AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only way I can change channels is to access the DirecTV receiver. Here is more information on my ReplayTV unit: Model: RTV 2020, with a small label on the front that reads: "Quantum Quickview" Serial Number: 0200014C0012R00165. On the top of the box is "VIP, unit F20" The ReplayTV remote does work my TV and DVD player just fine, so I suspect it is not the remote itself.

I have tried resetting the code for Replay TV with 987, followed by 0001, as suggested by the Replay TV website. Did not solve the problem. I opened up the remote and, per some advice seen on another forum, used the stuff that is used to repair read window defoggers, and that did not work. The remote works fine in working my DVD, TV, and DirecTV satellite box.

Has anyone experienced this problem and/or have a solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
It can be the remote isn't putting out replay codes or the replay itself is not responding.

When you reset the remote to 0001, did the LED blink twice meaning the code was accepted? Obviously the best test is to try another replay coded remote.

I have experienced failed remote response with my Showstopper. Unplugging it for several hours corrected the problem.

·
Registered
450 Posts
This may be a bit obvious and in no way am I making fun of you, but...do you have a serial cable or an IR blaster connecting your replaytv to your sat. receiver?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I guess the more obvious question is this, does the Replay remote get ANY response from the Replay box at all, ie, can you bring up the Replay Guide menu, etc?

If not, it sounds like you have done what many have done before you, and that's accidentally erase the Replay code from the remote. The Replay code is an upgrade code, whereas the codes for your VCR, etc are built into the remote.

The ONLY way to fix such a remote is by using JP1.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mikeyboy: When I reset the remote to 0001, I did NOT get the LED to blink twice, which I guess means the code was not accepted.

Robman: the Replay remote doe not get ANY response from the Replay box at all -- ie, I cannot bring up the Replay Guide menu. There is no response at all from the replay tv remote.

I have ordered new Sony remotes, model RMVL900. I had to order a new remote to replace by worn out Cinema 7 remote that I use for my main home theatre set up and figured I'd get a second one for the upstairs hometheatre set up. Do you know if I can program the RMVL900 for the Replay TV codes, or must I take Robman's suggestion to order the JP1 kit to repair my existing Replay TV remote.

Thanks to all for the quick and useful advice.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwiatt000
Mikeyboy: When I reset the remote to 0001, I did NOT get the LED to blink twice, which I guess means the code was not accepted.
Well now you have a clue as to what is wrong. You must have dumped the replay codes accidentally.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
The VL900 does not contain a code for Replay. Even if you get a remote that does contain the Replay code, it will almost certainly be missing a few very important buttons (usually IR and QS, just for starters), so you'll still need a working Replay remote to program it.

However, if you get a Radio Shack or One For All remote that comes with the Replay code preinstalled, you can use advanced codes to program the missing buttons.

If youget a JP1 cable, you can not only restore your Replay remote to it's former glory, you could use my hacked version of the Replay protocol to create a "3 minute skip" and a "1 minute skipback button" buttons if you like (or any number of minutes).

Furthermore, you'll be able to add the Replay code to that old Cinema 7 of yours (if it's the URC-780x version, rather than the URC-720x)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I somehow killed my SS remote as well. Take Robman's advice and get a JP1 cable. It is well worth it. Not only does my formerly non-functioning remote now do everything it used to do, but it controls practically every component in my entertainment center. I'm thinking with a little more work it'll make my coffee too! It's the best $18 I ever spent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all, especially Robman. I have ordered from bluedo.com a new 7800 remote with the JP1 cable. Just hope I'll be able to figure out how to program it. I did subscribe to the JP1 forum, so hopefully all my questions can be answered there.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Oh Yeah!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.