AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody replaced the fan inside their Nec LT-150 projector?

What size is it? Does it have manufacturer name & model?

My projector is currently at the repair shop (it blew up), but I'm planning to switch the fan for something more quieter if I find a sufficiently efficient replacement.

For me the only major drawback of LT-150 is the noise, thus I'm looking into the fan replacement (and hushbox options).

Regards,

Halcy

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I'm not sure of the size/model of fan, but I imagine that someplace like PC Power & Cooling would be able to help you out, located at http://www.pcpowercooling.com

They have some lower noise fans that might help.

I'm wondering how much is the fan itself and how much is turbulence noise? Perhaps the exhaust isn't well designed....

Just a thought.

Regards,

·
Registered
846 Posts
You'll have to search around for it, but I believe it was Thumper who said it's not the fan, it's the color wheel that makes all the noise.

--Les

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow
Thumper who said it's not the fan, it's the color wheel that makes all the noise.
Aw, bummer.

I'm not up to modifying that. I guess it's hushbox time then.

Cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Halcy, what happened to your LT150? You said it blew up? How did this come about? Is this something other LT150 owners should worry about?

Just curious...

Tnx.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sonny b,

no reason to get worried.

My LT-150 blew up because a certified electrician had wired my wall outlet so that what was supposed to be the ground pin became the hot pin (i.e. 230 Volts here in Finland).

It worked for 5 minutes, but when I hooked my ungrounded video to the projector via s-video cable, the grounds of these two connected and BOOM!

Thank God the LT-150 has a plastic casing or I would have been fried instead of the projector :)

regards,

Halcy

PS Yes, they admitted their mistake, fixed it, were happy that nobody died and their insurance is covering my LT-150.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The LT150 has a magnesium case.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Back on track: If it is, indeed, the color wheel that makes the noise then why do people claim that the sound is worse when the projector is inverted? Another thread confidently stated that the exhaust is somehow more restricted with a ceiling mount and the fan speed increases causing more noise. Some techno-smart person will clear this up for me. Please. Art

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Although I am an LT-150 owner, I don't have a solid answer for you.

I would guess that a large portion of the noise in desktop mount configuration is the color wheel.

Going to ceiling mount then has the fan kickup to deal with decreased airflow.

That's my opinion, and I have nothing to actually back it up ;-)

Regards,

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Lloyd
Back on track: If it is, indeed, the color wheel that makes the noise then why do people claim that the sound is worse when the projector is inverted? Another thread confidently stated that the exhaust is somehow more restricted with a ceiling mount and the fan speed increases causing more noise. Some techno-smart person will clear this up for me. Please. Art
There are two exhaust fans inside LT150. When LT150 is placed on the table, it mainly use one fan only unless the projector is over heat. When LT150 is set to be "ceiling mounting", both fans run at the same time. That's why the noise level goes up.

·
Registered
774 Posts
When the LT-150 is shut down (or inverted) the noise it makes becomes higher in pitch. This really indicates to me that the noise is primarily a fan issue and that it is caused by the fan(s) running faster to increase the cooling.

I think it would be worth experimenting with the fan(s) to see what difference it makes. I'd be surprised if the color wheel was the biggest noise source on the LT-150. Unless it is doubling as a fan. :)

-- Greg

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Sometimes the problem is not fan noise, but ventilation noise.

In otherwords, it is not the fan itself making the noise but the air as it makes its way through. Take a deep breath, then blow it out. now do the same thing except put your fingers in the way so that the air has to go around. the noise you hear is the same as what may be causing the problems in the projector.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.