AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this hasn't been asked before - I did a search on 'text' and couldn't find anything similar. Here goes...

Starting probably a couple days ago I've noticed that the text that appears in my Replay Guide is suddenly hard to read - it's somewhat 'fuzzy' looking, and hard to read. Though still legible, I find myself straining my rapidly aging eyes to read the words.

The picture out of the Replay looks just great - I connect with S-Video - and the Menu screen seems fine. I'm at work now (don't tell the boss) and can't recall if the Channel Guide is also hard to read.

I've forced connected a couple times, rebooted as well - same story. Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Is your TV set a Sony? Did you change the picture mode?

On my Wega, the only acceptable setting for the menus to be legible is the Movie setting. All others produce godawful text.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I was going to offer up the... check you tv's brightness and contrast settings. Picture will look good, but small text awful and fuzzy if contrast and/or brightness are set too high.

I had a tosh set that had a nice little (read heavy sarcasm) reset button that would "reset" your set to a default state. Too bad the default contrast was 100 and brightness was high too.

This setting would make all small text fuzzy and unreadable. I even had a tech look at the problem when he was looking at other stuff. Imagine my shock when my "calibrated" set was fixed by bringing the contrast back to a "normal" level. Boy was I pissed.

When the TV is properly calibrated the replayTV text looks great.

Maybe you've got a similar problem?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BaysideBas - No, it's a Panasonic that has worked with ReplayTV well for quite a few months now.

Jeff D - I didn't think to check the picture settings, as *I* haven't touched them recently. Seeing as how my seven year old and her friends can sometimes sit on and send errant signals to the TV, this is something I'll check - thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
230 Posts
DaJoos,

I'm having the exact same problem... wasn't sure if it was my eyes playing tricks or what.... Thought maybe my S-Video cable was going bad.

And mine just starting a few days ago, after several months of no problems (like this anyway). Must be the latest software build.

ReplayTV 5080

Sony KP65WS500 HDTV

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I found out the problem - it was simply a case of the 'Sharpness' setting on my TV getting too high. It made the text pretty much unreadable but left the picture looking OK.

I'm only admitting to my dumb mistake for two reasons - 1) Jeff D was kind enough to steer me in the right direction wo/making me feel stupid, and 2) AmeobaMan is seeing the same thing too (I'd suggest looking at your TV settings!). I guess I'm so gun-shy about problems with my 5000-series Replay I automatically blame the latest 'build' - pretty soon I'll imagine it's the reason for all the recent rain!

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
DaJoos, Thanks for the update. Good to know you got it cleared up. Just imagine how "dumb" I felt when the service guy fixed the "problem". At least I had the remote to blame. =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.