AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some kind of recorder, and have just about ruled out Tivo. I was looking at info on the Panasonic Showstopper PVHS1000, and it seems to indicate that the "Replay Service" is included, which I assume means there will be no subscription fees, monthly or life-time, for this unit.

Now I see a lot of talk about the Replay 4500 series and it seems to indicate that the unit will have to be authorized with either a life-time ($200?) fee or a monthly fee.

I thought the advantage of the Replay vs Tivo was that Replay did NOT need any kind of subscription service?

Thanks,

Gerry

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
For all Replay models prior to the 4500 (and all ShowStopper models so far), the subscription is included in the base price of the unit.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
"I thought the advantage of the Replay vs Tivo was that Replay did NOT need any kind of subscription service?"

That isn't really an advantage as the price works out that you end up paying for the subscription in the price of the unit. So, I'd say that is NOT an advantage of the Replay over Tivo or the other way around.

However, there are plenty of advantages they each have over each other.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Serra,

>>>>>>

That isn't really an advantage as the price works out that you end up paying for the subscription in the price of the unit. So, I'd say that is NOT an advantage of the Replay over Tivo or the other way around.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Well, I just did a search on dealtime, mysimon and ebay. Apparently, if you want a new TiVo unit, the only way you're going to get in that price range is to sign up for directtv on Amazon or buy one on ebay. Used units can go down to $149, but you may not get a warranty.

So, yes, there is a way to get the cost down on a TiVo to compare it to a replay.

I have a TiVo and a bunch of replays. I adore my Replays, and the TiVo bothers me so it sits in a room I never use and records stuff I would never watch. My husband likes the little cartoon tv on it, though, so I keep it.

You should see if you can get someone to show you the difference in feel between the units. Some people love their TiVos, and some people love their Replays. There's definitely room for both in the market since they do such different things.

Just recently I found myself explaining the bare difference between TiVo and Replay to a friend who is considering buying one. Basically, I got it down to: The TiVo can do lots of stuff if you put in the effort to hack it, but the Replay does its cool stuff out of the box.

One thing that is similar between the two that no one really brings up is that Replay has something very close to TiVo's random show picking. If you set up a Replay Zone, and you find that you like a show it grabs, you can set up a channel for that show, like a thumbs up. You can guarantee the channel, like a double thumbs up. You can then set it to record all shows, like a triple thumbs up. With zones, it still picks random shows based on your preferences, but you know what kind of things you're going to get, and when it finds something you really like, you can stick with it.

So really Gerry, get the machine that does what you want it to do. A Replay is (in my opinion) very close to a VCR as far as controlling it goes, and much easier to use. The TiVo has many menus to slog through to get to the record screens and to what you've recorded. But YOU should make your decision on what to get based on your own criteria, not anyone else's.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Gerryex- you have to be nuts to pay for PVHS1000- 500 dollars- call Panasonic repair centers for refurbished units, or scan - Best Buys and Sears for open box units- all the accessories can be had for cheap from ebay, electronics store and the manual is useless and less complete than the online FAQ. I am pretty sure you can score a unit for about 200-300 buxs, depending on how lucky you are. And screw any comparison to Tivo, subscription fees. Think about it - no matter how cheap you get Tivo unit- for lifetime you have to pay 250 no discounts. For an open box replayTV - you can huggle over the price with a sales drone as much as you want. Don't be confused that on a replayTV forum you hear a lot about how wonderfull Tivo is and how it makes a lot of sense to buy it and keep Tivo company afloat. Those are missionaries and volunteers from Tivo forum, you will learn to spot them easily if you hang around. If you show and softness toward buying Tivo, they will not get off you warm body. So just say -NO.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerryex
...Also, I'm simply looking for a basic VCR replacement and about 20 hours will do me fine...
Trust me -- you will change your mind once you have a PVR (whichever kind you get). You think this is just a vcr replacement so you only need a few hours, but you will find that it changes the way you use TV altogether. You will end up no longer watching anything live (otherwise, what good is the 3 inute skip or commerciaql advance?) but instead you will warehouse lots and lots of shows for later viewing. After a few weeks, you will be groaning about the hour limit. (And by the way, remember that hours for Replay and Tivo are quoted at standard -- i.e. low quality -- speed, which most of us don't like to use. On Replay, you get half as many hours at medium quality and only one-third as many hours at high quality; Tivo percentages are roughly comparable.)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi ALL,

Thanks for the great feedback!!! I'm pretty much leaning away from Tivo and towards Replay, but I'm still not sure what to get. I would certainly welcome any and all recomendations.

By the way I do NOT have a broadband internet connection. Its not that I don't want one, but there just simply is none available in my area. I assume that means the 4000 series would not be good for me - is that correct? Does the 4500 series have a modem?

Thanks again,

Gerry

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You got your work ahead of you if you want to buy a showstopper. They are almost impossible to find. If you find one buy it quickly. I should have bought all the ones they had in stock at Circuit City during Christmas. I coulda made a bundle. Any Showstopper automatically comes with lifetime subscription and any replaytv 30xx is pretty much identical to a showstopper. Good luck.

I just looked on ebay and the prices are very high for these units. Do your work and you may be able to find a deal. -mk

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
FWIW I have heard that Sears still has ShowStoppers. I don't think I'd buy one at full price though. Kinda like buying a strait pentium at its full price when P4's are available. I have a SS and a Replay2001 and I LOVE them. They have changed the way that my wife and I watch TV entirely. When we can afford a couple of 4K's, we'll do it.

My advice is to find ANY PVR at a good price and buy (I am biased towards Replay though).

Best,

Matthew in CO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.