AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size & type hard drives come in the new ReplayTV 4000 models?

Is the general rule 2 Gigabytes per hour of record time?

If that is true, then the 40 hour model would have an 80 GB drive?

What about the configuration of these models:

RTV4320 ( Approx. 320 hours of recording time) $ 1,999

RTV4160 ( Approx. 160 hours of recording time) $ 1,499

RTV4080 ( Approx. 80 hours of recording time) $ 999

RTV4040 ( Approx. 40 hours of recording time) $ 699

Those price jumps between models seems steep since 80 GB drives are running less than $200. What else do they do to increase the capacity besides install another drive? Will they be upgradeable (either by me or the factory)?

Also, any idea when they will ship the new 4000s? I saw the press release saying that the TV networks were preparing to file a law suit but have they actually filed it? If so, does anyone have a link to the law suit or a good article?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
My understanding is that it is about 1 gb = 1hour at low quality. 2 gb = 1 hour at medium and 3 gb = 1hour at high quality. Now those are not precise numbers, but rather me noticing the amount of time left with my 80gb upgradied 3030.

No one knows whether they 4k series will be upgradable, because none of us have them yet (or those that do are under an NDA). I am going to assume that they tried to prevent upgrading due to the pricing scheme they have. No way do the harddrives themsleves account for the price differences in the units (perhaps the higher end units require a 2nd IDE channel?).

As far as I know, the shipping dates have not been affected by the Lawsuit press release.

Scyber

·
Registered
752 Posts
40 hours- 40 gig. That is why at best quality you will only really get 15 hours.

the price jump does seem a little strange.

the 4000's are supposed to ship Nov 15th according to SonicBlue. we will see.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
EDITED as per responses below;

I didn't know 160 gig drives were readily available;

what is the cost difference between a 160 gig drive and two 80 gig drives? Which would be cheaper?:

At least with previous models,

It was 1 gigabyte per standard (VHS quality) recording hour.

A 40 gig hard drive can record 40 hours at standard, 20 hours at medium, and 13.33 hours at High.

Basically:

Standard = 1 gig / hour

Medium = 2 gig / hour

High = 3 gig / hour

A 40 hour model has a nominal 40 gig drive. Note when you buy a drive, it isn't actually a round number, it is a little larger than rated.

So a 40 hour unit has a 40 gig drive,

an 80 hour unit has an 80 gig drive,

a 160 hour unit has one 160 gig drive or possibly two 80 gig drives,

and a 320 hour unit has two 160 gig drives

Joe

·
Registered
156 Posts
Actually Dr. Joe I think the RTV-4320 will have two 160 GB drives, at least it appears that way from the photograph of the internal workings of the 4Ks on one of Replay's web-pages. Can't recall the exact hyperlink to it, as I gota go run an errand right now. Maybe someone else can post the precise hyperlink to the photo.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don't worry about the HD Data Cable ... it's either an IDE or SCSI. Replay doesn't have enough rocks in it's pockets to get Maxtor to develope a proprieary drive interface.

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
The drive looks like Maxtor or Maytag I'm not sure which.
Well neither technically... these are the "Quaxtors". I have a bunch of them and they're great. Toots its not really a Maxtor so you can just hold your nose seems to be a real quantum inside and out. The only difference I can see between these and the "quantum quickview" quantums is these have 2meg buffer and claim to spin @ 5400 instead of 4500 but this buffer hasn't been a problem. Also they now have a nice little plastic cover over the underside electronics and are a hair quieter but the individual belly led is still there and they sport all quantum control chips. If you upgrade with these you also have to remember the jumpers are still quantum style too. Let's just hope they "think" they are Matag shhh nobody tell em :cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Barley
What size & type hard drives come in the new ReplayTV 4000 models?

Is the general rule 2 Gigabytes per hour of record time?
It's still approx 1GB/hr in standard quality and 2GB/hr for medium and 3GB/hr for high quality.
Quote:

What about the configuration of these models:

RTV4320 ( Approx. 320 hours of recording time) $ 1,999

RTV4160 ( Approx. 160 hours of recording time) $ 1,499

RTV4080 ( Approx. 80 hours of recording time) $ 999

RTV4040 ( Approx. 40 hours of recording time) $ 699
The 4040 and 4080 will be one drive units(40GB and 80GB, respectively), while the exact configuration of the 4160 and 4320 will be based upon availability of parts.
Quote:

Also, any idea when they will ship the new 4000s?
First customer ship will happen in November, although it may not happen on the scheduled date of Nov 15th, we're working very hard to meet this date.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayPatrick
the exact configuration of the 4160 and 4320 will be based upon availability of parts.
So the 4000 can definately use FOUR drives? Because other than 2 x 160, the only feasible setup for a 320 hour unit is either (1) 120 and (2) 100, or (4) 80...

·
Registered
272 Posts
4 drives? Wouldn't that mean that the box needs to have 2 ATA host adapters? Anyone can confirm this?

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
So the 4000 can definately use FOUR drives? Because other than 2 x 160, the only feasible setup for a 320 hour unit is either (1) 120 and (2) 100, or (4) 80...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pericles
4 drives? Wouldn't that mean that the box needs to have 2 ATA host adapters? Anyone can confirm this?
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the machines have two ide channels, they don't. Look at the pics on the tech specs page, its evident that there is only one ide header on the board.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
So that means the 4160 can ship with either a single 160GB or two 80GB drives, but the 4320 , for the time being will be a two 160GB drive unit.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Is there an advantage to having one drive as opposed to two drives in these units, or visa versa. For example, would it be better to have two 80gig drives or 1 160gig drive in a 4160?

I am still trying to hash out what sizes I am going to get since I ordered two units. I am thinking that the 4080 might be a bit small, especially if the picture quality is noticeably better on these new units due to the vga out, that it would be worth recording on high. Two 4160's would probably be too much for me but it would be nice not to ever have to worry about running out of space.

:confused:

·
Registered
849 Posts
You would definitely want one, because if you read any posts here about the hacks will see that two drives is FRAUGHT with problems. First there is the heat and noise problems. Then there is the power drain issue. Not to mention that managing a split volume across drives is flaky and if the second drive doesn't spin up in time or something, the whole volume can become corrupt. But on the plus side, since the 160s just came out, it's likely cheaper to buy 2 80s then 1 160, hence his comment about 'availablity of parts' making the decision.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.