AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on this forum that the new Replay 4000 series will transfer programs to the hard drive of your network (drop and drag) in Mpeg2 format for long term storage.

I called Replay today about this issue and was told in no uncertain terms that it WILL NOT do this.

Photos can be transferred from the computer to the Replay, but shows will not transfer either way.

Just wanted to clear this up...

·
Registered
849 Posts
You won't get an official comment. The two unofficial comments from Replay employees were conflicting. But the first one that said you MIGHT be able to seemed to really know what he was talking about, and both may have been correct. The first one said that with the BETA units he could do that and had done so many times. BUT, he qualified that by saying that he couldn't say for sure if they would leave that ability in the shipping version. So, it's likely, ESPECIALLY in light of the threat of the lawsuit, that they will definitely disable that ability in the software before the units ship. Real bummer. Another task for the hacking force to immediately address ;)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Looking back...

www.ReplayTV.com specifically says you can transfer shows between ReplayTV 4000's and image files from PC to ReplayTV;

http://www.msnbc.com/news/637650.asp#BODY says that "it (ReplayTV 4000) can network to PCs" without specifying what networks;

In http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=36677 Replay Patrick stated:

Quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Ed Rempalski:

Thanks Guys for stepping Up! I'm sure that you are very busy finishing things up!!

Here goes,

1 - Can I use std. Windows Explorer to explore the Replay and download a show as mpeg for manipulation/burning on the PC? EG does the Replay simply act as a network drive?

2 - If Not, is a Windows App supplied, that allows access to the Replay?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The exact details of PC to RTV4000 connectivity, with respect to mpegs, are still under investigation, with no commitment one way or another.

What I can say at this point is that your RTV4000 units (you are ordering more than one, arent you?) will appear integrated into Windows Explorer for copying your photos.

------------------

Patrick Ellis

Applications Engineer

ReplayTV, Inc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1 suggests you will be able to access mpeg2 files FROM the 4000 but not the other way around;

Do some research -- the search function is great and these issues have been talked about.

I would do searches over the past 3 months on topics like "4000" and/or posts by "Replay" (not exact match).

Joe

·
Registered
419 Posts
Someone is mistaken. The plan has been to allow transferring to your PC all along. Unless SonicBlue has had a change of direction in the last couple of days, I'd be willing to bet that the person you spoke with was simply uninformed.

·
Registered
849 Posts
No, that hasn't been an actual plan, that was just the way they had it working for the beta testers. Where did you ever hear or see that stated? The first actual info that someone obtained from replay support stated clearly that it CURRENTLY did that but they weren't sure that it would be kept in the shipping product. It probably won't, in light of the possible lawsuit they are already facing.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrJoe
Looking back...

www.ReplayTV.com specifically says you can transfer shows between ReplayTV 4000's and image files from PC to ReplayTV;

Where exactly does it say that on www.replaytv.com. in the features list it says:

Quote:
Now you can transfer photos from your PC to your ReplayTV 4000 by connecting to your home network using the new Ethernet port! You can even link two ReplayTV 4000s together in your home so that you can share programs between them.
that only says you can transfer photos.

Scyber

·
Registered
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrJoe
Looking back...

Do some research -- the search function is great and these issues have been talked about.

I would do searches over the past 3 months on topics like "4000" and/or posts by "Replay" (not exact match).

Joe
I know about the past posts, DRJoe.. no need to be condescending.

But I would have liked a "Replay" response to the apparent conflict. Why can't they tell if this will be in the machine or not?

This was one of 2 reasons for me to buy the 4080. The other is commercial skip. Now, with this in question, I probably will cancel the 4080 purchase and buy a DVD recorder instead and record directly to one of those from my current 110 hr. HS2000.

The reasons for me wanting the 4080 seem to be falling thin based on the lack of information *or* the lack of it able to do what I would like. And for the $900 bucks, I can get the Panasonic DVD recorder at Best buy for $999

-Chris

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber

that only says you can transfer photos.

Scyber
Scyber, what are you debating? That is all Dr Joe SAID. Read his post again, he said the site said you can transfer shows *between 4000s* (which we obviously already know), and *images* from the PC to the Replay. That is what you just pointed out in the article, making his point. You sound like you think he said they said it would transfer shows from the PC, which he never said. Right said fred? :D

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Glenn wrote:

> You won't get an official comment. for the $900 bucks, I can get the Panasonic DVD recorder at Best buy for $999

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Even if ReplayTV does not offer this service, I believe someone can create software which will make a PC look like a ReplayTV so that you can use the standard file transfer feature. So, let's get hacking!

Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
this new info bumms me out, I called and talked to them, and have been agonizing over buying one.... If I can't transfer files to a pc, then I guess I can stop agonizing....

BTW, I'm not familiar with the DVD recording options mentioned in this thread, can anyone turn me on to a source / faq to get me up to speed? the models numbers etc were greek to me.

Thanks,

Barry

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by riker

Scyber, what are you debating? That is all Dr Joe SAID. Read his post again, he said the site said you can transfer shows *between 4000s* (which we obviously already know), and *images* from the PC to the Replay. That is what you just pointed out in the article, making his point. You sound like you think he said they said it would transfer shows from the PC, which he never said. Right said fred? :D
What he said.

Read ReplayTV.com:

It says you can transfer shows between ReplayTV 4000 series machines, and you can transfer images from PC's to replayTV 4000 series machines. It does not say you can transfer shows from ReplayTV 4000's to computers or vice versa.

As far as condescending goes, I suppose most of my posts sound that way... It is annoying reading thread after thread asking "ReplayGuys -- Please Respond" When, if you go back and look, they already have.

If you read the thread (9 pages long) I posted the reference to, they responded to your very question. From past history, they don't respond twice to questions like this. Because you asked the question without refering to the previous answer, I assumed you hadn't read it.

I would suggest the evidence all points to not being able to send shows to PC's and vice versa. If you go back and read that long thread, burried in it you will find the comment that sending shows was to be restricted to a limited number of copies. If they were going to allow you to dump your show to your PC, what would be the point of such a limitation? Until you see it listed in the specs on the ReplayTV website I wouldn't hold my breath.

Joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know much about thread after thread (I don't doubt it though), but I called and talked to the 'replay guys' and they told me without question files could be transfered to a pc and they would be in MPEG2 format; the catch was they couldn't be transfered back to the replay device.

I won't argue as to if this should be acceptable or not, but verbal representation of the product by the manufacturer counts just as much as a written specification...

I even asked the guy specifically about copyright issues, and he said "people use VCRs to record shows now, we can't be responsible for that". He indicated there was no plan to allow files to be transfered back to the replay device in future releases / products.

Based on my conversation, which took place last week btw, any information that contradicts their verbals claims shows they either have either not decided what features the released product will have, or they have not clearly made their employees aware of what features the product will have. I'll call again tomorrow.

Personally, I was amazed that feature existed as it was described. I would think an encrypted file that could only be played back on a replay unit, but could be transfered bi-directionally, would be a usefull product, and address copyright issues better. But hey, I don't know their business, just my wants...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey VideoGrabber, Where can I get DVD-R disks for $3 ?? I've been paying $11-12 Got a link?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well,

I am cancelling my order and waiting to see about these things:

1) Exactly what PC access there is.

2) If this silly planned lawsuit actually succeeds on removing commercial skip (I doubt it, but one never knows).

3) If it can be hacked for more size.

I'd love to have it.. the menu's look really nice and I love getting new tech stuff... but this one I'm going to have to wait out a bit and maybe even see what Sonic Blue/ReplayTV's long term plan is. Selling a few units at a high price won't get many of these out there. So if it's capital building for future Replay's.. who knows..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I started this thread, I want to add that the ReplayTV representative said that the replay would be "partitioned" into Photo and Shows sections. The Shows section would NOT be able to be transferred EITHER way.

He said that it would open them up to all kinds of lawsuits.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would have thought the fair-use policy (law?) would have applied. You can just as easily get a tv card and buy a program that records like a VCR in MPEG2 quality(I forgot the name of one of them that I had used in the past..begins with a C, I think...).

Wouldn't these programs have lawsuits then using that rep's logic?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.