AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been thinking about getting one or the other (replay tv or setop dvd recorder) for some time . at first the DVD recorders did not have many features but the new panosonic has a 40 gig hardrive and of course will burn it to a DVD is ther something i would be missing by not geting a replay tv . With the prices dropping (panosonic 799) and other manuactures releasing dvd recorders is this the way to go or could i still consider the replay tv

·
Registered
8 Posts
:) Hello:

I've been a TIVO and REPLAY TV user for almost two years now. We have two TIVO's and two Replay units in our household and could not survive without them.

While the Panasonic Recorder you mention can record a DVD, something TIVO and Replay cannot, The latter units tie into a channel listing that allows you to simply highlight a show for a single or repeating recording. Units without this channel listing feature will act like the VCRs of the past. In other words you had to know the channel, start and stop time. I believe the Panasonic recorder will operate in this mode.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jobedo
...is this the way to go or could i still consider the replay tv
I don't believe anyone here can answer that question for you?

Perhaps the only definitive way to find out which one best meets your needs is to try them both out. For example the auto-commercial-advance feature was one thing I didn't anticipate the importance of until I had used the unit for a few weeks... and now of course I'm hooked. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would think it would depend upon a couple of factors.

1) if you plan on burning several DVDs

2) if you don't need the replay schedules, themes, searches, zones, and shows, and you just plan on setting up manual recordings.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You might underestimate the value of the search and autorecord features of the Replay and the Tivo if you've never been exposed to them. I get shows all of the time that I never knew were going to be on because a theme channel picked them up. Very handy.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I look at it as two markets... the DVD recorders in one, and the Tivos and Replays in another. Tivos and Replays are primarily designed for time-shifting, while DVD recorders are primarily designed for archiving to removable media. So, you really need both, if you want the best of both worlds. :)

Or, wait for Tivo and/or ReplayTV to come out with a DVD recorder model, or for the DVD recorders to come with much-improved DVR features.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
One advantage the Panasonic DMR-HS2 and yet to ship Toshiba RD-X2 have over Replay and Tivo SA (stand alone) is the ability to specify insane bit rates for recording. So if you are recording a very high quality analog signal you can preserve that signal.

These stand alone hybrid hard disk/DVD recorders are really HT power user freak devices. If you have a high quality TV source like a big dish or perhaps you want to archive rare LDs then these hybrid recorders are a great tool.

Another advantage of the Panasnoic and Toshiba units is: they have real, robust analog input support in the form of 3D Y/C filter for cable and composite, noise reduction, and TBC on the input. TiVO and Replay have very primitive cable tuenrs and input stages by comparison. Both Sonic Blue and TiVO are mainly software developers and as a result their video hardware, particularly the analog inputs are quite amatureish when compared to what the likes of JVC does with their VCRs, or Panasonic and Toshiba do with their HD/DVD recorders.

BUT! For just time shifting TV with ease *nothing* beats a Replay or TiVO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.