AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I think the greater issue here is why you're commiting a federal crime and admitting it on a public forum :D

By blackbox, do you mean illegal cable descrambler? If so, no. You'll need a cable box to do the descrambling, then from there into the Replay.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
don't be so hard on him randy...

k2dart most of us l33t haxors on the avsforum turned our replays into black boxes months ago...i can't post the details here in an open forum but the only hard part is getting your cue cat hooked up to the replay, after that we were able to get the replays to act as black boxes, dss cards, enable the 2nd tuner and figure out how to trick tivo into paying us a monthly fee

just get the cue cat going and the rest is cake

(the cue cat can also be used to uncap your cable/dsl connection)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Agree with the Cue Cat working great. However, the Tivo fees are not keeping up with the kitty litter expenses - the clumping kind costs a lot more than the shredded newspaper.:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
I think the greater issue here is why you're commiting a federal crime and admitting it on a public forum :D
Actually, I think this is fairly common. When the installer was installing my Cable modem he pointed out that if I hook a TV up to that line I could get free HBO and Cinemax. He said that a large number of homes he visits are using a setup of that type.

While it my be illegal, in my area they don't appear to be looking for it.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Serra
When the installer was installing my Cable modem he pointed out that if I hook a TV up to that line I could get free HBO and Cinemax.
Without a cable box at all? How is that possible?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Some cable systems don't treat HBO and/or Showtime as premium and have them available unscrambled as part of the basic analog feed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not a big thing that i split my cable modem wire. it is a form of "stealing". but the cable companies don't look for that. In fact, the guy who installed my cable modem was the one who told me that i was able to split the wire up and get free analog cable channels

·
Registered
700 Posts
If you split your cable to line and run it into multiple TVs or Tivos or whatever, it is not stealing. The cable company cannot charge you for running the signal they provide into an extra TV or ten.

You can find more information here.

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/csgen.html

"In addition, customers may connect additional wiring, [bold]splitters[/bold] or other equipment to the cable operator's wiring, or redirect or reroute the home wiring, so long as no electronic or physical harm is caused to the cable system and the physical integrity of the cable operator's wiring remains intact."

I believe that this wasn't always the case, but it sure is today. So split away! Wire up your whole house! :)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
That is fine except for outfits like TimeWarner in NYC (at least) where the analog channels seldom appear at their assigned slots when using a cable tuner enabled device. So if you split away, while you do get the channels, you have to perform mental gymnastics to keep track of where the channel is "hiding". For example, to get ch 2WCBS i have to tune to ch 12, ch 9WOR tune to ch 20, ch 21 WLIW tune to ch 69.

Or hack the Replay's channel mapping file which is not without its problems.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Horseflesh,

Splitting a paid cable line isn't stealing. But stealing cable from an @Home cable modem line IS. They may never find out about it, but let's not kid ourselves. It may be victimless and commonplace, but it is illegal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.