Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am currently using one UTV for my Direct TV viewing. I have had no real problems with it but I am a bit frustrated at it's limitation of having no networking ability. And of course we all know it's development life is over. So, couple of questions: I am about ready to order 2 RTV 5040s from an online retailer ($149 each after rebate). I was going to place one the living room to replace the UTV (I will purchase a basic DirecTV receiver), and one in the master bedroom. My house is already wireless, although from what I have been reading here streaming can be a bit challenging through Wireless. So I can also utilize a wired network as well. In that the UTV has two tuners which I seem to utilize a lot, am I correct in assuming that with two RTV's networked I will stil be able to record two shows at once while watching a third on one of the TVS? And I can schedule recordings on both RTVs from ONE Location, right? (utililizing the latest RTV software).

Additionally, I can watch shows from either machine from either location, correct? (Especially if I use a wired network?) Can I schedule shows from the WEB to record sameday? Or is that capability still not available? Can I look at jpgs from either machine from either location? does anyone have the same setup I am proposing (RTV and DirecTV receiver) that can comment on Channel changing time; how long does it take to change channels from RTV?

I realize there is DTIVO but it does not have any networking capability and frankly, I think Replay has a nicer GUI (but not as nice as UTV). Finally, how has the quality of the 500x series been? I hesitate to spring for two 55xx as they are quite a bit more expensive then $149 (Even with lifetime subs) and my understanding is I will lose CA with that series. What would I gain?

I know, lots of questions, but I am anxious to hear from you RTV fans!

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
110 Posts
I KNOW you can do almost all of that. Not sure about sharing photos. You can schedule stuff to record on either box, you can stream from one to the other, in real time.

You can program from the web, but it still takes 24 hours or so to update the Replay.

If you wanted to watch three different DirecTV channels, you would need three DTV boxes (one for each Replay, and one for live TV). And - this is important - make sure you get a DTV box that has Replay-supported serial control (Buy two Sony SAT-B55's off of EBay - total should be under 150 bucks). IR control can be sketchy, ESPECIALLY on the Hughes DTV boxes. If you have serial control, it changes channels nearly as fast as the DirecTV - with IR it is slow and painful.

Ask the picture quality question ten times on this forum, and you'll get ten different answers. I'm not going to try and answer that except by telling you to go to a store (or better yet - a friend's house) and check out the Replay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JustDave,

Thanks for the reply. I will look for the Sonys as you suggest. If I had two, one for the living room and one for the bedroom, I could be in the living room, schedule a show comming on at 8pm to record on the bedroom RTV and then watch something else either live or recorded from the living room RTV, right? And then at 9pm I could watch whatever it was I recorded from the bedroom RTV from the living room? And finally, if I had just two receivers for DTV I could record two shows at the same time and either watch a 3rd show live, or a 3rd show previously revorded, right? (Sorry if this is redundant, but I just want to ensure I understand the technology). Bummer to hear you cannot schedule shows from the web to record on the same day. Anyway, thank you!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Yes. Yes. Not live, only previously recorded.

If you only have 2 receivers and you're recording 2 shows then you would not be able to watch a 3rd live show at the same time. You would be able to watch something you had recorded earlier.

Another tidbit - you can't stream a show until it has finished recording. If you want to start watching Alias at 8:30 in the bedroom and it's 30 minutes into recording on the living room you won't be able to watch it.

Replay has said several times they want to improve the Web recording interface (currently 24-hour blackout period) but nothing definite yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LB

Thank you. Would be tough to watch have three live shows being received on only 2 receivers. ;-) I got it now. As for the streaming issue, I was not aware of that one either. But I dont think it will be an issue for me. Thank you again for the clarifications

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The one big advantage of the dtivo is that you get digital copy, no decoding/encoding/decoding to view. It's just a copy of the encoded stream from directv.

dtivo's other great feature is the dual tuner, you can watch and record different things, or record two things at the same time. That's huge with a replay you'd need two directv tuners and two replayTVs to do the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jeff,

But if I live by myself (which I do), so it is just me moving from bedroom TV to living room TV, then with two networked RTVs I can always set up recording on the bedroom TV from the living room to record something that is on the same time I want to watch something live....at least I think I can do that. ;-)

Also, I need to get two DTV receivers...I am looking at the HUGHES Executive Director Pack receiver...does anyone know if it's data port works with RTV's Serial connection? I am finding it very difficult to find a current generation receiver that works serially with RTV.

thanks

Doug

·
Registered
184 Posts
my Hughes DTV receiver works great w/ RTV via serial port but it is no longer available, don't know about the Exec Director Pack rcvr :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.