AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 3 5040's hooked up by Ethernet, with a Linksys router to my cable modem. I also have two PC's running Win2000 pro (same problem when WinXP Pro was installed) on the same network.

Ever since the replays were put on the network, both computers now have an annoying "blink" about every 90 seconds.

If a Windows explorer window is open, when the blink happens, it closes all explorer windows and also the icons, wallpaper, etc. disappear for about 3 seconds. Then the icons and wallpaper come back, but not the Explorer windows--its like a blink. Also, if you are searching for a file, the search window also closes. IE, Word and other apps are not affected. Its like something is polling for information or something, but its really annoying.

I temporarily disconnected the replays and the problem went away.

I did a quick search and didn't see anything about this, so sorry if it has been asked and answered.

But what is this and how do I stop it, any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
You running DHCP? I have no idea what is doing this unless it's some IP conflict.

How's your net configured, PCs, router and ReplayTV?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Are you using the Replay Photo Transfer Software? I was, and that was the cause of these blinks and explorer closings. Use DVArchive or search for the other photo transfer software and get rid of the Replay transfer software.

·
Registered
40 Posts
YUP!!

Seen it happen on my machine too! However, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with whether the Replay is connected or not.

I have XP Pro running on my PC. Everyting connected to my DL 704P.

I have narrowed it down to installation of Replay's photo sharing software. When its installed, I get this BLINK problem that you're talking about. Its extremely annoying since it tends to close applications.... its weird.

Anyhoo, I uninstalled it (since I'm using DVA anyhow). Everything back to normal.

·
Registered
841 Posts
For what it's worth . . . .

I have four 5000 series boxes on our home network. There are also four PC's, all running XP Home, and an HP network printer. This network is a mix of wired and wireless D-Link gear. I have never seen this blinking you describe.

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's the photo transfer software as well. It causes XP's desktop/explorer to reset very often. Un-install it and put it back on only long enough to load photos as needed.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I don't see the problem and I've never installed the replayTV Photo software. I've always used DVA for photo stuff. DVA is very robust and I love it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Removed the photo transfer and problem solved, THANKS.

Can't believe I suffered so long and the solution was right under my nose.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I wondered if it might be the Replay software. The same issue started cropping up on my XP system after I made a couple of changes to my network, the picture transfer software being one of them.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of isolating the problem.

Has anyone see this on non-XP systems like Win2K? If not then I might consider moving the transfer software to a Win2K box that I have available.

Thanks,

Mike H.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That's a good question, you should try it and report back. Fortunately there are other Photo options and it's also very easy to install and remove the Replay photo software as well.

I played with the photos for a while, but large photo collections on the Replay is not very good, photo screen saver is not very good. So now for best stability I use the default screen saver and leave Photos to other devices.

I tried the Linksys Media Server route for photos, but it's companion software on the PC causes big startup delays while it syncs up my large photo database.

So I ended up setting up the HT PC to access the family photo archives, which after 10 years of digital photo shooting, is huge. Now it's fast and easy.

Maybe the new ROKU would be cool for this...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have a 4000 series. And have made extensive use of the photo capabilities as digital photography is one of my other hobbies. I have lot's of shots of the grandchildren at various holidays all saved to the ReplayTV in separate folders. Depending on the time of the year, I activate one of the folders to be used for the ReplayTV screen saver.

I've never seen any kind of "blinking" or lockups as has been described here. Which might only mean it could be a 5000 issue.

When we have company and the TV is going, I usually put it on pause, which then starts the photo show. Makes for a nice conversation peice.

Point is I've been using the RPTV photo feature very heavily. And have no problems with any of the other computers on the same LAN. A Win2K, XP, and ME system.

I wonder if you guys are using a switch or a hub?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have many switches in my system, 4000 version Replays. The Replay photo software crashes (causes explorer to restart) about every 10 minutes or more. I worked with SB with a new patch, but it never fixed it and then they gave up working on it. The Replay itself works pretty good, but I prefer dedicated boxes, seperate MP3 server, seperate picture server. That's just me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Rempalski
That's a good question, you should try it and report back.
No promises that it will happen this weekend, but it's looking more and more likely that I'm going to have to reimage the Win2K box I mentioned. When I do, I'll install the Replay picture software and report if the "blink" issue crops up.

Mike H.

·
Registered
142 Posts
From what I had heard the problem only affects XP, not 2k or 98. FWIW, I had the same problem running the photo software on XP Pro.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I managed to find the time this weekend to rebuild my spare Win2K box (reformat primary hard drive and do a clean install of the OS). The Replay Picture software is installed and everything looks fine - no periodic crashes of Windows Explorer.

It does indeed look like the "blink" issue is limited to XP.

Mike H.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.