AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently signed up for intelliflix...I'm not sure if it's better then netflix yet as I have not used it long enough but for $8.25 a month for unlimited rentals (3 out at a time) I figured I would give it a shot...my replay has increased it's usefulness because I can dump a dvd to the replay to be viewed at my convenience and then return the dvd to get the next one in my queue. I of course delete the show once I've actually watched it so I believe all of this is perfectly legal but was curious what other people's thoughts on this were. It's more a case of timeshifting then anything else I would think.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
famewolf,

My advice to you is dump Intelliflix ASAP. They are shysters! Netflix may be more expensive, but they are an honest, well run company. They also have a much faster turn around time on their DVD's. If you watch a lot of movies, this fact alone will justify the higher monthly rate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with the other posters. Please cancel your subscription to Intelliflix. They may seem cheap at first however if you ever report a lost dvd you will be charged $25. I had a subscription with them for about a year and had 1 DVD reported as lost. I then cancelled my subscription and 6 months later all of the sudden I get this $25 fee charged to my card from them. When emailing them they responded saying I had reported a dvd as lost. I have never had this problem before with neither netflix now I am with blockbuster. After making several phone calls to their hq and after threatening a lawsuit they basically said we cannot refund your money. Get far far away!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm I appreciate all the good advice and wish I had asked BEFORE I signed up however at this point I think I'm gonna have to ride this one out. I paid for the "superpass" which is an ANNUAL subscription to get the $8.25 a month price and after reading the fine print they do not re-imburse you for unused portions of your subscription. That in itself tells me I should have gone with another company but I didn't pay enough attention to the fine print. Even if I cancel now I'm still going to be out the full price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I understand you are stuck at this point. Just make sure you are super careful and if you do happen to lose a dvd make sure you send them an email and keep copies of them for sure!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seems like you get what you pay for... which is why I stay with Netflix... one day turnaround, lots of inventory, only a couple of scratched discs in 4 yrs, and REALLY no late fees (unlike the blatantly mis-leading Blockbuster)... but what caught MY eye in your post was...
Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf
my replay has increased it's usefulness because I can dump a dvd to the replay to be viewed at my convenience
how do you "dump a dvd to replay"?

Thanks,

SM

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyM
what caught MY eye in your post was...

how do you "dump a dvd to replay"?

Thanks,

SM

Might not be most elegant way but my dvd has svideo out going to svideo in on the replay along with audio...I tune the replay to the correct input..had the dvd player on and ready to play the dvd...hit the record button twice on my remote which brings up a manual record...change the time to the length of the dvd plus a few extra minutes (102 minute dvd I might use 1 hour 45 minute for example) and have it start recording..I then switch to DVD and hit the PLAY button which starts the dvd...and then you can go into the replay guide and rename Manual recording to whatever you recorded using the online keyboard or a webtv keyboard if you have one....

The replay doesn't care about the macrovision.

·
Registered
498 Posts
i was about to sign up for intelliflix until i read the rest of the posts here! i've been on netflix a long time but stopped over the summer. btw, if you ever have a broken or lost dvd with netflix, you get a new one sent out, no questions asked and you aren't billed for it either. basically an honor system, you could hold on to it if you really wanted but i'm sure they would start to investigate more the average # of missing...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkramer
i was about to sign up for intelliflix until i read the rest of the posts here! i've been on netflix a long time but stopped over the summer. btw, if you ever have a broken or lost dvd with netflix, you get a new one sent out, no questions asked and you aren't billed for it either. basically an honor system, you could hold on to it if you really wanted but i'm sure they would start to investigate more the average # of missing...
Netflix really is very good about lost/broken discs. I've had 2 broken, 3 lost in 5 years, with never a question/comment from them. A friend was getting his delivered to the office, and someone at the mail courrier service apparently has sticky figures. After 8 losses in 2 months, Netflix suspended his account. He called, changed his delivery address to his house, and they immediately shipped out his pending discs.

I really can't say enough good things about Netflix as a service that gives great value for the cost.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well since I've joined them on the 15th they have sent me 3 items...and today they are preparing to ship out the 4th....(I used the "on the way back" feature)...however out of a queue of around 40 items these were towards the bottom and ALL 4 movies have release dates of 2004 or earlier. NO new releases. I have 35 items left in my queue...be curious to see how they do when only new releases are left.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
MacroVision doesn't prevent a ReplayTV from recording, but it cannot be sent by internet video sharing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.