AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this and tired of my vcr quality. It has poor resulation with my 100" projector wen recorded on ep and sp I need more than 2 hours. I was looking at a tivo should I consider a replay and why? I have comcast digital cable and am looking for a way to record my favorite weekly tv shows in high quality.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Check out the post "Microsoft, Tivo or Replay?" from earlier today.

Moderators - maybe we should put this in the FAQs ?

Tony

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Go pick up one of each from a local store, try them both out for a few days, at the varying quality settings, and either keep both, or return one of them...

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's a great idea Brett. That way you can see if you are left-brained or right-brained:

Left-brain - "I don't know what to record, but I know what I like" -> Get a Tivo.

Right-brain - "I am logical, therefore please record the following ..." -> Get a Replay.

Tony

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tpattnaik
That's a great idea Brett. That way you can see if you are left-brained or right-brained:

Left-brain - "I don't know what to record, but I know what I like" -> Get a Tivo.

Right-brain - "I am logical, therefore please record the following ..." -> Get a Replay.

Tony
Hard to tell how facetious you're trying to be... if you really think Tivos just guess what it should record, let me know and I'll set you straight! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Light-hearted, yes. Facetious, no.

I haven't used a Tivo, but I've read that the Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down feature uses some pseudo-intelligence to record programs that you might like, but not necessarily know about. Definitely a left-brain activity. Or to be precise, the machine is handling the right-brain activity for you.

Where's Dr Toots when you need her psycho-analysis ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tony,

Suggestions are only recorded when there is unused space on your drive. You get suggestions instead of nothing. What side of the brain do you use if you would rather have nothing than something you might like with absolutely no risk?

Talk about logical all you want, but you can't tell me what will and won't record on your ReplayTv, but anyone with Tivo will check their todo list and rattle it off.

Xaa

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tpattnaik
Light-hearted, yes. Facetious, no.

I haven't used a Tivo, but I've read that the Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down feature uses some pseudo-intelligence to record programs that you might like, but not necessarily know about. Definitely a left-brain activity. Or to be precise, the machine is handling the right-brain activity for you.

Where's Dr Toots when you need her psycho-analysis ?
You're talking about an optional feature called Tivo Suggestions. If you don't like the feature, you can disable it.

Also, Tivo only tries to record these suggestions when you have the space on your hard drive available, and when nothing else is being recorded.

Even if you do disable the Auto-recording of suggestions, Tivo still maintains a screen of suggestions that you can optionally view to see if it has come up with any shows that you may want to record.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the crash course people.

This has piqued my interest slightly, and I might buy a cheap Tivo just to see what it can suggest.

Actually, that's a great idea for someone designing a TV-related Internet portal. You would register online, and tell it what shows you like. Every day you would get an e-mail telling you what shows are on - those that you like, and those that you might like.

If only this was 1999, then I could get some financial backing for that kind of idea. I wonder what a suitable domain name would be ? www.whatsontonite.com

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Actually, ,the "suggestions" feature of TiVo is one of its winningest features.

Still not enough to get me past the dancing clowns, but definitely a winning idea.

As for right/left brained? Let's all get into a PET scanner and see that we all use both sides :D.

Otherwise, I'm not getting into this one. Buy whichever the heck you like the best.

Me, I'm just holding my breath that they'll ship my new 4000s before someone files an injunction preventing them from doing so.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm not sure if you get it or not Tony, so for my own benefit I'm going to tell you that suggestions are a very very minor part of Tivo. Just the fringe.

When you tell Tivo to record something, it records it. It follows your shows when they move timeslots or days of the week. You have a UI where you can prioritize your shows and resolve conflicts yourself without having to rely on a set of rules. There is a list that shows you what will and what won't record with reasons by the shows that will not record or have been deleted.

Anyway, there are a million comparisons out there and I know there are a bunch of great ReplayTv features. I had one, and the fact that I still lurk here indicates I may again own one someday.

My recomendation to this guy here is the same as I made to his thread in the Tivo forum and that is to try them both and make what is clearly a personal choice on the feature sets.

I just want you to understand if you don't already that suggestions are a miniscule part of Tivo's feature set.

Xaa

Toots--I could live without the dancing clowns as well, but by programming macros into my Pronto and disableing the Bleeps and Bloops, I avoid most of it. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Remember the good old days, when we (TiVo and Replay people) would flame away? Ahh, I miss 'em! ;)

To see what I'm talking about, you could try this oldie but goodie. Unfortunately, all the links I posted have been deleted, but that was one of my better ones. http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Arch...-1-003565.html

BTW, Moderators, if this message is too inflammatory, feel free to delete it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xaa

I just want you to understand if you don't already that suggestions are a miniscule part of Tivo's feature set.
Suggestions are but one part of TiVo's service but if you disable them you get nothing other than what you have asked TiVo to record. Some people love Suggestions but I can read a program guide better'n a computer can match listings words in a program guide so I don't like them in principle. (I could browse channels in realtime and come up with a sampling of programs of greater or equal interest.) So I'm free to replace them with nothing!

Back in the old days when ReplayTV boxes were generally available they'd fill up their HD's on a temporary basis with whatever channel was last selected. Another use of the digital recording capability which I found a more useful way of filling a HD when the space wasn't allocated.

Just one of the myriad of li'l differences between the two recorders.

It's largely a moot point now because other than its hi end video file (videophile?) transfer specialty recorder sold directly ReplayTV is no longer generally available.

So right now TiVo is almost the only choice except for the used market.

·
Registered
866 Posts
TiVo has the "power of suggestions", me I prefer to be in the "Replay Zone"....

Take an IR to the left, a QS to the right, ....

Toot's is just way too smart, can we file an injunction so us "guy's" can remain manly men?

ReplayTV - "Banned in the USA!!!!"

Long live the bad boys of PVR!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Prior to the CC DSR6000 deal, I wouldn't have firsthand experience with TiVo. I can now make a fair comparison between the two. (sort of)

My comparison: DirecTiVo vs. Replay w/cable

Choosing what to record:

TiVo suggestions are a neat idea, but I don't think it's found anything yet worth watching.

ReplayZones and TiVo wishlists are very similar; kudos to TiVo for adopting this feature.

The TiVo channel guide just doesn't work for me and the DirecTV grid is horribly slow. Replay is much better for looking at the TV schedule.

TiVo has a major advantage by allowing the user to choose first-run only.

TiVo allows me to disable a single episode; Replay makes me kill the whole thing.

To-do list. What can I say, Replay desperately needs better conflict resolution. Finding out that I missed a show AFTER it was on bites.

Search for shows/actors/whatever with TiVo is slick, since it tries to "fill in the blanks" like my PocketPC. I don't have to type the whole thing in.

Watching a show:

Replay, without any hacks, allows me to skip 30 seconds, skip xx minutes, go back xx minutes and stop. I really miss these features when using TiVo. (Except quickskip, which I've programmed it to do.)

Unless I'm missing something, if I decide to check live TV for a minute with TiVo, it makes me trudge back through the menus to the Now Playing list. Replay is a single "Guide" button away from resuming playback.

The dual tuners are slick, but I think the "Now Playing" show should be part of the toggle. (Understanding, of course, that dual tuners are possible ONLY because no encoding is needed.)

The little progress bar at the bottom of the TiVo screen is nice, but I still prefer Replay's display screen, for some strange reason.

Picking a show to watch on Now Playing is a little annoying. I like Replay's layout. It keeps Zone shows together. I can see which Trek episodes are available. TiVo's newest first layout separates everything. And if I haven't turned suggestions off, why put the darn things at the bottom of the list?

Space management:

TiVo uses colors to let me know if a show is in danger of deletion. Replay non-guaranteed shows disappear often for unknown reasons. (e.g. even when space is still available)

TiVo also lets me choose a date of death. Replay only lets me keep until deleted or displace with a newer episode.

Program guide:

I wish one of them would indicate on the time bar of the grid when something will be recording.

The program guide is SSSLLLLOOOOWWWW in DirecTiVo. I hope the standalones aren't so horrible.

Padding:

Soft padding, please! Somebody!

FUD:

Let's face it, TiVoites try to make hay over every major Replay happening, (manufacturer -> licensing -> SonicBlue acquisition -> 4000 lawsuit) but TiVo has yet to make a profit. Acquisition by an impatient investor is quite possible. By making the first viable PVRs, both companies took risks. Small companies taking big risks are always going to have a high FUD factor.

Replay is in good hands with SonicBlue. The company has brass [email protected] Think GoVideo. Think MP3 players. Think Autoskip.

Panasonic is no Johnny-come-lately either.

Miscellaneous:

TiVo's cutesy crap can get on my nerves. Just get me where I want to go without the unnecessary BS. Did the UI programmers cut their teeth on Powerpoint?

Replay's recent apparent lack of support bothers me. There's no way they're using programmers and engineers for the phone lines. Devoting resources to the 4000 launch is a lame excuse. The CC bug and dialup failures on current units are issues that need attention. By not addressing current problems, they scare away future customers.

TiVo has done a great job a noticing what Replay does better and adding it to software updates.

Replay will apparently be leaving pre-4000 owners out to dry. "What you got is what you get, even with known bugs."

I've been fortunate to not be struck with the download problems and rarely use CC, so the problems aren't affecting me directly.

Having a "Replay brick" at 3AM is a pain. I'm on nights right now and like to watch when I get home. Let me choose when it dials or don't be a brick when dialing.

Replay menus are shallow. I don't have to wade through numerous submenus to do what I want.

Conclusion:

Replay still gets my favor, even though I now watch most of my shows on TiVo. (My wife watches mostly network shows and I can't get locals on DirecTV. Most of my shows aren't network.) If Replay would take a page from TiVo's playbook and add features where TiVo kicks its butt, there would be little hesitation. Of course, my Sutter-class machine has reached its limit, according to ReplayFolks. Maybe after the 4000 units......

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Some good points! Some of my comments inline...

Quote:
Originally posted by sixt7gt350
Prior to the CC DSR6000 deal, I wouldn't have firsthand experience with TiVo. I can now make a fair comparison between the two. (sort of)

My comparison: DirecTiVo vs. Replay w/cable

Choosing what to record:

ReplayZones and TiVo wishlists are very similar; kudos to TiVo for adopting this feature.
I really like how you can prioritize them along with your season passes with wishlists.
Quote:
Replay, without any hacks, allows me to skip 30 seconds, skip xx minutes, go back xx minutes and stop. I really miss these features when using TiVo. (Except quickskip, which I've programmed it to do.)
I agree that the 30 second skip is handy, at least for football watching! I think calling it a hack is exaggerating things a little though. “Undocumented feature†is more accurate. All you have to do is press a few buttons on the remote to turn it on or off. (When I think of hacking, I picture programming, removing hard drives, etc.)
Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, if I decide to check live TV for a minute with TiVo, it makes me trudge back through the menus to the Now Playing list. Replay is a single "Guide" button away from resuming playback.
Just press the Tivo button twice when watching Live TV. It should put you right into Now Playing, with the last show you were watching highlighted.
Quote:
The dual tuners are slick, but I think the "Now Playing" show should be part of the toggle. (Understanding, of course, that dual tuners are possible ONLY because no encoding is needed.)

The little progress bar at the bottom of the TiVo screen is nice, but I still prefer Replay's display screen, for some strange reason.

Picking a show to watch on Now Playing is a little annoying. I like Replay's layout. It keeps Zone shows together. I can see which Trek episodes are available. TiVo's newest first layout separates everything. And if I haven't turned suggestions off, why put the darn things at the bottom of the list?
Yeah, I wish there was some sort of folders/grouping feature available too. Suggestions are put at the bottom for a couple of reasons: 1) To clearly indicate that they are a different type of recording, and will be deleted if needed for your “real†recordings, and 2) to allow your “real†recordings to be listed without being interspersed with stuff you didn’t schedule to record. In other words, once you see the first suggestion at the bottom of the list, you know nothing else down there is anything you specifically marked to be recorded.

Quote:
Space management:

TiVo uses colors to let me know if a show is in danger of deletion. Replay non-guaranteed shows disappear often for unknown reasons. (e.g. even when space is still available)

TiVo also lets me choose a date of death. Replay only lets me keep until deleted or displace with a newer episode.
Just be aware that the date of expiration (what you called “date of deathâ€) only indicates the minimum date it will be kept until, not when it will be deleted necessarily. I commonly have shows in my Now Playing list that expired weeks or months ago. I wish that they would actually change the meaning of those little colored icons to actually indicate when a show is scheduled to be deleted.
Quote:
Program guide:

I wish one of them would indicate on the time bar of the grid when something will be recording.

The program guide is SSSLLLLOOOOWWWW in DirecTiVo. I hope the standalones aren't so horrible.
Apparently the DirecTV guide, which you're complaining about the speed of, is just as slow on the UTV. Stand-alones don't have this guide. But there is only the Tivo guide available. It is different from the traditional grid layout, that’s for sure. It took me awhile to get used to it. But although it is different, it is pretty easy to see at a glance what’s on at any given time.
Quote:
Padding:

Soft padding, please! Somebody!

FUD:

Let's face it, TiVoites try to make hay over every major Replay happening, (manufacturer -> licensing -> SonicBlue acquisition -> 4000 lawsuit)
I wouldn't think the post I made yesterday about the pending lawsuit would be considered FUD. I’m sure that a "Replay-ite" would have posted it not long afterwards (which someone did with a similar link, actually). Believe me, any smart Tivo user (no jokes please! :)) is going to be on Replay’s side for this lawsuit. Assuming Replay wins, which I think they should and will do, then Tivo wins too.
Quote:
Miscellaneous:

TiVo's cutesy crap can get on my nerves. Just get me where I want to go without the unnecessary BS. Did the UI programmers cut their teeth on Powerpoint?
You are aware you can disable those “cutesy†sounds, right?

Also, there are plenty of remote shortcuts to jump right to most of the major screens. Here are a few… you can experiment with the other numbers to find out the others…

Tivo + Tivo = Now Playing

Tivo + 1 = Season Pass Manager

Tivo + 2 = To Do List

Tivo + 3 = Wishlists
Quote:
Replay's recent apparent lack of support bothers me. There's no way they're using programmers and engineers for the phone lines. Devoting resources to the 4000 launch is a lame excuse. The CC bug and dialup failures on current units are issues that need attention. By not addressing current problems, they scare away future customers.

TiVo has done a great job a noticing what Replay does better and adding it to software updates.

Replay will apparently be leaving pre-4000 owners out to dry. "What you got is what you get, even with known bugs."
My guess is that there are 2 reasons: 1) Hardware limitations of the current Replay systems 2) No recurring income from them. Instead, the opposite (dial-up costs, customer support costs) is true.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just press the Tivo button twice when watching Live TV. It should put you right into Now Playing, with the last show you were watching highlighted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, the "Jump" button is the one to use on Replay. It'll toggle you between playback and live for as long as you want with only a single button press.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah, but not if you change channels while viewing live, which is what I assumed the poster was doing, because the Jump button is pretty obvious...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Until Replay implements a to-do list, I would recommend a Tivo (if similarly priced). I own a Replay 3060 and am really embarrassed to admit that I don't know what will record. Also, the 4000s are currently expensive vapor (and who knows how long the "beta" period will last), and the 3000s have no future. At least there is a chance of another major software revision on the Tivos.

bill

·
Registered
207 Posts
They are not comparably priced. When you factor in Tivo's lifetime subscription, you can get a 30 hour RTV cheaper.

I couldn't live without the Todo list, but a lot of folks don't have trouble with it.

Xaa

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.