration so size is not an issue. I was thinking along the lines of dual 18's.

One idea would be,

Driver: Two Mal-x's = 750 shipped (new)

Amp: Crown CE4000 = 650 shipped? (ebay it) Or two EP2500's (600 shipped new)

EQ: BFD = 150 shipped (new)

Enclosure: Big sonotube enclosures = ? 100-150?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/14207106

One idea would be,

Driver: Two Mal-x's = 750 shipped (new)

Amp: Crown CE4000 = 650 shipped? (ebay it) Or two EP2500's (600 shipped new)

EQ: BFD = 150 shipped (new)

Enclosure: Big sonotube enclosures = ? 100-150?

Good idea. Dual Maelstrom-X will move MAJOR air. With two 18" drivers each capable of a linear 33mm one way,massive displacement.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got this post off another thread when I asked about the 18" Maelstrom:

"I'm doing a 6.5 cu ft internal volume, 24" all around (and then stuffing it). With room gain you could get down very low, roughly 10hz. You'd have to ask someone else about distortion figures, but it's much lower than an F113 if I recally correctly."

Will this work with a Ed LT/1300 bash amp? Does anybody want to give me any spec on the build (like how much stuffing), etc.) as I feel that I could do this?

Bill

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/14223370

I got this post off another thread when I asked about the 18" Maelstrom:

"I'm doing a 6.5 cu ft internal volume, 24" all around (and then stuffing it). With room gain you could get down very low, roughly 10hz. You'd have to ask someone else about distortion figures, but it's much lower than an F113 if I recally correctly."

Will this work with a Ed LT/1300 bash amp? Does anybody want to give me any spec on the build (like how much stuffing), etc.) as I feel that I could do this?

Bill
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14217918

You could'eve just PM'ed me instead.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spezzy - I'm trying to decide between this build and the Conquest? I assume for the price of the Conquest that I could in theory build two DIY's of the same caliber?

Bill

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Bill,

If size is not an issue, and you want "the good stuff"

Make the jump now, The Maelstrom-X is on sale for $325 delivered. But only till Monday morning. A pair should suffice

Details: HERE

I have a small box design in my build thread linked below

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
A pair of Maelstroms in 10 cubic foot boxes, fully stuffed, with 8" ports 32" long should yield about a 17hz tune. If powered with a pair of EP2500's (up to 4000 watts) they may have as much as 9dB on a single Conquest. This is simply theoretical output, actual measured results are always different, and since neither have been, thats just a speculation, I'd be very surprised though if a single Maelstrom in such a setup would be noticeably under the performance of the conquest.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/14223832

A pair of Maelstroms in 10 cubic foot boxes, fully stuffed, with 8" ports 32" long should yield about a 17hz tune. If powered with a pair of EP2500's (up to 4000 watts) they may have as much as 9dB on a single Conquest. This is simply theoretical output, actual measured results are always different, and since neither have been, thats just a speculation, I'd be very surprised though if a single Maelstrom in such a setup would be noticeably under the performance of the conquest.

Army - how about one box with 2 Mailstroms ported and it only has to perform from 50hz down as I will use my 2 MBM-12's with the mains. Box will be nearfield behind seating area. Any plans that I can use for that?

Thanx, Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts