AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my 5040 finally got the incremental software update to revision 350. This morning I noticed that the reboot didn't complete. Unfortunately, now the machine is hung at the 'Please Wait' screen, and had been so since 12:30am (about 7 hours). I tried both hard and soft boots with the same effect.

I just wanted to consult you guys before I make a call to tech support. The unit is relatively new. Is there anything I can do? Am I in trouble here?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Unplug all the cables except the out to the TV. Then, hard boot it. If it's still not coming up, then yes, give support a ring because it looks like you need an RMA.

Lyndon

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had tried it without the network plug in like the website said earlier today with no luck. I took the unit out and hooked up only the video out, per your advice Lyndon. As soon as I fired it up I heard the unmistakeable sound of a failed hard drive :(.

My unit is a week shy of its 90 days. I doubt this could have come at a worse time with D&M taking over operations and everything. I can't wait to see if things shape up because the 90day runs out. Lyndon, how are things looking over there? Do you think I will have a problem with all the transfers going on?

·
Registered
915 Posts
The RMA process hasn't been affected. Call in and get an RMA #. Once we receive the unit, you replacement will ship out shortly. Our normal turnaround time is 7 - 10 days.

Lyndon

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Call imediately and get that RMA NuMbER!!

Just dont think and do that call.

Trying to 'think' about it is the same thing as deadly procrastination.

Its easy to procrastinate anything that involves mail.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I don't know why, but everytime there is a new OS rolled out, there is

some percentage of users who get stuck in the infinite reboot loop.

This has never happened to me but w/o fail when the new OS comes

out I see posts about infinite reboot increase with some posts mentioning

they just got the OS update.

My guess is there was file corruption before the update came and while

the update was installing itself, it got exposed to the file corruption and

barfed.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I gave Customer Service a call and got an RMA number. In order to be without my beloved Replay for the shortest time possible I also shipped it this morning. UPS said they'll get it Monday... And the waiting begins :(.

icecow: My reasoning behind waiting was taking a gamble that it was in fact a HD issue. In that case I could have done the HD upgrade I've been contemplating since I got it. Good thing I didn't.

sfhub: I haven't been around long enough to notice the behavior you describe. I do know that when I saw my Replay turn itself on last night (it always net connects at 12:30) I was excited 'cause I knew it was update time. I found in the morning, unfortunately, that it was good and broke. Its funny you mention it, because the first thing I thought was "Oh no. My internet connection died and corrupted the software." It took me a second to realize that couldnt happen, but the bad sector idea makes sense.

ReplayLyndon: Thanks for you help :)

I'd also like to note that the HD noises didnt start until I did the hard boot this morning. I'm positive the hard drive was silent last night because I would have heard it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a 2020, so I should NOT have had an OS upgrade, right? because I just got the reboot loop problem.

My menus became scrambled all of the sudden, so I reset and now it won't boot.

I'm clearly out of warrenty, so if that's really whats going on, I'll make one attempt to reimage from the original drive, then its bye bye replay and I build a HTPC on one of my Linux boxes. The timeing of this is just too coincidental. I'm not sure I can trust D&M, and I'm more inclined to write them off than expect them to help in a reasonable manner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well to follow up on my previous message, my 2020 is apparently dead. I put the original disk back in, with only the video out to the TV, and still I get the loop. Since it's not in warranty (obviously, since I switched drives), that's pretty much it for Replay in my house. I can't afford to fix it, and since the market isn't where it was when I first bought the unit, I'm not even close to being in a position to order a new one.

I do have several computers, a few of which could easily become dedicated HTPCs. I have one already that does DVD and Divx playback, but since it uses an Xcard for the component out, I can't put Linux on it, and it's become very clear to me that MythTV is the way to go on PCs.

Oh well. When my disposable income is again high, I'll certainly choose Replay over the competitors, assuming the MPAA hasn't forced D&M to castrate the device by then.

Even with the premature death, the 2020 is the single best piece of consumer electronics I've ever purchased. It will be tough to adjust to viewing without it, but quite frankly, I don't have any choice. The only current units that are even close to acceptable capacity are far too expensive, and the subscription that is now required will not fit into my budget.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gojira
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a 2020, so I should NOT have had an OS upgrade, right? because I just got the reboot loop problem.
Disk error, disk or filesystem corruption is the most likely cause for infinite reboots. These things happen independent of OS updates. You're the first person I can remember that has said reimaging hasn't bypassed the problem. Have you tried LLF followed by reimaging (and patching) from known good image:

ftp://replay:[email protected]/

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
gojira, there was a problem back with the 2k and 3k models, you may have to search the archives, although those messages may be gone for good...

You problem sounds a bit different than others, but not too far off. These models would just get stuck on the Please Wait and then reboot and repeat. The fix I found, was to restore partition one, use the FTP site in Mikeyboy footer. But, it did sound like you tried the old disk without any luck... that may have been your best test, although not 100% sure it means a dead unit. Try Mikeyboy's image. And you sound tech enough to know to give the SS a way to discharge completely. (sit unplugged for a day, or unplug and press power a few times should do it.

And if you aren't sure you can TRUST D&M.... you got a bit of research to do. D&M is a pretty GOOD company to have behind this product! Both Denon and Marantz manufacture very good higer-end affordable equipment. But, that doesn't mean you can still afford a new one, or take the risk if you view it as a risk.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Slightly OT here, but

gojira: Do you like the Xcard you put in that PC? I've been considering one for a PC I'm putting together. It seem to work well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jeff D: I remember those messages and I'll have a look. I'll try r Mikeyboy's Image, just in case the original drive went bad inside an electrostatic bag in the back of a drawer (stranger things have happened).

I stopped the ressusication effort last night when I did for exactly the "let it discharge completely" reason you mentioned. I was astounded to find that there is basically no dust on the mainboard, as things get rather dusty in my apartment...

You're right, D&M are the best possible purchasors for Replay, and I think things will be even better with them than they were with SonicBlue. With Super-DMCA legislation getting passed all over the country, though, I'm a bit distrustful of corporations at the moment ;).

Interestingly enough, if D&M hadn't bought Replay, Yesterday would have been the day I started hacking a serial port onto my unit, so as to make my own listing server on a linux machine. The unit still would have died, and I would have thought it was something I did...

Gizmotoy: I flat out LOVE my Xcard. It gives me a better picture than my ES-series progressive scan Sony DVD deck (because I can strip macrovision, I guess). I tried using a transcoder to output from the same PC a couple years ago, but my TV (a panasonic Tau) is a little too frequency touchy, and it just doesn't work. If the thing worked under Linux, well, I'd be on my way to installing MythTV right now, even if the Replay was still functioning (you can't have too MUCH capacity for this kind of thing ;) )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update: After imaging with the file from the FTP site provided above, but not resetting the MPEG partition, I had the same result. Figuring at this point there was no saving the recorded shows, I went ahead and re-patched, and allowed it to reset the MPEG partition. This time, it repeated the cycle once, and just when I was going to unplug it and pull the drive, it shut off like its supposed to. Hit the power button, and Replay was booted.

I'm now putting my old system partition back on as an experiment.

Since the MPEG partition on the original drive must be defective as well, I'll probably set the thing up as a two drive system, if I can find the right molex power splitter in my parts drawer. No point leaving the 20 gig drive sitting in a drawer if it's useless for recovery purposes...

I'll let y'all know what happens. Thanks for the help, and the FTP repository of Images. Having a "known good" point to work from makes it a heck of a lot easier to diagnose the problem, as I"m sure you guys already know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seems to be taking a LOT longer at the Please Wait screen with my image than with the reference one. I assume that's because it's reviewing the programs that are set up, etc. It isn't resetting repeatedly, so I'll give it some time, go get a shower, etc. It's taking a lot longer than it did when it would just re-set. I don't hear any drive activity, but it does respond to a soft-powerswitch reset, so I'm assuming the machine isn't "hung".

A couple questions:

If I wind up having to revert to the reference image, will I need to "activate" again?

anything else I should know here? I remember this process taking a while the first boot up when I upgraded to the 100 gig drive, I just dont' remember exactly HOW long ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another update:

The long pause I had was because the IDE cable had come detatched from the HD when I slid the cover back on. Once I fixed that, the perpetual reboot returned with my old system partition.

I reimaged again, this time with the image that's patched for "manual time set" (might as well go ahead and get that out of the way while I'm under the hood). set the drives up for a dual drive system, and it booted right up.

Used the "hang drive two under the top half of the easy-bake on two posts moved down to the front of the case" method of mounting drive two, and put it back where it lives on my Entertainment center. Setup is about 70% done downloading guide information. I have a lot of re-setting up of shows, and I lost some series finales that I was saving until I got around to extracting them, but nothing I can't get of Usenet if necessary ;)

Thanks again for the help guys. The thing has "just worked" for so long, it was kind of a shock when it stopped.

I don't see any messages in queue about "Registering" so hopefully I'm ok there. That should be tied to the firmware serial number of the unit, and not the HD image, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmotoy
Slightly OT here, but

gojira: Do you like the Xcard you put in that PC? I've been considering one for a PC I'm putting together. It seem to work well?
It's great for playing DVDs because it scales pretty good and you get the

AC3 output, but many people who bought it for playing divx are not so

happy because it doesn't support 1/4 pixel motion compensation (QPEL)

which it seems a lot of divx movies on the net are encoded with. I only

watch DVDs using xcard so I couldn't tell you if not supporting QPEL is

a major flaw or not.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had much interest in this card because of its Divx capabilities. The fact that it added a remote helped, since it'd save me the time of building a IR receiver.

I know you mentioned you didnt have much experience with the Divx portion, but do you have any idea how to tell which movies are encoded with QPEL?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.