AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ReplayTV 2000 has started an odd behaviour. The disk will not spindown when I turn the machine off. I haven't disabled disk spindown in the CFP. The machine has never been hacked.

Thoughts?

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Creech, I prefer to run mine that way. Most likely its a software issue. Try rebooting first. What happens if you enter "enable disk spindown" in the clawfoot portal. Of course there is the ultimate software fix 777 zones RFD.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
...Of course there is the ultimate software fix 777 zones RFD.
That's the extreme software fix? :D

I thought I noticed this one time on my 3xxx (disk spindown was not disabled) but it seems like after a power cycle it went back to normal.

Does a cold reboot (pull the power) makes any difference?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I thought the default behavior was actually what you stated - no disk spin down. Mine (modified 4040) didn't start spinning down with power off untill I explicitly enabled spindown.

And even then, it occassionally won't spin down after a housekeeping power on - by which I mean, I have the Replay off, and I hear it come on, presumably update from Sonic Blue, and then it doesn't spin back down until I power it on/off manually. Not always - just sometimes.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rocketkarl
I thought the default behavior was actually what you stated - no disk spin down. Mine (modified 4040) didn't start spinning down with power off untill I explicitly enabled spindown.
No disk spindown is the default behavior for the 4xxx, 5xxx.

Opposite on the 2xxx, 3xxx, and Showstopper.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
That's the extreme software fix? :D

I thought I noticed this one time on my 3xxx (disk spindown was not disabled) but it seems like after a power cycle it went back to normal.

Does a cold reboot (pull the power) makes any difference?
Unless desperate, I think I'd prefer not to do a cold reboot with the HD spinning. That could cause all manner of grief.

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeyboyWhat happens if you enter "enable disk spindown" in the clawfoot portal.
Nada, nothing, zilch. It was the first thing I tried after noticing that is just kept spinning.

So....pulling the plug while it is spinning, is this gonna corrupt my OS?

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
...pulling the plug while it is spinning, is this gonna corrupt my OS?
I know the feeling, but I'd say there is a 99.999% chance you'll be perfectly ok.

To improve those odds, remove the video signal so it's not buffering and listen (up close) for any disk activity and don't pull it @ :40 after the hour when it's doing a check, or during disk writing.

And keep in mind if, you do hit that one in 10,000 chance (it wipes p2 after pulling the plug -- not during a crash) you will notice and could still extract unlinked programs?

It may seem like something's wrong that it won't spin down... but when I pulled the plug on mine when it was doing that, it didn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Of course lets get Mikeyboy's thoughts on this.

I believe he pulls the plug all the time while disk is spinning? ;)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I normally run with "disable disk spindown". All I do is make sure it isn't recording, power it off, wait 30 seconds and pull the plug. Haven't created a crash to date.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's something wierd. It recorded something today (we only use it for conflicts) and after it finished recording happily spun down....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.