AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm able to pick up a ReplayTV 2000 (RTV-2001) from a friend. Currently I have Comcast Digital Cable with a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box. With the digital cable box I can only record shows that I'm actually watching on TV. I can't watch one show and record on another channel. If I get the ReplayTV 2000 will I be albe to record one channel while watching another

? Also, does replaytv allow for recording on different channels at the same time? For example, if I wanted to record a program on channel 5 at 8PM and a also a program on channel 9 at 8 pm. Is this possible?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Your question isn't really about ReplayTV as it is about the setup of your system.

You need to split your signal in some way. My TV allows me to choose three different sources for video. My DVD player is hooked to one; my Replay to a second, and a direct cable input to the third.

A splitter exists between my cable and the Replay box. The cable box signal goes into the replay, the direct line to the TV. I can record anything I want on the Replay and watch whatever is unscrambled on the TV, just by switching sources. If your TV isn't that sophisticated you just need an AB switch. You can get one at Radio Shack or the like for about $3. The switch will determine whiich signal goes to the TV.

To record scrambled channels and watch scrambled channels you need two converter boxes. There are a number of places on line that can show you diagrams of setups. In fact I believe there's one at the ReplayTV site.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zombiestomper
? Also, does replaytv allow for recording on different channels at the same time? For example, if I wanted to record a program on channel 5 at 8PM and a also a program on channel 9 at 8 pm. Is this possible?
No, the Replay only has one encoder so you can only watch live or record one thing at a time. But, you can watch anything you have previously recorded while simultaneously recording something, which is what I do most of the time. I NEVER watch a show live any more, I watch something else I recorded while it's recording and then watch that show without commercials, so I save literally hours of time each week that otherwise would be totally lost just sitting there listening to commercials.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.