AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions which I have not found addressed on these forums.

Can I change the dial time from the middle of the night to the middle of the day?

Can I quiet the hard drive, it's so loud that it wakes me up when it goes on in the middle of the night to dial.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
1. No

2. You mean it doesn't wake you when it spins up every hour? Only when it spins up to dial out? Hmmmm..........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it does wake us up whenever it spins up. Sometimes it's on in the middle of the night for an hour! I love the functionality but we can't have this in the bedroom anymore, which is where we watch most of our TV.

Any other ideas?

Should I try to replace the drive with a more quiet model?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Some people are more sensitive to the sound than others. Until you have a basis for comparison we don't know whether the sound is in excess of normal levels or not. Do you know of anyone with another unit you could listen to and compare?

Or you can always hide the unit in another room or a closet and use an IR repeater to control it with. Luckily one doesn't need physical access to it to use it to its full capabilities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

The problem with a remote solution is that we are using the serial cable to control a DirectTV box, so I can't get too far from the TV. Another problem with this box is that I am spending $20/month on LD phone charges to update the menu. What a pain all around.

I wish this was easier.

My PC hard drive is far quieter than the ReplayTV. I have a spare maxtor 80 gig. Is that's what's inside the 3060? Maybe I could transplant.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance. BTW, my family lived in the Bay Towers for 15 years.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Wrong Bayside, this one is part of NYC.

Just how far West of Boston are you that you're incurring LD charges?

And yes, you can put in the 80GB drive and see if it's quieter. You'll also get 20 additional hours at extended quality as a bonus.

The procedure is easy if you're familiar with the innards of a PC and can follow instructions.

Start your quest here:

http://replayfaq.reidpix.com/faq.asp?id=80

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bay Towers in Bayside, Queens. Wrong Bayside, sorry.

I am 20 miles west of Boston and I have reviewed the list available on the ReplayTV screen.

Regarding the quieter drive, I wouldn't care about the extra time, I am more concerned with the noise level.

I assume there are instructions for swapping drives?

If you can point me somewhere, that would be helpful.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Could you have possibly meant Bay Club (Towers) in Queens? I thought you meant Bayside in Boston (when I saw your location.)

And I did point you to the starting gate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, Bay Club, we called it Bay Towers.

And Yes, I did click through to the link you provided and I think I can handle it. I don't have W2K, but I do have both a Win 98ME and XP systems running.

Have you ever done one yourself?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
3 of them.

You can't use ME but you sure can XP (although reports are than some actions take longer with XP.) An alternative is the linux floppy route, but I haven't tried that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. Do you know anyone who offers this as a paid service? For me, it could take hours. And I may end up with a buch of dead hardware.

If you know of anyone, I would be very interested.

Thanks for all your help answering my questions,

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Hi muzikboy,

What you want is a seagate drive. They are the quietest of them all. I can fix you up with a 80 gig seagate for $160 + $8 shipping. Email me if interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to Mike, I have successfully installed the drive he prepared for me and I am now happily using my ReplayTV with 20 extra hours of programming!

Thanks Mike for great service and all your help in getting this done. Your instructions were perfect and I appreciate the little extra touch of including the tie-wraps to secure the drive.

Finally, we can now sleep in the same room as our ReplayTV!!!

Muzikboy

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I'm glad you're happy with the Seagate. I was more than happy to help as well.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Muzikboy,

You're right! Mikeyboy is the best. I owe him thanks for a great upgrade on my 3060--software, hardware & quick, honest service. (I don't know about his serves!) :)

Iaen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.