Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have been looking at this model and reading as much as I can on performance on the new GWII.

Little background first I had a XBR2 65" HDTV that I have had nothing but problems with see this thread for info:

Here

I have had the tech come out 3 times for different problems the last being the set does not even power up?

The Sony Tech is stumped and was on the phone and nothing could be done to fix the problem!

I have been without the use of the set for over 2 weeks and counting! Not happy to say the least.

I have been in contact with the authorized Sony dealer that I bought the set from and they are in the works on doing something for me. When that will be not sure yet!

I will have them replace my set with the GWII and nothing less.

Sony dropped the 65" XBR2 from their line up and I do not want the new WV700 65" as a replacement.

My question how will the new GWII stand up to my Sony XBR2 65"?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mazdaspeedguy

My question how will the new GWII stand up to my Sony XBR2 65"?

Thanks
The XBR2 had a great picture. The anti-glare screen and whatever electronics it had inside always made it a standout in the store showrooms. The picture looked "3D."

Do not expect the same thing from the GWII or GW2 or GWXBR or whatever you want to call it (XBR GW -- i.e., XBR Grand Wega -- is probably the most correct shorthand for this TV).

The blacks will disappoint you. On the other hand, it does really well in a light room. Not the same kind of anti-reflective coating, but it does well enough. (Also, I understand that the XBR2's anti-reflective coating COULD BE WIPED OFF WITH A DAMP CLOTH -- causing endless grief to some owners. That is not the case with the GWII, as Sony includes a soft cleaning cloth and recommends wiping the screen with the cloth moistened with water that has a little mild detergent.)

You will love the fact that you don't have to worry about burn-in. But the picture quality and contrast suffer compared to the XBR2, and compared to many good CRT RPTVs.

Because of what you've written, I advise you to see the GWII before you get it -- you may decide you want the top-of-the-line Sony CRT RPTV, as you may find the PQ on the GWII to be a step or two down from the XBR2 you've been used to. Though you may feel the GWII has a sharper picture -- the XBR2 seemed a little soft to me at times.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

-- you may decide you want the top-of-the-line Sony CRT RPTV--

I do not think the wv700 65" RPTV is Sony's Top of the line Big screen?

My T.V is not made anymore and I hate the look of the WV series! Looks like a RCA.

First off I will be losing 5" off the XBR Do you think the XBRGWII is that much cleaner in picture?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mazdaspeedguy

First off I will be losing 5" off the XBR Do you think the XBRGWII is that much cleaner in picture?
Too many variables, e.g., what you're feeding it (OTA, HD, DVD, cable, DirecTV). As you know, the GWII does not have a built-in OTA HD tuner like the XBR2.

The main thing I think you'll have to decide on is whether or not you like the look of the LCD image. If you loved the XBR2 when it was working, you may find that you cannot adapt to the GWII -- shadow detail in the blacks are noticeably worse on the GWII. Whereas you could see shapes and depth in dark scenes on the XBR2, you may find that the GWII renders these as silhouettes at best. Some Tweeter stores, like the one in Southlake, TX, may still have the XBR2 and the GWII (50" only at the Southlake store) in the same store so you can see them together and compare. I am not going to tell you that the GWII matches the XBR2 in picture quality because, other than the possibly sharper picture, my impression is that the XBR2 gives a different and better picture -- but at the cost of increased size, weight, and burn-in issues.

I don't tell people what TV, computer or automobile to get -- the choices are too great and personal preferences and likes and dislikes are too variable. And I cannot give an unqualified recommendation to the GW XBR TVs because they are a different animal than what people who have had CRT RPTVs or direct-views are used to. You have to spend some time with it and decide if you like it, love it, can live with it, or hate it. I have one and have my dissatisfactions with it, but I prefer it to the size and weight and burn-in issues that other large screens entail, and don't like all the potential tweaking of the Samsung (plus, I see rainbows).

(I will tell you, however, that if you're ever in Omaha, Nebraska, to eat at the Bohemian Cafe -- great Czech food for a cheap price (at least it was when I worked there in the 1970s -- and I've been told it's still just as good).)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Quote"

Too many variables, e.g., what you're feeding it (OTA, HD, DVD, cable, DirecTV). As you know, the GWII does not have a built-in OTA HD tuner like the XBR2

"End Quote"

Well I feed it HD from a 6000 STB watch alot of DVD and DirecTV. I do not use OTA HD because we do not have it here yet. I live in Canada Winnipeg is the city.

You are wondering why I bought the XBR I bet with the built in OTA tuner?

Simple I got it for the great piture features etc. I looked at many RPTV that where thousands less that just did not look good compared to the XBR2. on all inputs not just HD feeds!

I understand the differences between the two models and I think the weight burn in factors ( I used my XBR2 as a monitor for my computer) never had a problem with burn in just have to be carefull with levels down.

I have not seen a GW XBR yet in person I did see the old model last year before I bought my XBR2 but never paid much attention to it then.

Is the GW XBR easy to tweak? Never had to tweak much on the XBR2 just the red push in the service menu.

Thanks for your Input on this I'm getting very stressed on a replacment for my T.V

Have you had a close look at the WV700 65" RPTV?

Any likes dislikes on that model?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Others are going to have to take over here.

I never really paid much attention to the new Sony CRT RPTVs once we decided we needed a smaller, table-top type TV and wanted a non-burn-in TV. Which limited us to direct-views and digitals like DLP and LCD.

The GW XBR is probably just as easy, or easier, to tweak than the CRT RPTVs, when you get into the Service Menu. Less geometry, convergence, focus issues as there is little to do re: this on the LCD.

As for user menu tweaks, it's the same as the XBR2 when it comes to using AVIA or THX settings -- i.e., adjusting contrast, brightness and color and hue -- it's basically the same menu, except it only has 4, not 5, preset picture modes -- and it has adjustable DRC for "Reality" and "Clarity" as do most of Sony's current model large-screen TVs, and the XBR direct-views. As LCD is progressive, the DRC options are for the DRC palettes and Cinemotion (2:3 pulldown) on or off -- no "Interlaced"/"Progressive" choice as on the DRC menu for the XBR2, as I recall.

The fact that you haven't looked at the GWII / GWXBR in person means that NO ONE can answer these questions for you until you actually have spent some time looking at a GWII -- and you should NOT take anyone's suggestions here until you look long and hard at the GW XBR for yourself.

So, find one and take your DVDs with you and see if you can like it or live with it, and hope they have a HD and DirecTV feed. Then you will KNOW the answers to your questions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have both Sony 60" LCDs (XBR & DX100). I think they are great sets and I enjoy the "big picture" a lot. I've never really liked movies with lots of black, dark scenes on any TV. I think these Sony LCDs are great at the colors and smoothness of the PQ from side to side (entire screen). I could complain about some of my video sources but that's not the TV's fault.

Do you like the widescreen look? OBTW...the Bohemian Cafe is stiil alive and well. If you get around Omaha anytime soon, check out Stokes! Unbelievable food :) and no I don't work there. Go to Nebraska Furniture Mart / Mega Mart and get yourself a new TV, eat stokes and drive that baby back to Canada! Call it a vacation :)

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VdO
I currently have both Sony 60" LCDs (XBR & DX100). I think they are great sets and I enjoy the "big picture" a lot. I've never really liked movies with lots of black, dark scenes on any TV. I think these Sony LCDs are great at the colors and smoothness of the PQ from side to side (entire screen). I could complain about some of my video sources but that's not the TV's fault.

Do you like the widescreen look? OBTW...the Bohemian Cafe is stiil alive and well. If you get around Omaha anytime soon, check out Stokes! Unbelievable food :) and no I don't work there. Go to Nebraska Furniture Mart / Mega Mart and get yourself a new TV, eat stokes and drive that baby back to Canada! Call it a vacation :)
How about Runzas? Are there still Runza Huts in Omaha/Nebraska? And, is Mr. C's/Caniglia's doing well still? (decent Italian food for very few $$).

No need to reply ... this is certainly off-topic -- except that Nebraska Furniture Mart is indeed nationally, if not world, famous for selection and prices ... but I never visited there. I bet they have great A/V furniture and stands choices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.