AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The woofers in both of this pair of speakers are completely shredded (yay drunken idiots at a party). They're 8" woofers, & I'm looking to replace them. I've been looking at PartsExpress, but I've never heard of any of their brands of speaker replacement woofers.

Anyone have any experience with any of those brands? I'd like to keep the replacements to $60 or less.

btw, I'd post the link directly to the 8" woofers section at PartsExpress, but since I have less than 5 posts, I can't. Just go to PartsExpress, then Speakers in the left menu, then 8" under the Home Speakers category on the right.

·
Banned
729 Posts
I think the main problem you're going to have with those replacements is that you don't know much about the woofers in the CSW's. I would recommend one of two things: 1. Call CSW and see what they sell replacements for. 2. Go to ***************.com and post on the CSW forum there. Bob Hazelwood, CSW's lead designer, frequents that forum. If anyone can point you in the direction of a reasonable replacement, it would be him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. Thanks for the helpful reply. I was wondering whether or not the wiring/cabinet would make a difference... It seems that they do. I do know one thing for certain, though, I do not want to replace like-for-like. Those Model Six woofers are paper cones, by the look of it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I've tried to register at ***************, but I never got my activation email. Could I assume that if I could find the specs for the woofers in the Model Six's, I should just look for woofers with similar specs? My next move is to call CSW, but like I said, I really would rather not replace like-for-like.

·
Banned
729 Posts
A few things.

Unless they've changed in the last 5 years or so, the Model Six should use a poly cone woofer and paper cone tweet, not a paper cone woofer. I've both owned a pair, and double checked on one review site where they had pics of it. Beside that, I imagine you liked the sound of the Model Sixes with those woofers in them; changing to another woofer, regardless of how close the specs appear, can give unpredictable results. That said if you choose to go that path, make sure the woofer is suitable for a sealed enclosure of the Model Sixes volume. Also while you're in there, take some time to do a few cheap tweaks. The cabinet on the Six isn't particularly good, and could benefit from some extra bracing, and polyfill (both of which can be done for fairly cheap, with stuff from your local arts & crafts store). If you have time on your hands, modeling clay works well too on the inside of the cabinet walls.

Of course there is also the unthinkable solution; kill the Sixes. They were a good speaker design, but their day has come and gone. IMO, even the Insignias from Best Buy outperform them by a decent margin in most audiophile qualities, and are only 50 bucks a pair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.