AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a replay image (5xxx) be put on a new hard drive connecting via a usb enclosure.

It has been a while (I mean a long time) since I have dabble with this. looking to setup a RTV for the inlaws for when the watch the kids.

I am fairly certain I think the answer is no, that the HD needs connected to computer 'directly' so to speak for the process to work.

In the interest of not being flamed I am looking for a yes or no answer.

If the answer is yes, I will search to find the hows and whys.

...if you are inclined to add any additional info, well then thanks!

Still love my RTV's

Can't think of any other tech item that has maintain its usefulness well past its prime.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/18264140

Typically, it DOES work. However, there are certain USB converters that don't work. YMMV...

Henry

Agreed. I've done this successfully in the past, when the PC I was using for the upgrade had an obsolete hard drive controller onboard that couldn't recognize large hard drives.

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa /forum/post/18277196

when the PC I was using for the upgrade had an obsolete hard drive controller onboard that couldn't recognize large hard drives.

That would have to be either a really long time ago or a really old PC!

Henry

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/18278321

That would have to be either a really long time ago or a really old PC!

Henry

Both. "Really long time ago" is a relative term.

The PC in question was running W2K. It was a P4, Y2K vintage. The on-board controller could handle 120GB drives, but suffered from 128 Gigabyte-itis. I probably last used this machine in Patching capacity in 2006-ish?

The machine has since been gutted, and outfitted with a new mobo / HD. The pair of slightly used 120 GB hard drives that were in it are in 'ready reserve' as RTV replacements, should the time come.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa /forum/post/18278342

Both. "Really long time ago" is a relative term.

The PC in question was running W2K. It was a P4, Y2K vintage. The on-board controller could handle 120GB drives, but suffered from 128 Gigabyte-itis. I probably last used this machine in Patching capacity in 2006-ish?

Yes, definitley relative!
I originally had "pretty long time ago" in there, but decided that wasn't "relative" enough!
Then I realized that it could be completely recent but using an old PC because that's what you had available. So, I was trying to cover all my bases. It kind of turned out to be futile, but it just struck me right away that the reason you needed USB was because the IDE controller didn't support more than 128GB that I had to post something!
I even originally had a line saying that I was surprised with something that old that you could even use USB, but then I realized that support for USB goes way back even with 128GB IDE controllers. So, at least I took that line out before posting...

Henry

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/18278408

Yes, definitley relative!
I originally had "pretty long time ago" in there, but decided that wasn't "relative" enough!
Then I realized that it could be completely recent but using an old PC because that's what you had available. So, I was trying to cover all my bases. It kind of turned out to be futile, but it just struck me right away that the reason you needed USB was because the IDE controller didn't support more than 128GB that I had to post something!
I even originally had a line saying that I was surprised with something that old that you could even use USB, but then I realized that support for USB goes way back even with 128GB IDE controllers. So, at least I took that line out before posting...

Henry

Well, I have a couple of P2/450 MHz machines sitting around, that have native USB support (albeit 1.1 instead of 2.0 -- Good for a mouse). I installed a PCI USB card in that box so I could get USB 2.0 speeds. I managed to get W2K dual booted on one of those machines, which is sitting at my house in da woods, so that if I ever need to patch when up there, I can with a USB enclosure. I tried to get XP on that bucket, but it wouldn't take. W2K will do just fine to:

1. Serve shows via DVA.

2. Patch new HD if needed.

3. Read NTFS.

Any port in a storm, I say.

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa /forum/post/18278445

Well, I have a couple of P2/450 MHz machines sitting around, that have native USB support (albeit 1.1 instead of 2.0 -- Good for a mouse). I installed a PCI USB card in that box so I could get USB 2.0 speeds. I managed to get W2K dual booted on one of those machines, which is sitting at my house in da woods, so that if I ever need to patch when up there, I can with a USB enclosure. I tried to get XP on that bucket, but it wouldn't take. W2K will do just fine to:

1. Serve shows via DVA.

2. Patch new HD if needed.

3. Read NTFS.

Any port in a storm, I say.

Hey, I still run WiRNS on a Windows '98 machine! I started out with some POS original Windows '98 machine, then replaced it with a K2 or M3 200 Mhz or so, and now have an 800+ Mhz Athlon old HP Pavilion that I found laying around! It's been easier for me to simply move the hard drive from hardware to hardware as the PCs have died, so I'm perftectly happy that it runs just fine and I don't have to mess with it!

Henry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts