AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
I think the article is wrong and they are just totally clueless. AT&T tested the Replay units, not Tivo, like you said. They never did a Tivo test in Boston. So since they are saying these are the same units they tested back then, I'm going to have to say they are actually REPLAY units and the author of this article is just a clueless sot that has yet again hurt replay by confusing the two. I've not seen any announcement of AT&T working with Tivo which I'd expect would have been announced before they started new trials. And will they really charge customers another $9.95 for this service? That would lend credence to the Tivo brand, but they might have just made that up too, I dunno. Any independent confirmations out there besides this local paper?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No other information here as yet. But as one who is forced to use their cable service, I am pretty much convinced that both AT&T and their step-child AT&T Broadband never, EVER get anything right!

I suppose that since I am one of their cable customers they will be around soon offering me the "wonderful opportunity" to participate!

Dave W.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Since when is AT+T trying to unload broadband? They just started it 18 months ago, and are constantly adding new areas and services (local digital phone, @Home, Digital cable, etc)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by riker
I think the article is wrong and they are just totally clueless. AT&T tested the Replay units, not Tivo, like you said. They never did a Tivo test in Boston. So since they are saying these are the same units they tested back then, I'm going to have to say they are actually REPLAY units and the author of this article is just a clueless sot that has yet again hurt replay by confusing the two. I've not seen any announcement of AT&T working with Tivo which I'd expect would have been announced before they started new trials. And will they really charge customers another $9.95 for this service? That would lend credence to the Tivo brand, but they might have just made that up too, I dunno. Any independent confirmations out there besides this local paper?
Where here is one and here is a semi-official post by TiVolutionary on the subject.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Since when is AT+T trying to unload broadband? They just started it 18 months ago, and are constantly adding new areas and services (local digital phone, @Home, Digital cable, etc)
It has been widely rumored that AT&T is in the process of spinning off AT&T Broadband into it's own company, just as AT&T recently did with AT&T Wireless.

So, they're not selling the divisions, just spinning them off. AT&T seems to have this strange love affair with breaking itself up periodically.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From Reuter news service, Randy:

AT&T had announced plans to split off AT&T Broadband, but is now considering instead whether to sell it, sources familiar with the matter said last week. The Wall Street Journal, citing people familiar with the situation, said on Monday that AT&T may hold onto it, at least temporarily. AT&T rejected as inadequate a $44.5 billion offer for the unit from Philadelphia-based Comcast Corp. (CMCSK) (CMCSA) in July.

Dave W.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm missing the big deal. Anybody can buy a new TIVO for $299 and pay either $9.95 per month or $245 for a lifetime. I guess since they're now being associated with AT&T it's a good thing?? But anyone can get the same deal without AT&T.

-mitch

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mitch, AT&T + TiVo does NOT make a great deal! The only reason you're missing it is because it ain't there.

Dave W.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The "big deal" would be that AT&T will apparently be marketing these to their customers. The new boxes are smaller than the current ones, have 40 hours of capacity, and have 2 USB ports (for "future use").

It is assumed that these boxes will be optimized/customized in some ways to make it easier to work with AT&T's cable boxes, etc.

So, technologically, the boxes are not too different from what's out there. The biggest thing is the marketing aspect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by msherfey
I'm missing the big deal. Anybody can buy a new TIVO for $299 and pay either $9.95 per month or $245 for a lifetime. I guess since they're now being associated with AT&T it's a good thing?? But anyone can get the same deal without AT&T.

-mitch
What you may be missing is the fact that this is a new hardware platform. Here are the technical specs and a picture. What is different between this platform and the current stand alone units? This one is 40 hours instead of the current 20, 30 and 60 hours. It has two USB expansion ports, controls on the front of the unit (I miss these), and TiVolutionary has said that they are working on setting it up so that the unit will control the cable boxes using the serial cable instead of the IR blaster.

We don't know if the USB ports are USB 2 ports yet. Now hopefully TiVo will actually support the USB expansion ports and we don't see a repeat of the Replay Firewire fiasco.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I can't believe the ATT customers are gonna want another $10/month? Oh well maybe the existing Tivo users having trouble with the ATT cable boxes can transfer lifetime to this or maybe it will be like DirectTV one "lifetime" for the whole house. The USB is intriguing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You know it's interesting, you would think that this is the kind of deal that Replay would want to enter into with marketing their 4Ks, since the 4Ks are networked DVRs and BB dependent as well as very expensive, a deal with a BB provider like AT&T BB or a DSL company to install their service in exchange for a discount on purchasing the 4Ks could be used to help subsidize the cost of them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HoTat, don't forget that AT&T *already* ran a trial, about a year ago, with ReplayTv. It appears now that they prefer to try again, but this time with TiVo.

I know I've said this before, but it's important to keep in mind that AT&T is trying to either sell or spin-off its Broadband division.

I think that every move they make is to try and improve their position before that happens, or so that it can happen. IMHO, they will do anything they can to get more subscribers to do just that.

Since I'm a captive subscriber, I wish they'd hurry up and use the bathroom or vacate it!

Dave W.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Don't think Sonicblue isn't in this game as well.

A lot of the things that people don't understand about the new Replay boxes start to make sense when you put the functionality in a cable box....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Here is the latest article I found:

AT&T is sticking to a year-end decision.

Link

Rasheed

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree BrettStah. If AT&T was actually putting Tivo into their boxes, this would be something. Even if the customers received a significant discount in the service it might start something. Tivo is so strapped for cash I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Is AT&T or a sub company an investor in Tivo?

They way I see it, AT&T is looking sell Tivo to their customers as a added value using their techs. AT&T does not incur any costs here and probably wil receive kickbacks from Tivo just like sales reps in comission based stores like Circuity City.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by karog
CNET has the following article:

AT&T Broadband to sell TiVo boxes

karog
Yep, that would be the announcement i was looking for :mad: :eek:

·
Registered
849 Posts
It's so stupid, you'd think a broadband ISP would want to work with a broadband internet DVR like the Replay 4K!?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.