AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever been watching tv and for no reason the DISH "description" of what is currently on pops up on screen?

Then after a few munites it may go away?

What causes that and how do you fix it? If it happens while you are away and recording it can messup the channel change.

:(

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
What model Dish receiver are you using? Of course the banner appears and fades at the start and finish of every recording (when the Replay resends the channel #s). If what you are seeing is the more detailed translucent info box you should look to see if your UHF remote is under the cushion? If you have that model and know your dish remote wasn't bumped when this happens then it's likely a neighbor could be using UHF on that remote address (1) if that is the case and you don't know which neighbor to convince them to change remote address #, and also you don't have a non UHF dish receiver to use with the Replay you will have to unhook the UHF remote antenna from the back of the dish box and just use IR. Replay only blasted remote address 1 last time I set this up?? Chances are someone's bumping the remote if that is the only effect (no spontaneous channel changes?) I've never seen a dish receiver 3900/4900 land on that screen for no reason and the Replay blaster will never call that "info" screen that I know of.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StuckOnReplay
Has anyone ever been watching tv and for no reason the DISH "description" of what is currently on pops up on screen?
It goes away when it times out (if it times out). Are you using in IR blaster? If you look in the alt.dbs.echostar newsgroup and search on "info", you'll find a bunch of messages regarding the problem. Apparently DishNetwork changed something in their software that makes the receiver more susceptible to infrared noise. (Although when I e-mailed DishNetwork support directly, they denied there's any problem with their equipment or receiver software, pointing a finger instead at the IR blaster).

I solved the problem by completely covering the infrared sensor opening on the receiver with electrical tape. The only hitch is I have to remove the tape to use the DishNetwork remote, but it works fine otherwise with the ReplayTV IR blaster.

The other way to work around it is to change the code on the DishNetwork remote from 1 to 2. But then the ReplayTV IR blaster no longer functions with the receiver, so that's not an acceptable work around if you have ReplayTV.

The ideal fix would be to get ReplayTV to work with the DishNetwork receiver set to remote code 2.

-Gary

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Yes IR blaster fort is always a good idea and maybe why I've never seen this one with "info" (what models was it Gary? My news server didn't turn up anything recent)

And I sure second this one:
Quote:
Originally posted by l8er

The ideal fix would be to get ReplayTV to work with the DishNetwork receiver set to remote code 2.

-Gary
Hope we see this on the 4000 (blaster support for all Dish remote addresses while we're waiting for Echostar's DirectTV)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a plan.. I will try it!

Quote:
Originally posted by l8er

It goes away when it times out (if it times out). Are you using in IR blaster? If you look in the alt.dbs.echostar newsgroup and search on "info", you'll find a bunch of messages regarding the problem. Apparently DishNetwork changed something in their software that makes the receiver more susceptible to infrared noise. (Although when I e-mailed DishNetwork support directly, they denied there's any problem with their equipment or receiver software, pointing a finger instead at the IR blaster).

I solved the problem by completely covering the infrared sensor opening on the receiver with electrical tape. The only hitch is I have to remove the tape to use the DishNetwork remote, but it works fine otherwise with the ReplayTV IR blaster.

The other way to work around it is to change the code on the DishNetwork remote from 1 to 2. But then the ReplayTV IR blaster no longer functions with the receiver, so that's not an acceptable work around if you have ReplayTV.

-Gary

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
(what models was it Gary? My news server didn't turn up anything recent)
I've got a 301 but others are affected as well from what I read. Some of the messages I saw about the problem in alt.dbs.echostar were starting on 10/24/01 with the subject: "info box keeps popping up" and on 10/24/01 with the subject: "information screen keeps cycling".

-Gary

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Thanks Gary... my news server only goes back to Oct 31 on that one. But I do think I'm spared of this with the 3900/4900 probably for several reasons (maybe they haven't changed our firmware/software) but even if they did I have mine on back-ups so they never power down - I don't turn off. And I even think I have em set to not accept software upgrades. On top of that I have fort knox IR forts already. @ least I should be safe.

One time my echcostar receiver (4900) had a mind of its own doing random things and it turns out it was the UHF remote between the cushions. BTW are you controlling your 301 with the Replay? Wouldn't that be double pseudo PVR jeopardy?? Or just more reliable...:)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Gary... my news server only goes back to Oct 31 on that one. .... BTW are you controlling your 301 with the Replay?
You can view the newsgroups via deja.com, the "information screen keeps cycling thread is here: http://groups.google.com/groups?num=...t.dbs.echostar , while the "info box keeps popping up" thread is here: http://groups.google.com/groups?num=...t.dbs.echostar . And yes, I am controlling the 301 solely through the ReplayTV box. Works great as long as I don't end up on a PPV channel.

-Gary

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Thanks for the heads up and the link (knew there was an archive somewhere) As it turns out I am still safe from it even though these units were the ones most affected but mine shipped from Charlie with the new software already on them... don't know how that could differ from what was sent down to the others go figure.

Quote:
BTW are you controlling your 301 with the Replay? Wouldn't that be double pseudo PVR jeopardy?? Or just more reliable...:)
...sorry for the smart comment I was thinking of the 501 with the drive. The 301 is really just a sleek 4900 w/o optical out, UHF, extra outputs. These have worked out so well for me with the Replays I guess I just take it for granted. Well the important thing is Sonic Blue include *E blaster "unit" selection in the 4000's. Maybe the signal it sends now is universal in that it works all 15 (so address 2 would work anyway?) But I haven't checked that because I had a Tivo doing 2 but now they are all set to 1)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.