AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried placing replay mpegs onto blu-ray disks?

i was looking at burners to store older replay shows for archive and saw this quote

"Blu-ray Disc offers an unprecedented 25 GB capacity on a single-layer disc and 50 GB on a dual layer disc. That's enough storage for nine hours of HD movies, 23 hours of standard definition content or 72 CDs on a single disc! In addition to its massive storage capacity, Blu-ray Disc gives you playback of MPEG2, the native compression technique for HDTV broadcasts, or even more capacity with advanced codes such as AVC"

i could save entire seasons of a show on one disk if this worked

i don't want to invest if there is re-incodeing or 100$+ software required

thanks for any comments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Replay MPEG-2 files are not standard and would almost certainly have to be "re-incoded" to work on a DVD player.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nded /forum/post/14248063

Replay MPEG-2 files are not standard and would almost certainly have to be "re-incoded" to work on a DVD player.

That's interesting because they play fine with the QuickTime MPEG-2 decoder...

Henry

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
There was a thread around here listing a few DVD players that could handle Replay MPG files, but without running them through something like VideoRedo or some other tool, it's a shot in the dark to get them to play straight from Replay format on a DVD player.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
In the last 4 years or so I have not found a software player or DVD player which would NOT play a Replay 5K file. If I remember correctly, the 5K mpeg is very close to the std with the major difference being a recording on high could exceed the bandwidth standard for DVDs. I haven't re-encoded a 5k file in years.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
That's my recollection as well, including that recording in medium quality is very close to the standard DVD bitrate. I always record specials that I think that I might want to burn to DVD at medium quality and haven't had any problem playing them. That's in addition to the fact that I can play any quality of my Replay recordings with the QuickTime MPEG-2 decoder. In addition, I can convert from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 using that decoder...

Henry

·
Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nded /forum/post/14248342

There was a thread around here listing a few DVD players that could handle Replay MPG files, but without running them through something like VideoRedo or some other tool, it's a shot in the dark to get them to play straight from Replay format on a DVD player.

I've used various authoring tools to make a DVD out of Replay 5xxx mpegs. Never had a problem. I think DVD players in general can have problems playing straight mpegs, whether from a Replay or other source. My DVD players can't handle straight mpegs.

As long as the blu-ray authoring software will accept your mpegs, and it should, you should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts