AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this sort of problem preivously: all of a sudden without any changes our outtages the cable signal does not come through on my RTV. When I connect cable box directly to TV signal comes through fine. Therefore problem is in the RTV.

I have simple connection - Comcast cable box (Motorolla) to RTV to TV.

ON previuosy occassions I have been able to rectify this by rebooting the RTV (hold power button down for 10 secs until fan goes off) and upon start up again voila the RTV shows the signal without any set up or cabling changes.

This time it seems more serious. The above didn't work. I called support and got a completely clueless Indian CSR (in India that is) who insisted on taking me through the set up for the IR blaster even though I said there was not IR blaster problem. Needless to say she didn't solve the problem but caused me no end of inconvenience.

I then asked for 2nd level support. He then took me through the same procedure to set the IR blaster code back to what it was before the abovementioned CSR told me to change it - idiotic. After some further questions he said my only solution was to factory reset the unit.

Problem - I have hours and hours of shows I haven't watched yet which I don't want to lose. Secondly, I don't want to factory reset every time this happens.

Additional info - what I am getting now is the cable info (bottom of screen) but no signal on public channels and "One Moment Please this channel will be available momentarily" on cable channels. I left it on one of those and after a while the signal comes through but freezes!!!!!! When I turn the RTV off and then after some second turn it back on it shows a picture frozen at a different point in time.

WHAT IS GOING ON?????

Can someone, especially ReplayLyndon help????

·
Registered
886 Posts
The second CSR gave you the solution, even if you don't want to accept it. If you don't want to lose your shows, either watch them all (since you don't say you can't watch already recorded show, just that you have video input problems) or load up DVArchive and copy your shows to a computer.

But more likely is you have a bad unit because of your video input problem, which means you might have to RMA your Replay. In that case as well, you will lose your shows since Replay doesn't fix your unit, they just send you a replacement when they receive your RMA.

In either case, you either watch your shows or move them somewhere else.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
You don't need to factory reset.

The problem for me was that it took me about a hour of playing around with my 5040 before I just did "something" that made it work. I tried everything I could think of up to that point (it really was a hour of reconfiguring an rebooting).

Then I did something stupid like turn it off and on again (that example is used to just show how stupid the acutal thing I did was. I don't believe I turned it off and on, but I may have.) It will come back if it's the software problem, but if the tuner has gone south there's no fix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
Are you getting the "no signal detected" screen instead of tuned channel? If so it's a known problem. Here is a fix from Crunchy Doodle http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...20#post2696620
Tried that - but didn't work - thanks for the refernece anyway.

I was about to give up and it seems Jeff D's advice is correct - I had tried everything and was clutching at straws. Finally ended up clearing all inputs in RTV then unplugging and re setting up the cable input through the menu. Still didn't work.

I then rebooted, and voila all of a sudden there is the signal and RTV back to normal again. Doesn't make sense as I had tried this before.

Not sure whether this is a software problem or not. I don't think it's a tuner problem as RTV has INputs - it should just take the signal coming into those - whether they come from an external tuner (cable box) or just a device outputting a/v.

Fingers crossed it doesn't recur.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wait!!! Don't crash/dump your replay tv yet.....I also had comcast digital cable with a motorola box...and had the identical problem.

The difference is that I DIDN'T HAVE A REPLAYTV YET...A-HA

I called comcast and had them install the Motorola HD box (5100) and it hasn't happened since.....

Good Luck

Sto

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
alect, the worst part for me... was too that the inputs 1 & 2 both showed the same no signal detected. It was serious.

I did all the steps you can think of....

Rebooting with nothing connected and connecting after back running.

Removing all inputs resarting, adding inputs back in and restarting. Step done with inputs connected and not connected. There were like 8 combinations of tests in this one case, still nothing.

Restarting about 100 times (or so it seemed)

I did notice that regardless of the last active input setting (usually line in 2) the replay would always revert to RF input when restarting.

Another strange thing I've noticed with this is that is ALWAYS has to do with boxes that have the RF-tuner in use. I've seen no reported cases of users only using Line 1 or 2 without the RF input.

For me it was a restart after a software upgrade.

Maybe it's time for a poll....

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I have the same problem with one of my units.

1) it always happens if I leave the unit unplugged for a while. After I get it

fixed, it'll survive soft reboots and short-term hard reboots, but if I leave

it unplugged for a while, the problem comes back

2) no video signal for internal tuner, line1, line2, doesn't even try to tune,

immediately goes to blue screen no video signal for all 3 sources

3) I can always get it fix itself by repeated warm reboots (hold the power

button down for 10 seconds)

4) the secret move that seems to reduce my number of reboots seems to

be to tune to liveTV, shut the unit off by pressing the power button once,

then holding the power button for 10 seconds so when the Replay is done

with reboot, it goes straight to liveTV instead of shutting itself off

Admittedly this is all voodoo magic and nothing scientific was done, but

I haven't needed more than 2 soft reboots to fix the problem after

following this procedure. None of the other grounding of coax line and

other hand waving seemed to have a repeatable positive effect (for me)

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
4) the secret move that seems to reduce my number of reboots seems to

be to tune to liveTV, shut the unit off by pressing the power button once,

then holding the power button for 10 seconds so when the Replay is done

with reboot, it goes straight to liveTV instead of shutting itself off

Admittedly this is all voodoo magic and nothing scientific was done, but

I haven't needed more than 2 soft reboots to fix the problem after

following this procedure. None of the other grounding of coax line and

other hand waving seemed to have a repeatable positive effect (for me)
I was about to say... as a kid I use to put a wet paper towel across some of the pins on my AppleCat modem (one of the coolest modems of all times, tone generation included) because (I have no idea what I was thinking!?!?!?!) it seemed to help with my transfers. I think it started with my accidently touching pins with my finger and then I though... must be some electrical thing. Wet paper towel sounded good and did the job. I was a dumb 13 year old kid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.