Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else having these problems?

I recently received a "B" stock Replay 4040 unit as a replacement for a bad 3030 unit. This unit has, within the last week, begun exhibiting very problematic behavior.

During the first couple of weeks with the unit I was able to download shows shared over the internet with no problem. Now, I can't do it...all I get are error messages which is odd because the unit has no problem connecting to the Replay servers to download guide information.

More troubling is the behavior which has started this past week. We can't watch TV for any length of time with the Replay. About every 10 or 15 minutes, the picture freezes up and the audio goes into a stutter (similar to a record skipping) and then it spontaneously re-boots. After the re-boot, the picture picks up again and then the same thing happens again.

I called tech support today and I was told that I should change my network ID and the open port for the Replay to solve the downloading problem. I was also told to unplug the unit for 15 minutes to solve the freezing/skipping problem. No luck in either case.

What is most frustrating is that I have an original 2001 unit upstairs that works just fine, exactly as it should. It is the newer "superior" technology that seems to be failing.

At this point I almost want to just switch to Tivo or to a Dish PVR. What is your recommendation to fix this problem?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Internet sharing depends on incoming connections; the nightly updates only require outgoing -- the firewall/routing issues are very different, and it's easy for one to work while the other doesn't.

Have there been any changes in your network configuration? What's your ISN? (feel free to PM me if you'd prefer not to post it)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Locking up and stuttering is not at all a common 4000 problem. Your replacement unit may have been dropped, or you just got a bad drive in your unit. In any case if a 777 zone reset doesn't help, push for another unit ASAP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received my new 4040. It worked fine for a week then started rebooting randomly. SB says unit is bad and to send it back since when I did factory restore default, the random reboots didn't stop. By coincidence, I noticed that the random reboots started when I started downloading a show off the internet. I didn't think about it but after I did a factory restore default, I also immediately asked my friend to download the show again.

After a few days, the random reboots stopped. The show has also completed downloading. I wonder (perhaps coincidence) if downloading show off the internet is causing my 4040 to reboot randomly. Since the show has downloaded I have NOT randomly rebooted at all.

I'm trying to download another show to see if this happens again.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well, overloading the RTV4k will cause a reboot. So if you are recording and pulling a show via SwapDV (at least with the older, non-speed restrained versions), and internet download could be enough to make it reboot. In fact, doing much of anything while pulling a file off of it at high speed could cause a reboot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to think I'm overloading it but I'm not doing anything

stressful. Replay is receiving show from internet. SwapDV is NOT in

the scenario at all. I'm watching a show (live), so yes it's recording

what I'm watching as well as receiving show from internet. But why

is that stressful? It took 3 days to receive 1 hour 30 min show. Can't

I watch a show while 4040 is downloading from internet?

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.