AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stumped. I've had Replay's for years. Last week my two replays and DVA stopped seeing each other. I have replaced, reset, and updated my router. I have tried DHCP and static IP. I have unplugged everything. I have reset both Replays. I can ping both Replays. I have a replay in my office connected directly to the router next to my computer. DVA will not even see this Replay which is useless to me without being able to stream.


Can anyone help me while I still have hair!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Marshall
I'm stumped. I've had Replay's for years. Last week my two replays and DVA stopped seeing each other... ...Can anyone help me while I still have hair!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I moved some plugs around in a hub in the livingroom. All is working for now. Very strange. Everything was working fine until last week. It's a big hassel to get behind my entertainment center to get to the hub and I'm the only one who does it. Still does not explain why DVA and office computer did not see each other setting right next to each other.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Marshall
Still does not explain why DVA and office computer did not see each other setting right next to each other.


Thanks.
I thought it was funny :D I have computer touching each other and still they don't see each other. Sorry can't help it... no offense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
This is what I said in the DVArchive forum to a similar question:

First off, I do not have a definitive answer to your problem, but will relate my similar former wireless dilemma. Note the use of past tense.


I was having trouble with DVA working properly. It would often hang, and have trouble getting guide data from some of our five ReplayTV 5000 series boxes. Downloads would fail too often with read errors. Then, a few weeks ago, it got even worse. That's when I noticed it was the pair of boxes that used one particular D-Link access point that were giving 90% of the trouble.


So, after some research, it was off to Fry's to get some Buffalo wireless gear to replace all of my D-Link stuff. This is in spite of the fact that it appeared to be just one bad access point. I have read way too much bad stuff about mixing so-called compatible wireless gear. What a pleasure it is to have such a solid working network of PCs, DVA server, printer, PDA and five very happy ReplayTV boxes. For now, I have a Buffalo WBR2-G54S router and two of their WLA2-G54C bridges. Since they cost the same, I'm going to replace the two bridges with two more of the routers configured as bridges. That will give me full 125 Mbps wireless for the same hardware cost. It also frees up two data switches.


So, I suggest an all Buffalo wireless system. ReplayTV boxes and DVA are very sensitive to any anomalies in networking that a PC and non-Java software just shrugs off.


Bye. :cool:


PS. If you'll look to the left you can see how little hair I have left. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Marshall
I'm stumped. I've had Replay's for years. Last week my two replays and DVA stopped seeing each other. I have replaced, reset, and updated my router. I have tried DHCP and static IP. I have unplugged everything. I have reset both Replays. I can ping both Replays. I have a replay in my office connected directly to the router next to my computer. DVA will not even see this Replay which is useless to me without being able to stream.


Can anyone help me while I still have hair!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Crunchy.


Well it stopped working again. Just like when I reset the router. It worked for about 20 min then there out again.


Another strange thing. I was looking at the DVA message. I get repeating errors from DVR at 192.168.1.3. Well there is no DVR at that IP. All of my IPs are set manually so I knew exactly which "computer" it was. It's my wifes computer on the other end of the house. At one time I had that computer in my office and was running DVA on it. I knew that DVA was not running on computer 3 but I blocked that IP just to see what happen. The errors were less frequent but still came up. The errors did not stop completely until I shut down computer 3. My wife was complaining about that computer being slow anyway so I reformatted and reinstalled XP. The errors have stopped. However RTVs and DVA still don't see each other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
One of the other things I did was set my router for static DHCP IP addresses for all of our ReplayTV units. This is done by telling the router what the MAC address is of each ReplayTV and the IP address to give it when it asks for one. That helps stabilize some setups by bypassing the ReplayTV DHCP bug. It also insures that IVS will continue to work. To get the MAC address, use Windows CALC in Sci mode and input the IVS address as a big giant number like 000045483156734 and then convert to HEX and add the colons. 000045483156734 becomes 00:0A:97:01:E4:FE. I learned that here.


Bye. :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Marshall
Thanks Crunchy.


Well it stopped working again. Just like when I reset the router. It worked for about 20 min then there out again.


Another strange thing. I was looking at the DVA message. I get repeating errors from DVR at 192.168.1.3. Well there is no DVR at that IP. All of my IPs are set manually so I knew exactly which "computer" it was. It's my wifes computer on the other end of the house. At one time I had that computer in my office and was running DVA on it. I knew that DVA was not running on computer 3 but I blocked that IP just to see what happen. The errors were less frequent but still came up. The errors did not stop completely until I shut down computer 3. My wife was complaining about that computer being slow anyway so I reformatted and reinstalled XP. The errors have stopped. However RTVs and DVA still don't see each other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Routers that can do what is needed can be had for well under $50 if you shop around. I choose to not get bogged down by relitively cheap computer hardware. I just toss the old crap and install the new crap.


Bye. :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Marshall
My Linksys BEFSR41v4 can't do that but thanks anyway. And thanks for telling me about the HEX converter, neat.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
539 Posts
Jump over to the Dvarchive Forum and complete the steps as outlined in the Networking "sticky" This has happened many times to othier people. It has always been found to be a networking issue. Check cables, change inputs to an unused input, etc. I had to replace a network card once. Go figure. Anyway, follow the steps as outlined.


Good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burger23
Jump over to the Dvarchive Forum and complete the steps as outlined in the Networking "sticky" This has happened many times to othier people. It has always been found to be a networking issue. Check cables, change inputs to an unused input, etc. I had to replace a network card once. Go figure. Anyway, follow the steps as outlined...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand on 08-09-05 @ 12:51 PM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried everything on the DVA troubleshooting page. Both Replays checked out the way they were supposed to. I was able to open both Replays manual on DVA however the two Replays still wont see each other.


The DVA site said that the Replays used UDP port 1900. Should I open this port on my router? I did but no change yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,715 Posts
Have you tried a crossover cable between your PC and the ReplayTV that's next to it? That would remove any hubs or switches as part of the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
If resetting the router fixed it for a little bit, you might try a new router. The crossover cable is a little tricky because you need to set up static IP addresses on both boxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
I had intermittent problems with my Linksys BEFSR41 -- it's a little buggy.


But I wouldn't replace it yet (not for the cost of the hardware, but for the cost of your time in doing so). First replace cables where you can. Secondly, use different ports on the router. THirdly, and most importantly, turn OFF the DHCP server on the LInksys router. Run everything static and completely disable DHCP on the router. If you must have DHCP running, then at least limit the router to a small range of addresses (like 1, if you only have a laptop that you prefer run DHCP), and reboot all those devices requiring DHCP before you bring the Replays on line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Doodle
One of the other things I did was set my router for static DHCP IP addresses for all of our ReplayTV units. This is done by telling the router what the MAC address is of each ReplayTV and the IP address to give it when it asks for one. That helps stabilize some setups by bypassing the ReplayTV DHCP bug. It also insures that IVS will continue to work. To get the MAC address, use Windows CALC in Sci mode and input the IVS address as a big giant number like 000045483156734 and then convert to HEX and add the colons. 000045483156734 becomes 00:0A:97:01:E4:FE. I learned that here.


Bye. :cool:
Or just Ping your Replay TV from a PC on the same segment as the Replay TV. Shortly after pinging the IP address type "arp -a" at the command prompt and press enter. It will show you a table of the IP addresses and MAC addresses of all devices on your local subnet that your PC has communicated with in the last 30 seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdementia
Or just Ping your Replay TV from a PC on the same segment as the Replay TV. Shortly after pinging the IP address type "arp -a" at the command prompt and press enter. It will show you a table of the IP addresses and MAC addresses of all devices on your local subnet that your PC has communicated with in the last 30 seconds.
Both of which will tell our OP absolutely nothing useful to him , because he has already pointed out that his router does not allow DHCP reservations!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes djdementia I already tried that per the instructions on the Dvarchive Forum didn't really tell me anything other than the RTV Mac address were correct.


I did replace my Linksys BEFSR41 with a new Linksys BEFSR41. No change. I have this Netgear Router on the way. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will solve the problem.


The DHCP is off plyons10. I like to use Static on everything.


Thanks for the help guys. I will net you know if the Netgear router helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Marshall
Yes djdementia I already tried that per the instructions on the Dvarchive Forum didn't really tell me anything other than the RTV Mac address were correct.


I did replace my Linksys BEFSR41 with a new Linksys BEFSR41. No change. I have this Netgear Router on the way. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will solve the problem.


The DHCP is off plyons10. I like to use Static on everything.


Thanks for the help guys. I will net you know if the Netgear router helps.
While on this subject of networking. Can someone explain why DVA can not anymore, copy a show to the computer or playback the show either, BUT ReplayNT can copy the show at Insane Warp Speeds perfectly. Tell me it's the network. It all used to work and things have changed, hell Windows is a moving target with every update. I went to static IPs and followed the sticky as much as possible. When one program works and another doesn't, I stop blaming the hardware and blame the software. (Old school Tech Support). I've simply given up on DVA until/if ever, it's updated. Too bad, I loved the functionality. It's just my head hurt too much from banging it against the wall. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221
...Can someone explain why DVA can not anymore, copy a show to the computer or playback the show either, BUT ReplayNT can copy the show at Insane Warp Speeds perfectly... ...It all used to work and things have changed, hell Windows is a moving target with every update. I went to static IPs and followed the sticky as much as possible...
DVArchive is a very stable, well-written application. My suggestion to you would be:
  1. Go to the DVArchive Forums and read and execute ALL the steps in the Network Troubleshooting Sticky.

    .
  2. Stop DVArchive; Clear out the log; Start DVArchive; let it run for ~5 minutes

    .
  3. Create a new thread over at the DVArchive Forums; post the results of #1 and #2 (use the CODE function from the toolbar when posting the log).

    .
  4. List any hardware that has changed recently.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top