AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been calling the CS 800 number for the past 3 days. Yesterday, after two days of the "we've got too many calls messages" I finally get through, right to hold music an a message about "how my call is important and please wait". I spent 40+ minutes on hold waiting for CS a the 1800 number to finally get through to a headset with no employee on the other end!!! I tried and tried to get the attention of someone nearby... as you can guess no luck.

When I got home I got on the line around 6:30. I was on hold til 11pm. Not thinking I'd be getting the same message if all the CS reps had gone home I stayed on hold. The message never changed.... "Your call is important please hold." After 11 I hung up. I know the CS dept was only suppose to be there til 8, but I never got a message telling me anything other than to wait. I would understand if anything other than leaving me on hold were done. In good faith you were telling me to hold for a reason I waited.

Today I tried again, this time 50 minutes on hold and I got through.

The rep handled my first problem having to do with an RMA just fine.

I then brought up the issue of the new rebate. I purchased my replay 5040 last week from goodguys.com. It arrived on the 11th. On the 12th replay offered a second $50 rebate.

I asked the CS rep I had on the phone about this. They said there is nothing they can really do because I bought the unit before the 12th. I was also asked to contact the place I purchased the unit from. I'm off to goodguys.com customer service.

The response from GG.com isn't much more helpful. Not only can they NOT do a "fake" return and buy, where I wouldn't have to actually send the unit back, but I would have to send the unit back and order a new one. Well.... that's not cool, to add to that GG.com will hit you with a 15% restocking fee on a returned item. The goodguys.com rep also said he's has A LOT of calls just like this and there is nothing he can do to help out.

What is a loyal replay user (3 years and counting) suppose to do here? I really don't want to return the 5040 and I really want the extra rebate (wouldn't you?)

If I don't find a good resolution to this problem the 5040 will be going back to goodguys and I will not be ordering another one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
If I don't find a good resolution to this problem the 5040 will be going back to goodguys and I will not be ordering another one.
I can understand you wanting the add'l $50 but what do you expect SB to do? The new rebate started on the 12th but you bought before then. Too bad. Just gotta accept it. That's life.

Threatening to return the unit if they don't make an exception for you seems a bit ridiculous to me.

And for the record, I'm wishing that I hadn't bought my 5040 at the end of November. I'd like the $50 too ;-)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anytime I have a problem with purchasing rebates around the wrong time, I open up Word, go to the Invoice Template and create an invoice from:

Mikes Tool Closet

or

Downtown Electronics

(depending on the product).

I put my real price and info in there and change the date.

Since I'm sending in my actual UPC, and if it sat on a shelf a day longer they would have honored it, I figure it should be allowed.

Its worked for me every time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Two options:

Edit the confirmation email. (I've done it and had it work)

Go to circuit city, buy another one and then return it. When I returned my 5040 to CC they let me keep the original receipt.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
$50, so that's the going price for self-respect these days....

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kreigerm
...Its worked for me every time.
That's totally fraud if you are redeeming rebates you don't qualify for. Why not just get the real receipt from the merchant in that case?

For those hit with a restocking fee to change the purchase date during the return period... well that's just the risk in purchasing from such a vendor. Has nothing to do with SB.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
BTW I don't believe there are any Replay employee's here to help now, even if it did have anything to do with SB.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
BTW: I believe that ReplayTV checks the time the unit connected/activated for the rebate. A friend doctored up his receipt to validate a rebate and it was declined because he had used the unit during the period when the rebate wouldn't be valid.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is not defrauding the company. Lets remember why rebates are offered

1) Marketing purposes: Since companies like Sonic don't often sell direct, this gives them a way to find out who owns the units ,etc.

2) To entice a purchase and reward a purchase. I'm not suggesting creating a fraudulent UPC, I'm talking about an actual purchase of the product.

Many companies are reasonable about missing dates by a few days because they understand that it is WORSE to have people wait to buy the product in the hopes that there will be a new rebate than to have them buy and honor the rebate.

If Sonic Blue can't see that, then that is a REALLY bad sign.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
This is not defrauding the company.
Creating a fake receipt to get a rebate is fraud, pure and simple. The bad sign here is that people don't have enough morals to see that is wrong.

-Gary

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
BTW: I believe that ReplayTV checks the time the unit connected/activated for the rebate. A friend doctored up his receipt to validate a rebate and it was declined because he had used the unit during the period when the rebate wouldn't be valid.
So what happens if you buy a unit that was previously returned?

Are you not eligible for the rebate then?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
This is not defrauding the company.
Yes, it is. Creating a fake reciept would be concidered fraud.

Quote:

Many companies are reasonable about missing dates by a few days because they understand that it is WORSE to have people wait to buy the product in the hopes that there will be a new rebate than to have them buy and honor the rebate.
From what I've seen here in the recent past, if you ordered a Replay Unit from Sonic Blue directly and a rebate came up a day or two after, they did offer to honor the rebate.

But you bought your unit from a different company, so your recourse is to see if that company can do something for you. I don't recall Sonic Blue ever helping out in these cases, but sometimes the store you bought it from will help to avoid a return of the box bought before the rebate started.

It'd be nice if Sonic Blue could do something, but they don't have to.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Heck if I know... just know that a friend bought a unit about a week before rebate period started (back in 4500 days) and faked up a receipt, and it was declined.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Nice company you keep, Randy.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
You stayed on the phone for 4 1/2 hours to save $50 on a rebate ? Wow $50 means a lot more to you then it does to me. Hey, some deals you get in on AND some deals you miss out on. That's life get over it. After all it's only fifty bucks

I paid $299 for an Xbox 4 days before it drop to $199.00. Did I flip out an tell my sister Kids to pack it up an ship it back to me ? No I missed out. I said to myself [email protected] !! my bad luck. An moved on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
I hope not.... I'm going to Circuit City tomorrow to return my 5040 and repurchase. They told me I shouldn't have a problem - I don't even have to bring the actual unit into the store, just the receipt.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Just know - if you activated and used the unit already, they know you bought it before tomorrow. They may decline the rebate (may not!)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.