AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all! I recently switched to DirecTV (soon to be Dish I guess :confused: ) over my local Comcrap "digital" cable provider with the purchase of a Toshiba DST-3000 receiver. This receiver combines DirecTV, DirecTV provided locals, as well as OTA channels into one guide.

I've reintegrated my Replay 3060 back into the mix and set it up with the DirecTV with locals option. I now get all the DirecTV channels and DirecTV provided locals in the Replay guide, but not the OTA. So, my question is, is there any way to get the 3060 to include the OTA channels in the guide? If not, is there any way one can tune the Replay to the OTA channels that the DST-3000 obviously provides?

This is critical for me as DirecTV does NOT broadcast any UPN locals, and I really don't want to miss 'Enterprise'. Thanks for any info.

Gary

·
Registered
330 Posts
you can do a manual record to the toshiba on whatever line input you are feeding it to the replay. the only problem is making sure the toshiba is programmed properly using its internal tuners. i have a dtc 100 and use it with the replay both in the program guide for direct tv and via manual record and dtc timers for ota.

levytv

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the reply levytv!

Yeah, I was afraid this would be the only way I could do this. I had hoped to be able to program the Replay so that it could routinely record weekly UPN shows (not carried on DirecTV) without me having to baby sit my set up.

At a minimum I could set the Replay to record a weekly show that runs at the same time as 'Enterprise' and pad it to start a minute early. Then set the DST-3000 to "autotune" to the OTA channel (UPN) at the correct time and the Replay would be none the wiser. Unfortunately, I'd have to remember to set up the DST-3000 for each such program on the day it was to air, which defeats one of the main benefits of the Replay (making it more of a VCR than something you set and forget).

Oh well. I think my 3060 may have solved part of the problem for me.

(About to go into a long rant, so skip this explaination if you've no interest or time....)

I went to set something to record last night and found I have no program information in the channel guide! I thought the unit had been dialing in correctly, and have had no messages indicating otherwise, so I don't know what the problem is. I tried a forced net connection and had several disconnects, server hang ups, etc., but at least these left a message. Finally got one of the connections, though it lasted about 45 minutes, to finish. But, when I checked the guide, still no program info!

I've tried changing my setup from DirecTV with locals to just DirecTV and letting it connect, but then had connection failures again (even after switching dial in numbers!). Before I left for work today (5:30 am) I tried another forced net connect to see if it will load the program info, but the connection AGAIN was very slow and I had to leave before it finished! So, I'll see if anything improved when I get home tonight.

Long story short(er), with the various Replay connection problems that seem to come and go at a whim, the inability to autorecord OTA signals from my DST-3000, the hit or miss results of using the IR blaster, the noted deterioration of the PQ recording from the DST-3000, and now the lack of program data, I think it's time to give up on my Replay.

(Long explaination mostly over)

With CC selling the DirecTivo's at $99, I've decided to pick up a second one to replace the Replay (the first is in the living room, while the Replay had centerstage in the family room). The DirecTivo will not have the PQ issues (since it records the digital data directly), nor the kludgy IR blaster and I can mirror the Tivo service costs with the first unit.

I realize this does not advance the OTA recording issue, but the solution mentioned above will work until DirecTV begins carrying UPN, which I heard may be required after next January. I further realize that DirecTV was just sold to EchoStar, but believe that the consolidation of the two services will take at least a year or two, during which time my minor investment in DirecTivo (2 @ $99 plus 1 Tivo service fee) will be quite low when viewed as a monthly cost over that period of time.

In conclusion (sorry for the length), I'm gonna miss my Replay, but since my switch to DirecTV over my crappy cable system, this change was probably inevitable....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.