AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using my 5040 for about a month and tried to send and recieve shows with a friend. I recieved one show succesfully and then the problems started...

I noticed the speed of my DSL link has dropped from 1500kbs to 51kbs. Troubleshooting revealed the problem was my Replay. Unplugging the Replay restores my DSL speed to 1500kbs.

I connected a packet sniffer to the network and noticed that during a 10 second capture hundreds and hundreds of TCPIP ACK packets are being generated by my Replay. It appears that other Replay units (outside my network) are contacting my Replay and trying to initiate a transfer of some kind.

I have deleted all entries in my address book, deleted all pending recieves, and asked my friends to delete all pending transfers. I have rebooted the unit, switched to telephone and then back to network. My Replay will sit quietly when first connected to the network until it starts to recieve requests from other units. Once it is contacted it goes crazy and floods my network with traffic again.

The only solution offered by Replay support (three calls) was reboot and perform a factory reset. I have tried everything except the factory reset.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Uhm, maybe someone is downloading a show that you sent to them?

Unfortunately, there's no way to kill the transfer except to delete the show that you had sent the offer for...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LowTech
I connected a packet sniffer to the network and noticed that during a 10 second capture hundreds and hundreds of TCPIP ACK packets are being generated by my Replay. It appears that other Replay units (outside my network) are contacting my Replay and trying to initiate a transfer of some kind.
Can you explain how your network is set up? (i.e. do you have a router and/or a firewall?)

When you "outside" your network, what do you mean? Outside your own personal (internal) network? Outside your providers network?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LowTech
What is the destination IP of the ACK packets? If it is your router, you

can temporarily kill the IVS transfer by getting rid of the port forwarding

rule and rebooting your router.

However, assuming to did send a show, that's just IVS working. It'd

be nice if there was some bandwidth control but right now it'll use

whatever uplink you give it and if you lose enough uplink, it'll affect

your downlink.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by melduforx
Can you explain how your network is set up? (i.e. do you have a router and/or a firewall?)

When you "outside" your network, what do you mean? Outside your own personal (internal) network? Outside your providers network?
DSL modem doubles as a firewall and router. DHCP and DNS are provided by another server. Replay has static IP, and is configured to use ISPs DNS server. Network is 100Mb/switched so their is typically no lack of bandwidth unless Replay goes "psycho".

I have turned off port forwarding so the Replay is behaving now. The IP addresses are coming from outside my network and outside of my ISP. One of the IPs belongs to a friend in another city and the other I am not sure about.

Sniffer shows two-way traffic between my IP and remote IPs if port forwarding is truned on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tarfin
Instead of deleting the show you could move it your PC via DVArchive.
That is an excellent idea! I have used DVArchive to move shows to another server so that just might be the solution. I'll try it this weekend.

I think I know what caused the problem. There was a problem with port forwarding on my end for a couple of weeks. I had switched from cable to DSL. DSL modem is router/firewall and was in series with Linksys router/firewall causing problems. Removed Linksys and configured DSL modem to enable port forwarding and Replay started communicating.

During the down time, I tried to send and recieve several shows with a couple of friends to test the connectivity. I apparently built up a large backlog of send/recieve requests. When the port forwarding problem was resolved, the floodgates opened...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
What is the destination IP of the ACK packets? If it is your router, you

can temporarily kill the IVS transfer by getting rid of the port forwarding

rule and rebooting your router.

However, assuming to did send a show, that's just IVS working. It'd

be nice if there was some bandwidth control but right now it'll use

whatever uplink you give it and if you lose enough uplink, it'll affect

your downlink.
I suspect you are right. I apparently had a large backlog built up. Now I just need to get rid of the backlog.

The IP packets are from other people in other cities. I killed port forwarding until I can get rid of the backlog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.