AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a new Replay to begin replacing the 2 I have, but what is the compatibility with HDTV?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It will record 480i and output 480p. Depending on your set and STB, you can get a pretty decent recording of HD content and view it widescreen. It's not HD, but it's pretty good.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
All ReplayTV's up through and including the 4500 are totally incompatible with DTV (including High Definition). The only way you can record such programming is by setting your STB to downconvert the signal to regular old NTSC, 480i. If you have a DirecTV or DISH HD receiver and it's set to the component outputs, the Replay will not be able to record since no Replay accepts component inputs. You must switch the STB to the 480i output mode in order to record. If you forget to do this before turning in for the night, nothing will record. I am considering buying a basic (non-HD) decoder to connect to my Replay so that it can always record and so that I can always watch live programs via the component outputs, so that HD content is displayed in 1080i rather than downconverted to 480i.

David

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ttboy120
I want to purchase a new Replay to begin replacing the 2 I have, but what is the compatibility with HDTV?
If you really care about picture quality and you have DirecTv you should look at getting an integrated box (DirecTiVo or UltimateTV). You will get 40 hours at the top quality setting instead of about 9 on a "40 hour" stand alone RePlayTV box.

If you want an HD box, you will have to wait a few months.

/carmi

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well I am using a utv now and have to say the picture quality is great. It is the same if not better than when I had my replay on the highest quality. I just wish my utv had the same features of my old replay....I really miss that 3min skip and the menu system on the utv is just plain ssslloooowwww!!!

Rare

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
[from haysdb}

>>All ReplayTV's up through and including the 4500 are totally incompatible with DTV

This is a little misleading, although I agree with everything else you said. It's quite possible to slave a Replay 4k to an HD STB set to 480i output and record DTV programming. It does need to be set to 480i, and the Replay does not have any good way of selecting OTA subchannels, although there are some workarounds.

[from majortom]

>>If you really care about picture quality and you have DirecTv you should look at getting

>>an integrated box (DirecTiVo or UltimateTV). You will get 40 hours at the top quality setting

>>instead of about 9 on a "40 hour" stand alone RePlayTV box.

Maybe, but (a) this does not allow you to record OTA programming from the same unit, (b) this does not allow you to record HD/widescreen content (in 480i mode), and (c) this does not allow you to use the unit to record other sources (e.g., home videos)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by majortom

If you really care about picture quality and you have DirecTv you should look at getting an integrated box (DirecTiVo or UltimateTV). You will get 40 hours at the top quality setting instead of about 9 on a "40 hour" stand alone RePlayTV box.

If you want an HD box, you will have to wait a few months.

/carmi
Focus on the last line: Even with the integrated box (or maybe even especially with) you will not be able to record HD at its full glory. With a standalone box, you'll be able to at least record the 480i output and switch to the higher output if you watch directly. With the integrated boxes, you'll only ever get 480i.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens

Focus on the last line: Even with the integrated box (or maybe even especially with) you will not be able to record HD at its full glory. With a standalone box, you'll be able to at least record the 480i output and switch to the higher output if you watch directly. With the integrated boxes, you'll only ever get 480i.
Or, you can get the highest quality recording of the DBS non-hd content with the Dolby Digital sound, and then use an HD receiver to watch the HD content in HD. That is my approach. I like shows like QAF in 5.1 on my DirecTiVo, or if I am home when they are on, on Showtime HD. I used to record them on my stand alone TiVo off my HD receiver, but I discovered that I preferred the better sound and higher quality picture that I got on my integrated box.

I do try to remember to record the shows in HD on my HiPiX, but I like having the DirecTiVo as a fall back since it does not forget to record and I do. :)

I look forward to an HD PVR.

/carmi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.