AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to make major upgrades to my setup and would like to improve the source input (i.e. better tuner) to the ReplayTV. I'll be getting a new LCD TV and a not too expensive AV receiver (maybe HTIB, maybe components). My regular TV source will remain analog cable with no converter box since OTA doesn't work well where I live. Is there any way I can use the standard def/ clear QAM tuner in a new AV receiver to feed the Replay so that I could improve the source signal? It seems to me that the main issue would be getting new IR blaster codes into the Replay, right? If that's not possible, are there any tuners that I can hook up to the analog cable feed that will utilize the clear qam and/or better quality tuner to generate a high quality (S-video?) output for the replay? Any guidance would be appreciated, including brand/model recommendations.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. Liz's replaytvs are currently recording local channels from antenna, but her service provides a large clearqam lineup. If I could find a clearqam stp that could be controlled by rtv5000s, we'll have some happy no-rental access to lots of shows in the future.

I'm hoping for out of the box model numbers, or model numbers that can work with a code patched replaytv.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
in a PC, the myHD MDP 130 is a reliable clear qam tuner...

another is HD Homerun.

not aware of a clear QAM retailed STB.... but then again, I've not been looking!

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohns /forum/post/15533287

not aware of a clear QAM retailed STB

There are a few. Check the list in the "HDTV Hardware" forum's STB sticky. I think the "Centronics" is about the cheapest one that people seem to be buying the most lately. There's a dedicated thread there on it.

Don't know if the threads tell you if any can be controlled by the rtv5000, though. I doubt if the most prevalent one, the Samsung DTB-H260F can - seems no HDD/DVD recorders can control that one. You could ask over there - maybe somebody's using one of the models with a Replay.

But most or all of the ones listed in that thread are only clear-QAM (and ATSC), and don't do NTSC (which you might want with analog cable).

One that I think they fail to mention that's still available (thru Amazon, I know), and that does both clear-QAM and NTSC, is the PrimeDTV PHD-205. Not sure if that can be controlled by IR blaster either, though. There are some reviews there (on Amazon) that might be able to tell you something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts