AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my replay 5040 will not skip the commercials. I have to manually skip it forward thru the commercial breaks...

any reason why? i have commercial advance on, and when i play i have the "skip commercials" option checked off...

any clue?

--Lord1234

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Short answer: It's not perfect.

On some show's it works flawlessly, on others, so-so. On some, it doesn't work at all. It all depends on the source, and as always, YMMV. I find that between the 30 second quick skip and the 7 second 'skip back' navigating through commercials manually when CA isn't working is fast and easy once you get used to it.

In my experience, it seems to work about 70-80% of the time; all depending on what networks your regularly watch. Also, your video signal affects the CA ability; the cleaner the signal, the better CA works, IMO.

*On a positive note, it does seem to be improving with each software update. Hopefully, Alcatraz (the next update) will improve it even more. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not too hopeful seeing the next generation 55xx series, will no longer support this feature.

· Registered
13 Posts
I only have that problem on a few channels that aren't very clear. It seems that the channel has to fade to black for the Commercial Advance to kick in.

And if you have some static it won't work.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
What is your video source? (Antenna, direct cable input, RCA/S-Video from cable box/Sat?)

Makes a lot of difference. I use the s-video from DirecTV receivers, and I get 80-90% reliability on ACA. Your mileage may vary significantly.

· Registered
79 Posts
After one of the software updates my 5040 stopped advancing through any commercials. I discovered that instead of turning on commercial skip with the button while the show was playing (the default was off) I had to turn it on in the setup and turn it off if I did not want it.

The default had to be "on" in setup for it to skip even 1 commercial for me. Not sure if that is still the case, cause I just leave it on now.

· Registered
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eudmin
After one of the software updates my 5040 stopped advancing through any commercials. I discovered that instead of turning on commercial skip with the button while the show was playing (the default was off) I had to turn it on in the setup and turn it off if I did not want it.

The default had to be "on" in setup for it to skip even 1 commercial for me. Not sure if that is still the case, cause I just leave it on now.
This is what I found out after the 5.0 update, as well. Change your default playback option to have CA on and it should work a lot better. It still won't be perfect, but should catch most commercials.

· Premium Member
4,316 Posts
I've also had very good luck with sat A/V feeds on recorded shows. CA *may* be better on Alcatraz, who knows, since they are supporting the 5000 machines. However, it does depend on show content and signal strength.

· Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chain777
Short answer: It's not perfect.

On some show's it works flawlessly, on others, so-so. On some, it doesn't work at all. In my experience, it seems to work about 70-80% of the time
Same here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.