Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

This seems so incredibly confusing. One of the big advantages I see in the replay 5000 series is the 480p output. But what doesn't make sense is that wouldn't you need a 480p input in order to realize the benefits?

For example, If I bought the new Samsung HDTV DirecTV receiver it simultaneously will output 480p or higher and 480i. So if I am watching a show real time with 480p output and wanted to record 480p, I couldn't.

Am I missing something here?

Nic

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The Progressive output acts as a simple line doubler, inferior to the scalers found in most large-screen TVs nowadays - but better than nothing. The Component Video format does provide better signal quality than S-Video, though, with most people citing noticably richer colors. However, your mileage may vary. Many folks whose TVs have good scalers in them like the interlaced S-video output better (since a progressive signal usually bypasses their TV's scaler).

Look at this thread from last week for more details.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. That blows my advatage of the replay TV out of the water since I would assume My Sharp 9000 would do a better job especially since it scales to 720p.

Nic

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.