AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to convert some files that I have downloaded from my replay to my pc to divx. I have tried using divx convert... Everything seems to go well with the process.. but, when I play the file back about half thru I loose sound sync. Has anyone else had this problem or can recommend the best method for taking the replay files to divx.

Thanks for the Support

daone

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daone /forum/post/0

...when I play the file back about half thru I loose sound sync.

I actually did buy the DivX package when they were practically giving it away over the holidays, but I haven't messed with it yet. These types of problems can generally be corrected by running the .mpg file through VideoReDo Plus' QuickStream Fix prior to doing other conversion/processing of it. You can download a free trial (and request a trial key).

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you are trying to convert to DivX for viewing on a small screen, such as a PDA, there is a great free product: PocketDivXencoder
http://divx.ppccool.com/

I use it to turn Replay shows to view on my Dell Axim X50v. Does a good job, and is pretty quick.

Rob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did run across Auto Gordian Knot while searching for something that would work well.. I ran it last night and I think it's going to do the trick.. It seems a little slow but it works and it's free so I have no complains. I processed an hour show with no sync problems.. I now have it running on a 2 hour show if that works then I think I will be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherman516 /forum/post/0

I want a batch utility do DivX.... 200 70's show episodes is a pain to go one at a time

This app will allow you to do batch processing, I have two shows queued up now

Thanks for the support

daone

·
Registered
188 Posts
I started out using MediaCoder to convert video to watch on my iPaq hx2495. Things worked fine for a while, then an update to either divx/xvid or MediaCoder itself changed the default deinterlace settings and the converted video looked like crap.

I next tried Auto Gordian Knot (AGK). It produces better-looking conversions, but is slower and defaults to settings other than those I prefer, so I have to double-check jobs when I run it.

Both apps are free and available through videohelp.com.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Auto Gordian Knot seems to be the way to go.. I ran it on several 2+ hour shows and the audio problem were NOT there.. Be patient because it does convert slowly but the results are worth it.

Thanks for the support

daone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for bumping, but figured it was better than starting a new thread.

I am having a heck of a time keeping the right resolution/aspect ratio on my conversions.

AGK, VirtualDub with MPEg2 filter, VirtualDubMod, VideoFab, they all want to resize to some wild taller than wider ratio. I just want to retain the 720x480...

I use DVArchive 3.2 to pull them over from my 5040 and Revue 1.1a3 to save as cleaned for DVD authoring.

Even though players and GSpot recognize the MPEGS 720x480 size, all of the above listed tools try and change it to something like a 3:4 aspect ratio instead of 4:3. 720x810 or something lower but similar aspect ratio.

Am I using the wrong/old tools or doing something wrong?

All I want is a simple (preferably free) process to generate full resolution XVID or maybe H(X)264 & MP3 AVI/MKV files. (2 pass video and VBR MP3 would be really nice, but I am not picky. I hate trying to do 2 pass in VirtualDub...)

There must be some internal tag on the Replay MPEG that is confusing something...

Help?

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a few softwares, either need some works, or not very good.

Finally Gom Player put out its new Gom Encoder - a ton of options. So Easy, and, it is free! (Only drawback, "Gom encoder" is watermarked first 10 sec, very small watermark.) Gom Encoder can also hardcode subtitle. I like it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use linux...that being said however all the tools I'm using are either available to windows or are windows tools being ran using wine. You'd have to modify the shell script to be a batch file but that would be about it. Dvarchive calls the script when the download from the replay finishes and it converts the file to divx, removes the commercials and copies it to my tv dir. I do some resizing..increase audio cause the replay volume was so low and I also use a video player like smplayer so I can tell it the view aspect is 16x9 instead of 4x3 which is what it auto selects.

Anyway...here's the script:

filein=$1

fileout=${filein%.*}

fileclean="$fileout"_clean.mpg

wine comskip "$filein"

mencoder "$filein" -edl "$fileout".edl -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -o "$fileclean"

transcode -w 1000 -i "$fileclean" -o "$fileout".avi -s 10 -Z 640x480 -f23 -y xvid -I5

mv "$fileout".avi /home/famewolf/tv_shows

rm "$fileout"*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.