AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my replay connected to my 47 in Panasonic Widescreen HDTV Projection set. I do not have a HDTV set top box. The degradation in picture quality is terrible! I have it connected with Monster cables and S video and still poor picture. Any suggestions on connections, I have a Motorolla Digital Cable Box as well. If I upgrade to the 4500 series would there be an improvement in the picture?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
4500 = 4000. Same unit.

Anyway, what quality setting are you using? HIGH? STANDARD?

Is this cable? cable box? satellite?

Have you tried using regular composite video cable? Or another S-Video cable?

Have you tried bypassing Replay, going straight from source to TV?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Connection as follows,

coax from wall to cable box

composite from cable box to replay

composite and s-video from replay to TV

The Replay that I am connecting is first generation 3060.

If I bypass replay from the cable box, then what purpose would replay serve

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
You're assuming the problem is the Replay. You need to eliminate all other possibilities (the signal, the cable, the cable box, etc)

High quality?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, direct line from RSU on side of house to the outlet in the room for the cable. could the real problem be that replay and the projection set are not compatible per say

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ttboy120
Yes, direct line from RSU on side of house to the outlet in the room for the cable. could the real problem be that replay and the projection set are not compatible per say
Well not so much PVR's are incompatible per se...as just that Standard Def is marginally compatible with that screen size.

It all really depends on the the signal source. You will probably find S-video (for the whole path) looks better. And a 4.5K may look different using the VGA output but you have to try it out with your set to see and certainly only feed the Replay S-video in. Once again it will never look better than that cable box. I can really only watch HD or DVD on anything over 42" and even with 42 (or under) it needs to be plasma or CRT to be "watchable" by my eyes.

Of course I've never tried a 50-inch KL-W9000. ;)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Oh so now it gets personal - hit me where it hurts :D

I find TV very 'watchable' at 50" using S-Video. I had a 65" previously and while it was way too close to my couch, it was watchable as well! You're just spoiled by smaller TV's :)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Oh so now it gets personal - hit me where it hurts :D
Even mpegs look good standard def @ FIFTY? Measuring metric again are you?

Perhaps relatively early-onset-Alzheimer's (blame it on all the drugs in college) or your cataracts are dimming out on you already? Well and if I remember correctly you even extolled the virtues of channelvision distribution over direct video connection? Well I know that's unfair, since you saw the light and rearranged the equip to within 12' (below) the KL-W9000 (to run S direct) after getting KenL'd?

Like I said... never tried a KL-W9000. Maybe it looks acceptable enough?

(for someone with a seeing-eye dog) :D

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Pushing propoganda since 1962...
Oops sorry... ordinary Alzheimer's then. @ least your day nurse hasn't taken away your Internet?

(yet) :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a 61 inch Sony. Obviously at that size a bad picture looks worse. I had to stop recording anything at the lowest quality. Even talk shows, because it looked so bad. At medium quality it is not too bad. I can't wait for the HDTV replay unit.

Al

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tried to use both my 3060 and 4080 into a new Toshiba widescreen 50" and the picture looked terrible no matter what I used to hook it up with; composite or S-video cables. I came to the conclusion that the MPEG-2 compression was incompatible with the line-doubling mechanism the Toshiba used. Both the 3060 and 4080 look great on my old Pioneer 51" TV. The 3060 looks bettter than the 4080. less MPEG-2 artifacting breakup. I ONLY record in HIGH quality. I returned the Toshiba RPTV. I think the only way ReplayTV can look good into a big widescreen, line-doubling TV is with either digiital TV recordings or with component /VGA input to the TV from the ReplayTV.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The first thing to determine is how good the signal into your house is from the cable company. If you can hook up the cable directly and check unscrambled channels directly into your set, you can get a good idea. The idea of bypassing the converter for this test is because cable STB's are very cheaply made, for the most part, and have a high noise figure, so if your signal coming in is marginal, the STB will aggravate the problem.

Check 2-6, 7-13, and the highest channels, as cable has problems on the edges of its bandwidth. Try to ignore an individual channel that seems to be significantly lower in PQ than those surrounding it...paging systems can degrade channels in the teens and twenties, for example. 5 and 6 are sometimes prone to interference. On the other hand, if many of the channels seem to have beats in them, this is an indication of bad integrity and rejection of ingress from other sources, and may reflect the overall maintenance level of the system.

The reason for all of this is that our analog sets and our eyeballs can tolerate the artifacts seen when signals are low (noise, or "snow") better than a digital device such as a PVR can. If the signals from your cable company are marginal, they will look even worse when passed through your PVR. MPEG abhors noise, and has much trouble encoding it in a way that can be reconstituted properly. One of the reasons that DBS works so well with standalone PVR's is because the vendor strips out or suppresses, or rolls off all of the analog noise before it is encoded (they are fighting that same noise encoding problem) so that the signal reaching the subscriber is easy to encode on a PVR.

Pick the best picture from the best channel you see hooked up directly. Look closely for "busy" information in backgrounds, areas out of focus, and darker patches of a single shade or color, as this is where noise is easier detected. Now pick the worst channel. Monitor these channels again with the cable hooked to the PVR and the output sent directly to your TV. If you see a huge difference (use direct, not recorded, as this is automatically best quality level) you have two possible problems. 1. your cable company needs to get busy to provide you with a proper signal, 2. you have a defective PVR.

Now try to insert the STB into the signal chain and check quality again. If it degrades, you may have a bad STB or again, the signal quality from the cable is low.

I record from both cable and DBS, and cable records are not as high in quality as DBS feeds, at least in my house. Cable directly into my 36" XBR is significantly better than that recorded on a PVR, while DBS shows no degradation, even on medium quality.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Thanks TomCat for the detail there. I would add that my DBS looks the same yet my rather clean analog cable (fiber optic on my street) looks good on all tuners and still "PVR's" rather well.

Oh and BTW RandyL712... your Altruistic Propagation is shapshifting time frames on us?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well I just hooked up my 4040 last night and have to say the picture looks rather bad on my 32" Sony. It's analog cable and the picture looks fine when I go straight to the TV. I have the cable split at the wall and take the signal straight to the TV and straight to the Replay, so that might be one area I could reduce some noise, but I do find it interesting that it looks noticably better on the TV. I even tried swapping the Coax cables between to the two to see if one of the cables was picking up some interferance and the other wasn't. I suppose I'll call Time Warner and see if they can get a better signal to the house. I'd really rather not go digital, especially since I've read a few places here that analog calbe actually records better than digital in many cases. Well, GOOD analog cable that is.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ttboy120
Connection as follows,

coax from wall to cable box

composite from cable box to replay

composite and s-video from replay to TV

FWIW, a few years back I got my first Sony TV with composite and S-video inputs. I tried plugging in the S-video from a satellite receiver and thought the picture looked awful. It wasn't until a few years later that it dawned on me to unplug the composite video input and then look at the S-video input and S-video looked great. At that time anyway, both inputs were active on the TV and there was interference created by having both hooked up at the same time. (I suspect the manual said to use one or the other, but who reads manuals?)

This may not apply to your situation but thought I'd present the info just in case.

-Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bit of a newbie here - I too have a 3060 connected to a rather crappy (Charter) cable service. My question is, if the signal is bad, would a signal booster help the problem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
From my experience, the old-fashioned "signal booster" that's been around for decades is almost worthless.

In my house, I can only have 1 "TV" (the replay) connected to the signal, and 1 cable modem. Once I attach a 2nd video device, the quality plummets substantially. However, with just 1 video device connected, the quality is exceptional, and better than many Dish signals that I've seen.

Motorola has a new product on the market called a "Broadband Amplifier", that is supposed to be much better technology. I've heard that it is the same technology that the cable companies themselves use for when they add a Booster. I've seen the Motorola arrive at Best Buy and Circuit City in the past few months, typically in the cable modem section of the store. Retail price appears to be ~ $100, but I've seen them at online stores for approx $60.

Sorry, but I've not heard whether it helps or not. If I was buying, I'd want to know the return policy just in case. It's too expensive to keep if it doesn't work good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.