AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, DVA and my Replays have been giving me lots of grief over the past few days. I've had good luck with DVA in the past, but I mainly used it to take shows off the Replay so I can burn them to DVD. Anyhow, due to a recent drive upgrade, I've been trying to use DVA for another purpose..... to serve up shows to my Replays. After many hours of troubleshooting, searching through the forum/FAQs here and the DVA forum/FAQs, I have made some progress, but I'm still stuck. Finally am going to turn to other members here for some help.

So, here's the setup:

3 Replays

2 Computers running DVA

1 Linksys WRT54GS running Free-Man/Basic 1.0.4

1 Buffalo WBR2-G54

Replay#1 connected directly to Linksys Router

Replay#2 & #3 connected directly to Buffalo Router

Linksys and Buffalo router connected wirelessly via WDS

Computer#1 connected wirelessly to Linksys Router

Computer#2 connected wirelessly to Linksys Router

D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 in both computers

So, here's what actually works:

- Replays can all see each other and stream to each other

- Computers can see each other and send/receive shows

- Computers can see all the Replays and offload shows from Replays

- Replays can all see both computers and knows the DVA names for each

- Computers can ping each other and the Replays

What doesn't work:

- None of the Replays can see the guides from either computers DVA

What I've done so far:

- Disabled all (known) firewalls on the PCs and Router

- Enabled UPnP on the router

- Gave the computers and Replays static IP addresses (although the Replays are running DHCP and the router is assigning IP addresses based on their MAC addresses)

- Verified UPnP is enabled on both DVA machines and reset the Serial Number and UUID whenever changing from wired to wireless connection (each has their own static IP).

- Rebooted computers, Replays, DVA and routers countless times.

What has worked:

- Disabling my wireless connection on computer#1 and wiring it straight to the Linksys router. This lets ONLY Replay#1 to see the DVA (and more importantly the shows stored on DVA) on computer#1, the remaining Replays still can't see DVA's show list on computer#1.

My conclusion:

I believe there is a slight chance there is something wrong with the settings on the D-Link cards (although when I look through the settings, there really isn't much I can change which looks like it would affect anything. I mainly believe there is some configuration problem in the Linksys router. I've tried enabling many of the settings as well as disablings some settings with not much luck. Since it is a common point in all this, that's probably the place to go. My problem is that I don't know what should be enabled and what shouldn't be.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd rather give out too much information than not enough.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace987
...So, here's what actually works:

---snip---

- Replays can all see both computers and knows the DVA names for each

What doesn't work:

- None of the Replays can see the guides from either computers DVA

What I've done so far:

---snip---

- Enabled UPnP on the router

- Verified UPnP is enabled on both DVA machines and reset the Serial Number and UUID whenever changing from wired to wireless connection (each has their own static IP).

What has worked:

- Disabling my wireless connection on computer#1 and wiring it straight to the Linksys router. This lets ONLY Replay#1 to see the DVA (and more importantly the shows stored on DVA) on computer#1, the remaining Replays still can't see DVA's show list on computer#1.
SEARCH either here, or over at the DVArchive Forum, for a message (possibly from sfhub, maybe j.m.) regarding some wireless routers, bridges, ??? not passing uPnP properly - it seems to ring a bell as something that I've read recently (but I've been reading MANY archives - probably not in the pre-06/30/04 AVS stuff though - don't go there too much)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couldn't find anything searching here or the DVA forum. There was an issue with the D-Link router, but that's one piece of equipment not in my setup.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Couldn't find anything searching here or the DVA forum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub on 07-26-05 @ 01:30 AM
Most likely your game adapter is not passing certain broadcast packets. When Replays startup, they send a SSDP:Notify to special broadcast address 239.255.255.250

Most of us are using Broadcom-based WDS bridges, which in most firmware releases do pass the information properly across the bridge.

I highly suggest Broadcom-based WDS bridges like Buffalo, Belkin, and Linksys (with custom firmware) as WDS is a true bridge, unlike MAC-masquerading bridges like gaming adapters.
Source

Search Parameters:
  • Key Word(s): +packet* +router* pass* forward* process*
  • User Name:
  • Forum: ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Dang fussy/"buggy"/weird Search Engine here! :( I *KNEW* I read it recently... ;)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand
Source
That really wouldn't help. The thread there (which I already read through before you posted it) involves a PC running DVA and a Replay NOT being able to see each other because of the use of a game adapter.

My Replay and computer can see each other, it's just that the Replay can't see the DVA guide from the computer unless it is wired. The thread also mentioned some stuff about WDS. While I use WDS, the link I am trying to establish doesn't go from router to router via WDS, it just goes straight from my computer to the Linksys router connected directly to the Replay (at least the one I am trying to connect to).

Perhaps I'm missing something from that thread, but the part you quoted has nothing much to do with my problem.

Thanks for trying though, I do really appriciate it. I'm going to post my original problem and perhaps a link to the thread here on the DVA forum in hopes someone over there can help me.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Quote:
...My Replay and computer can see each other, it's just that the Replay can't see the DVA guide from the computer unless it is wired...
From what I've read, you're mixing WIRELESS vendors:
  • 1 Linksys WRT54GS running Free-Man/Basic 1.0.4
  • 1 Buffalo WBR2-G54
sfhub mentions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub on 07-26-05 @ 01:30 AM
...Most of us are using Broadcom-based WDS bridges, which in most firmware releases do pass the information properly across the bridge.

I highly suggest Broadcom-based WDS bridges like Buffalo, Belkin, and Linksys (with custom firmware) as WDS is a true bridge, unlike MAC-masquerading bridges like gaming adapters.
Quote:
...The thread also mentioned some stuff about WDS. While I use WDS, the link I am trying to establish doesn't go from router to router via WDS, it just goes straight from my computer to the Linksys router connected directly to the Replay (at least the one I am trying to connect to).

Perhaps I'm missing something from that thread, but the part you quoted has nothing much to do with my problem.

Thanks for trying though, I do really appriciate it...
Although I cannot help you directly, I'm hoping that something I read and related might "trigger a lightbulb" for you. Maybe sfhub or j.m. will see this thread (or maybe you'll PM one of them).

If it "works" WIRED, but doesn't work WIRELESS, then:
  1. Maybe the Linksys WIRELESS is incompatible with the Buffalo WIRELESS?
  2. Maybe the Linksys firmware needs to be upgraded [Linksys (with custom firmware) as WDS is a true bridge]?
  3. Maybe the Buffalo firmware needs to be upgraded?

Only one of the "gurus" will really know the answer... :)

Best of luck to you in your quest! ;)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I know I'm mixing wireless vendors. However, remember several points:

- All 3 Replays can stream to/from each other over that supposedly bad WDS link.

- Both computers can offload shows from all 3 Replays

- Both computers can offload shows from each other

Now, there is some potential WDS problems. While I can see the guide from computer#1 on Replay#1 when the computer is hard wired to the Linksys router (which is also hard wired to Replay#1), Replay #2 & Replay #3 still can't see the guide from computer #1. I haven't quite figured out the cause of that problem. This might help shed some clues into my main concern which is to figure out why Replay#1 can not see the guide from computer #1.

I have tried out a few things, none of which have helped.

#1 - Had computer #2 connect wirelessely directly to the Buffalo router to see if I can see it's guide any of the Replays - same results, Replays could see DVA on computer #2, but couldn't see the guide.

#2 - Disabled the D-Link wireless card in computer #2 and connected an old Linksys USB wireless B device using the same IP as the D-Link card. Tried connecting wirelessly to both the Linksys and Buffalo Router one as a time - same results, Replays could see DVA on computer #2, but not the guides.

Some things I may try, but my time is very limited this week:

- Disable WDS on the Linksys router

- Disable WDS on the Buffalo router

- Remove the Sveasoft firmware on the Linksys router and try the current official Linksys firmware for the router.

- Install DVArchive on my laptop and try a few things out with it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ace, I have a nearly identical setup, except I have two WRT-54G Linkses running Sveasoft (Alchemy) and I have the WBR-54G Buffalo. I have the same problem as you. My Mac is connected to one Linksys, which serves as the router. The two Replays each connected to a Buffalo and a Linksys. The Replays can see the DVA servers on the other side of the wireless network, but can't see the guides. Also DVA has some trouble downloading shows from the Replays occasionally. Unfortunately, I'm stumped too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.