AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long time ReplayTV user and still have 3 active 5040s (upgraded). I figure it won't be long till I have converted everything to my new HTPC and the Replays will be gone. But ... I have an issue now which I have never had in all my Replay years. I can't seem to see and watch shows that are recorded on another one of my Replays in the same house and on the same LAN. By the way, I am using WIRNS and it finds them all and updates the guide regularly as scheduled. But I also can't watch any of the shows from WIRNS just like the situation with the Replays. The problem exists from any of the 3 Replays and well as the PC running WIRNS. The fix is to reboot them. For instance if I am in the bedroom and want to watch stuff on the living room replay, I go to replay guide and move over to the living room replay. I can see the shows (but it is usually out of date and only has the shows that were there the last time I rebooted), but when I select the show it says "unable to contact replay...". I've tried 243 zones and find other replays. It says they are there but does not find any new replays, and I still can't connect to them. The same situation happens from any of the 3 replays and is fixed if I reboot. But it only lasts maybe 24 hours if I am lucky. The only thing that has changed recently is I bought and installed a new router. It is a Buffalo WZR-600DHP-US with their stock software. I've been using Buffalo routers for over 10 years with success and this is my 3rd router with them. Never had a problem with any of them, only changed as I needed to upgrade my technology. I changed this time as I wanted to have a gigabit router to give me better performance with my HTPC.

I've checked all obvious settings on the router and can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Does anyone have a clue what I might try?

I appreciate any help that might be offered. I am a pretty good PC guy but don't claim to be a network expert.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHarry  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24464010

I've been a long time ReplayTV user and still have 3 active 5040s (upgraded). I figure it won't be long till I have converted everything to my new HTPC and the Replays will be gone. But ... I have an issue now which I have never had in all my Replay years. I can't seem to see and watch shows that are recorded on another one of my Replays in the same house and on the same LAN. By the way, I am using WIRNS and it finds them all and updates the guide regularly as scheduled. But I also can't watch any of the shows from WIRNS just like the situation with the Replays. The problem exists from any of the 3 Replays and well as the PC running WIRNS. The fix is to reboot them. For instance if I am in the bedroom and want to watch stuff on the living room replay, I go to replay guide and move over to the living room replay. I can see the shows (but it is usually out of date and only has the shows that were there the last time I rebooted), but when I select the show it says "unable to contact replay...". I've tried 243 zones and find other replays. It says they are there but does not find any new replays, and I still can't connect to them. The same situation happens from any of the 3 replays and is fixed if I reboot. But it only lasts maybe 24 hours if I am lucky. The only thing that has changed recently is I bought and installed a new router. It is a Buffalo WZR-600DHP-US with their stock software. I've been using Buffalo routers for over 10 years with success and this is my 3rd router with them. Never had a problem with any of them, only changed as I needed to upgrade my technology. I changed this time as I wanted to have a gigabit router to give me better performance with my HTPC.

I've checked all obvious settings on the router and can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Does anyone have a clue what I might try?

I appreciate any help that might be offered. I am a pretty good PC guy but don't claim to be a network expert.

Could it be the DHCP bug?

You need to have your DHCP server providing a specific IP to a that MAC address.

Note that setting static addressing on the Replay(s) (as you probably have for WiRNS) DOES NOT fix the problem. Make sure your DHCP server is providing the same address as the static one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. That sure sounds like a good possibility. I do have all my Replays setup (on the Replay) as static (since I am using WIRNS). So sounds like this could be it. Will check and let you know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had to wait till overnight to make sure it was working as once I rebooted it would work for "awhile". Checked this morning and all is well. So that did it.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24464056

You need to have your DHCP server providing a specific IP to a that MAC address.

Note that setting static addressing on the Replay(s) (as you probably have for WiRNS) DOES NOT fix the problem. Make sure your DHCP server is providing the same address as the static one.
thAT WOULD NOT BE THE PRoBLEM--i had two replays for four years set on auto and never had trouble between them---never had a mac address either--d

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24475101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24464056

thAT WOULD NOT BE THE PRoBLEM--i had two replays for four years set on auto and never had trouble between them---d

Au contraire, that absolutely WOULD be the problem!  Mark said that setting a static address does not fix the problem, in fact it causes the problem.  You said that you had your Replays set on auto, completely the opposite of what Mark said, without problem, because using auto does not cause the DHCP bug.  If you want fixed addressing, then you're a likely candidate for the DHCP bug.  The best fix is to use DHCP reservations, in which case it wouldn't matter if you set the Replay for manual or automatic because it's going to get the reservation address either way.  In fact, even if you set the Replay for manual, it's going to ask for a lease anyway, which is the bug, so it's basically the same as being set to automatic.  But, Mark is absolutely correct, setting the Replays for manual addressing to use them with WiRNS causes the DHCP bug, which is best corrected by configuring the DHCP server with lease reservations.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayAddict  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24476076

Au contraire, that absolutely WOULD be the problem!  Mark said that setting a static address does not fix the problem, in fact it causes the problem.  You said that you had your Replays set on auto, completely the opposite of what Mark said, without problem, because using auto does not cause the DHCP bug.  If you want fixed addressing, then you're a likely candidate for the DHCP bug.  The best fix is to use DHCP reservations, in which case it wouldn't matter if you set the Replay for manual or automatic because it's going to get the reservation address either way.  In fact, even if you set the Replay for manual, it's going to ask for a lease anyway, which is the bug, so it's basically the same as being set to automatic.  But, Mark is absolutely correct, setting the Replays for manual addressing to use them with WiRNS causes the DHCP bug, which is best corrected by configuring the DHCP server with lease reservations.

The DHCP bug does occur when using dynamic addressing. That's how I first discovered it (that was before I found out about WiRNS). A Replay will try to allocate two IPs, and the "static" setting on the Replay affects only one of these. The other is always dynamic. You need to make sure both of these addresses are the same.

BTW, I don't use static addressing (address reservation only). My router has DD-WRT on it and that provides a DNS server. I use it to redirect *.REPLAYTV.NET to the machine running WiRNS.

Reactions: BigHarry

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24476673

The DHCP bug does occur when using dynamic addressing. That's how I first discovered it (that was before I found out about WiRNS). A Replay will try to allocate two IPs, and the "static" setting on the Replay affects only one of these. The other is always dynamic. You need to make sure both of these addresses are the same.

That's not quite correct either.  The ReplayTV always tries to get a dynamic address, even when it is in static mode.  But, the conflict cannot arise when the ReplayTV is in automated mode, because then it is fetching a dynamic address, and there is only one.  It's when you configure the ReplayTV in manual mode that the conflict arises, because then the ReplayTV ends up with two addresses, the static address and the dynamic address, and the DHCP bug is when they aren't the same.  So, whatever it takes to ensure that when the ReplayTV is configured in manual mode so that it doesn't end up with a different dynamic address, that's what it takes to cure the problem.  There are several solutions, but using a lease reservation is the easiest.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayAddict  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24480609

That's not quite correct either.  The ReplayTV always tries to get a dynamic address, even when it is in static mode.  But, the conflict cannot arise when the ReplayTV is in automated mode, because then it is fetching a dynamic address, and there is only one.  It's when you configure the ReplayTV in manual mode that the conflict arises, because then the ReplayTV ends up with two addresses, the static address and the dynamic address, and the DHCP bug is when they aren't the same.  So, whatever it takes to ensure that when the ReplayTV is configured in manual mode so that it doesn't end up with a different dynamic address, that's what it takes to cure the problem.  There are several solutions, but using a lease reservation is the easiest.

It's been years since I dealt with the problem, so I may have forgotten some details. However I DO know that my Replays had NEVER been set to "static" at the time I first discovered the DHCP bug. Possibly it tried to renew it's address during a show transfer and would renew BEFORE releasing the old address

(and so would get a different address, causing transfer failure).

I tried static to see if it would fix this problem. It didn't. Since then I've used static a few times while setting up WiRNS, but never for long.

BTW, the router I had when first finding the DHCP bug did not support address reservation, so I had disabled DHCP on it and installed a program (DHCP server) on a PC.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24481439

It's been years since I dealt with the problem, so I may have forgotten some details. However I DO know that my Replays had NEVER been set to "static" at the time I first discovered the DHCP bug. Possibly it tried to renew it's address during a show transfer and would renew BEFORE releasing the old address

(and so would get a different address, causing transfer failure).

I tried static to see if it would fix this problem. It didn't. Since then I've used static a few times while setting up WiRNS, but never for long.

The DHCP "bug" is specifically when the ReplayTV ends up with two IP addresses.  There is actually a possibility of this happening when the ReplayTV is configured in automated networking mode because the ReplayTV actually sends two dynamic address requests, and a "broken" DHCP server could actually send it two different addresses, but that wouldn't happen with any modern DHCP server.  You can read about the "bug" on Poopli, and it is posted on this forum as well.  So, with current DHCP servers, the only case is when you configure the ReplayTV for manual networking, and the problem is that the ReplayTV still asks for a dynamic address as well, which allows for the ReplayTV to end up with two different IP addresses, but only one of them can receive network traffic.

The problem you are referring to is that when the ReplayTV is configured for automated addressing, because it is using a dynamic address, it is certainly allowed to change.  When it changes, it doesn't hurt the ReplayTV in any way, just as it wouldn't hurt your laptop or other wireless device to get a different dynamic address, but it certainly can impact any connections in progress, such as room-to-room streaming or Internet Video Sharing.  Because ReplayTV was aware of the possibility of the dynamic address changing, the ReplayTV sends periodic notifications of its current IP address so that these connections can adjust.  For IVS, it sends notifications once an hour, so it could take up to an hour after the ReplayTV's dynamic address changes before a show send might resume sending on its own.  For room-to-room streaming, it's a bit more complicated because that doesn't allow for the IP address to change mid stream.  However, the ReplayTV sends Local Area Network notifications pretty frequently, which is what you see in the 2-4-3-Zones Find Other Units screen, so it might interrupt a room-to-room stream in progress, but then the ReplayTV should discover the IP change and be able to pick up where it left off by the user having to select Play again.  And, of course, for WiRNS, it would be disastrous for the ReplayTV's IP address to change since it requires a fixed IP address.  So, one way or the other, for WiRNS or routed IVS, you would need for the ReplayTV to be using a fixed IP address, which would either require configuring it for manual networking, or having the DHCP server provide it with a fixed address for automated networking.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayAddict  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24482193

The DHCP "bug" is specifically when the ReplayTV ends up with two IP addresses.  There is actually a possibility of this happening when the ReplayTV is configured in automated networking mode because the ReplayTV actually sends two dynamic address requests, and a "broken" DHCP server could actually send it two different addresses, but that wouldn't happen with any modern DHCP server.  You can read about the "bug" on Poopli, and it is posted on this forum as well.  So, with current DHCP servers, the only case is when you configure the ReplayTV for manual networking, and the problem is that the ReplayTV still asks for a dynamic address as well, which allows for the ReplayTV to end up with two different IP addresses, but only one of them can receive network traffic.

The problem you are referring to is that when the ReplayTV is configured for automated addressing, because it is using a dynamic address, it is certainly allowed to change.  When it changes, it doesn't hurt the ReplayTV in any way, just as it wouldn't hurt your laptop or other wireless device to get a different dynamic address, but it certainly can impact any connections in progress, such as room-to-room streaming or Internet Video Sharing.  Because ReplayTV was aware of the possibility of the dynamic address changing, the ReplayTV sends periodic notifications of its current IP address so that these connections can adjust.  For IVS, it sends notifications once an hour, so it could take up to an hour after the ReplayTV's dynamic address changes before a show send might resume sending on its own.  For room-to-room streaming, it's a bit more complicated because that doesn't allow for the IP address to change mid stream.  However, the ReplayTV sends Local Area Network notifications pretty frequently, which is what you see in the 2-4-3-Zones Find Other Units screen, so it might interrupt a room-to-room stream in progress, but then the ReplayTV should discover the IP change and be able to pick up where it left off by the user having to select Play again.  And, of course, for WiRNS, it would be disastrous for the ReplayTV's IP address to change since it requires a fixed IP address.  So, one way or the other, for WiRNS or routed IVS, you would need for the ReplayTV to be using a fixed IP address, which would either require configuring it for manual networking, or having the DHCP server provide it with a fixed address for automated networking.
ur just presuming --he has sometrhing else wrong---lets here back from big harry---probly a bandwidth issue since hes increased his usage with the htpc---d

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24495124

ur just presuming --he has sometrhing else wrong---lets here back from big harry---probly a bandwidth issue since hes increased his usage with the htpc---d
He said that fixed it, in post #4, so I don't know why you replied that wouldn't be the problem after he said that fixed it.  Maybe you could learn to spell and that would help.

·
Registered
173 Posts
that post wasnt there when i replied to the ones above it. he was probly was working on it and sent it just after my reply. whats ur excuse

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan  /t/1521897/replay-5040-show-sharing-within-same-local-network#post_24496175

that post wasnt there when i replied to the ones above it. he was probly was working on it and sent it just after my reply. whats ur excuse
Are you kidding?!  He posted more than a day before you that Mark's suggestion worked!  That's what made it so incredibly bizarre that you so vehemently told him not to follow Mark's advice after he had already posted that Mark's advice had done the trick!  Even worse that what the OP posted exactly described the DHCP "bug", which Mark caught right away, and you would post that it couldn't be the problem!  You need to read and check much closer, even your current post is completely absurd given that all you had to do was look at the dates of the posts to be able to tell that what you posted was completely ridiculous!  You're going to have to work much harder on your excuse!  And, at least I know how to spell, use punctuation and capitalization!  What's your excuse?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I have to jump in here since I started this. 100% for sure the original suggestion about the DHCP bug fixed my problem. I had tried many other things and none of them lasted more then an hour or 2 (if at all). Once I made the change in my router to set the static address based on the mac address of the Replay, it fixed it. Here we are several days after that and it has remained fixed. Not since I installed the new router has it worked for more then just a few hours. So unless some magical being came upon my router when I wasn't looking and laid hands on it to fix it, then it is 100% certain the original suggestion was the fix.

The fact that someone else could have had a different router and never had a problem has no bearing on the problem I had. Routers are different. Now if he/she had the exact same router, then maybe there would at least be a reason to look further.

But in this case, we have found the problem and I thank mlloyd for pointing me in the right direction.

End of story.

·
Registered
173 Posts
im glad it works but remain unconvinced that was the problem or only problem. im sorry replay addict wanted to turn this into an argument. the point of these forums is to help other people with ur own experiences and knowledge and many times they may be wrong or not help. whether other people agree or not with ur ideas is irrelevent . i refraned from replying to his insults. continuing there would draw the attention of the moderator and i will not be responding to anything hes got to say for a while if ever--d
p.s. mllyod did not take offense to my original reply and it of course was not an attack on him just because the caps lock was left on during the begginning of it!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts