AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My ongoing assumption has been that some significant number of mine are due to the switch I'm using.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
My ongoing assumption has been that some significant number of mine are due to the switch I'm using.
I would agree with you except I have tried both the Linksys switch and a Netgear switch and the dropouts continue. Maybe these low-end switches are the problem, but I am reluctant to buy ANOTHER more expensive switch till somebody tells me that it should solve my problem.

Thank you to those of you answering the poll. At least I see that some people are getting perfect streaming...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Larry, I used to use a Linksys internet access switch, but I got several dropouts a half hour...basically it was so bad that the video was unwatchable.

After I moved my replayserver and the replay onto a Netgear switch, it improved drastically, so that I often get no dropouts at all, or at most one every hour or so.

Are you using a router or a switch? Are the connections to both machines on the same router/switch?

Also, what operating system are you running on your ReplayServer? Some network stacks are more efficient than others.

The only other change I made is I changed the machine I ran SwapDV on, but it didn't really make a difference - I changed to a box where I have a 320 Gig IDE RAID 5 array. (Yes, it's overkill, but what are you gonna say when a hard drive crash ruins that entire season of West Wing you've spent all year gathering?)

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well... mostly medium quality (the kids cartoons that are recorded in the basement) but have streamed high quality also with no noticeable loss of video signal.

I'll look at it more closely tonight and make sure I'm streaming high quality. Anything else I should try in this scenario? I've got both replays connected to a linksys 5port switch which is connected to the linksys DSL router.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I've got a cheap Netgear switch (4 port) sitting between the two Replays. Been meaning to replace it with a hub just for comparison purposes.

FWIW, most of my streaming (nearly all) is done at medium quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got mine 4040 lastweek, and tried that with swaptv. I have tried different ethenet switches and hubs. Initially, I got a lot of video not available message. I finally have my system without any video unavailable problem.

I have a Linksys ethernet switch (10/100Mbps) with both of my computer and the replaytv on the same switch.

Next, make sure your CAT 5 cable are connected correctly. I have mine wrong. I didn't know for 100Mbp, I need to arrange those twisted pair in certain order. Once I changed the CAT 5 cable correctly, I have no problem on running line from 1 room to the TV (150ft apart). Not even a single drop.

I use some monitor software to monitor the traffic between the server and the replaytv. You need to have at least 5.5 Mbps(peak) bandwidth between your server and replaytv. Most of time, it only uses 4.5Mbps (average). This is well below the limit of 100Mbps Ethernet switch.

:) :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by aslagle
Larry, I used to use a Linksys internet access switch, but I got several dropouts a half hour...basically it was so bad that the video was unwatchable.

After I moved my replayserver and the replay onto a Netgear switch, it improved drastically, so that I often get no dropouts at all, or at most one every hour or so.

Are you using a router or a switch? Are the connections to both machines on the same router/switch?

Also, what operating system are you running on your ReplayServer? Some network stacks are more efficient than others.

The only other change I made is I changed the machine I ran SwapDV on, but it didn't really make a difference - I changed to a box where I have a 320 Gig IDE RAID 5 array. (Yes, it's overkill, but what are you gonna say when a hard drive crash ruins that entire season of West Wing you've spent all year gathering?)

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. :D
I bought the Netgear switch (and yes, everything goes to 1 switch) hoping that it would improve the situation and it did - a little. I see the dropouts from SwapDV but I also get them Replay to replay. The only thing I haven't changed out (cause it would mean running them through the walls again) is my network cables (all pre-manufactured cables - I didn't build them).

My network is a combination of Win2K and Win98 (legacy machine for certain software), but I get the drops even when the computers are off.

Is there anything to be gained by changing out my cabling?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You know, with mixed results like many of you 4000 owners are getting with 100Mb/s, I really wonder how the heck Tivo's going to stream via the USB 1.1 ports... I may very well have to eat the proverbial crow on this one.

(And I bet KenL has one of those smiley face things that eats crow! :))

(Fixed the typo... thanks Ken!)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Stewart
Is there anything to be gained by changing out my cabling?
Unfortunately, I can say that there probably is.

Of course, the amount of benefit is due primarily on conditions in your walls (and the jacks within them), so I can't say for sure.

I ran my own cables, and I had to go through several pairs until I got the ones that worked the best. 100Mb throughput is notoriously finicky - if you punch down your own network, you have to be really careful how you put it together.

You also have to make sure you're careful of power lines. Ideally, you wouldn't want to get within 3' of any power cable: that's not exactly feasible, in most cases. If you have to, you'd want to cross each power line at a 90 degree angle.

When I ran the cable in my house, I ran the cable before the drywall was put up by the builder, so I knew exactly where power was and it was much easier to run. Even so, I had to try several jacks before I got one that would work well.

I hope this helps - and if you already knew this..... never mind. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Larry:

I streamed 1-1/2hours at high quality last night with no problems streaming replay to replay through the linksys 5 port switch. Daily I do stream at medium quality with never a problem. However, when I went upstairs and turned on the upstairs replay (I was streaming from this one) I lost the video signal in the basement. As long as noone fools with the other replay I don't seem to have a problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by smhughes
Larry:

I streamed 1-1/2hours at high quality last night with no problems streaming replay to replay through the linksys 5 port switch. Daily I do stream at medium quality with never a problem. However, when I went upstairs and turned on the upstairs replay (I was streaming from this one) I lost the video signal in the basement. As long as noone fools with the other replay I don't seem to have a problem.
Thanks for the answer. I am really confused about this since I have tried the Linksys and Netgear switches and I've had the problem streaming from a replay and a swapdv server.

Maybe it's time to replace all my network cables (yech!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.