AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new DCT5100 for HD. This is a nice cable box. Spews 1080i and 480i at the same time. It's fast.

But my Replay4160 cannot control it even though the remote codes are exactly the same. The installer just left the old DCT2200(?) remote and it works.

This pisses me off. I guess it's not really Sonic Blues fault, but I'm still cranky.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I read in another thread here that people have had success with Replay and 5100- using codes 0476 (not 0276). I plan to try this later tonight myself after putting the 4-year old to bed - right now the Replay is busy playing "Dora the Explorer" :)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
0476 fails to send

0276 (which is not the code the R4K selected previously) works fine. So far.

Yay. No more doorstop.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke too soon. 0276 is not relaible.

0476 started working after going into the tweak menu and ensuring it sent three digits.

A strange thing did happen after I selected "0476" as the code: when I entered the IR blaster tweak menu it said the code was 4476. I changed it back to 0476 and left the rest of the tweaks unchanged.

Will continue testing.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Yeah, I tried 0276, 0476, and 4476 - none were completely reliable. 0276 at least always switches channels, but sometimes adds an extra ENTER or something, so you end up on the 5100's menu screen. I haven't tried going into the tweak menu yet - that'll be tonight's project.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got my 5100 this week and 0476 works just fine.

Another question. I just purchased a Sony 32hs500, my first HD TV. I am in NJ using Comcast cable, with the new 5100 box. I am unhappy with the picture on the non HD channels. It seems a little blurry at times. I am not sure if it is the TV or the new box or what. I did have the new TV for two days with my old cable box, an I am pretty sure the picture was better than this. I have had the replay 4508 for about 4 months.

Has anybody else experienced this? DVD and game systems looks great on the TV.

I am not sure if it is the cable box, TV or replay. Too many things going on.

I remember the cable guy saying that they was a problem with the 5100 and they were waiting for Motorola to fix it. Something they could fix by sending a signal to the box and updating the firmware, I think. Not sure what it was, but something to the effect that too much single was coming out of the box?

Has anybody heard anything like this?

Mark

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
On my 5100, code set 0476 doesn't reliably seem to send "ENTER" - ie, all 3 channel digits seem to be received by the cable box ok, but then sometimes it just waits for a few seconds, then reverts back to the current channel.

As for the firmware upgrade, there's a big thread here that has lots of details on both outstanding and fixed problems.

It's been generally reported that the analog channels look worse (noiser) thru the 5100. I'm not sure if this is fixed in the current updates or not. Sounds like the newest firmware for the 5100 is ver 2.40. You can check the firmware version by going into the DIAGNOSTICS screen (Power off, the press OK within a few seconds), and choosing "Code Objects". I just had mine installed this week, and it still has the older 2.14 firmware, so AT&T (or Comcast, now) hasn't rolled out the update here in the Seattle area yet.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
OK - I finally found a combination that seems to work perfectly (at least with every channel-change test case I could think of). I used codeset 0476, then went into the IR fine-tuning menu, and changed just one thing: set mininum digits to 3. That seemed to fix the problem I was seeing with codeset 0476.

After more testing, I had found the only cases that didn't work with 0476 were when changing to an analog channel (0-99, only 2 digits). Turned out the same thing happens using the 5100's own remote - if you enter

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ianken
0476 fails to send

0276 (which is not the code the R4K selected previously) works fine. So far.

Yay. No more doorstop.
IIRC, when you enter three digits, you don't need . 0476 is the code that has worked reliably for me, 0276 would curiously work every-other-time only, with the non-working times reverting back to the original channel immediately after the final digit. Tweaking times didn't help. 0476 has worked for nearly a week without a single missed show.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.