AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
how about a middle ground? Annoying, but not mad as hell?

If my Pause-Exit macro works as well as I suspect, I probably will switch to don't care.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Hey, when I push pause, I'am going out of the room anyway:eek:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Reden
how about a middle ground? Annoying, but not mad as hell?

If my Pause-Exit macro works as well as I suspect, I probably will switch to don't care.
I second Reden's suggestion - otherwise the poll could unintentionally solicit extremist views rather than centric views.

My own view is centric: Keep the ads, but just revert back to the timeout SonicBlue tried a few weeks ago: 5 minute delay instead of 2. (Or if not 5 minutes - how about 3? 4?)

(A suggestion I offered in another thread yesterday.)

---------------

"Give me moderate, centrist views, or give me death!"

- Jerry

·
Registered
416 Posts
The 'mad as hell' notation could be toned down a little, but I think it does need to express some of the passion against the ads that have been shown here recently and during the ads' previous incarnation.

I think that having a too moderate choice of 'feelings' could skew the poll since most people would agree that fewer ads are better than more ads.

If I had a choice, I would rather there be No ads, but since I am not the decision maker regarding ads or no ads, I will submit that the current implementation of them is the least intrusive I've seen.

Other program guides devote up to a quarter of the screen to an ad space in an area where it is much more often view than the Replay ad space.

Ads --> bad

Replays ads --> better than most

If you want to use the Replay ads issue as your soapbox to rail against the commercialization of just about everything in our lives, fine, I agree with you. (That wouldn't be your Ivory soapbox, now, would it?? ;) ) There is way too many pop-behind browser ads, too much selling, too much privacy invasion, too much tracking, too much advertising, too much power in the hands of commercial interests and not enough being done to protect the private individual out in the marketplace.

But Replay seems to have worked out a system that has an annoyance factor much lower than it could have been. Be thankful for small favors.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its been said before, but it bearsd repeating at every opportunity: there should be a screen saver mode on the showstopper and replay devices, and it appears that this advertising screen COULD work as one if only Replay would listen.

Why not rotate a series of billboards - I don't care if its advertising, art or trash - just don't burn in my beautiful Sony XBR with that stupid blue screen that comes up when a show finishes, or when my daughter pauses Boy Meets World for 12 hours...

R

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Slightly off topic but,

As I was working toward my PhD, I had to get a masters degree as part of the process. (Some places admit you and let you go straight from BA to PhD, others, like where I went, insist on you doing an MA on the way, even though they admitted you with the intent of getting a PhD.)

In my MA research project (boring, boring, boring, but that's the sort of crap I had to do), I decided to make a questionnaire, and in the process, learned something very important. Maybe even learned something that was the point of getting the MA:

Getting an accurate poll is impossible, and perhaps the only people more annoyed than the ones who have to take the questionnaire will be the ones who have to interpret the results.

Here's the problem: Ask an open-ended question, and you get as many different categories of answer as you get responses, and there's no way to analyze them in any meaningful quantitative way. (My feeling is that it's a mistake to try to quantify peoples' opinions, but that's why I almost didn't get the PhD, but I digress from my digression.)

So, we resort to the time honored tradition of a forced-choice survey. Ask a question and give the participants a limited number of options for their responses. (Another digression from my digression: Worst example of this I saw was in an exit interview once. They asked why I was quitting, and handed me the company approved list of reasons. I noted that "personal reaons" wasn't on the list, and they told me that they'd lost 90% of their employees to "personal reasons" so they decided to remove that one from the list to cut down on the turnover.)

Here's the guarantees to the forced choice surveys:

1) None of the choices you give will exactly match anyone's real feelings - the best you can hope for is an approximation

2) Giving a lot of reasons gets you back to non-quantifiable results

3) Everyone is going to whine and moan that their real reason isn't on the list

4) If it's on paper, they'll as often as not pencil in their own choice and/or reword the question. No two penciled in choices will ever be the same - unless you failed to include an obvious alternate choice

Ultimately, you gotta make hard choices. Limit the number of responses so that you can get something meaningful out of the data, then realize that when it's all done, the results are nearly meaningless because none of the choices really represented any of the participant's true feelings.

I like the SlashDot disclaimer they put on their polls:

- Don't complain about lack of options. You've got to pick a few when you do multiple choice. Those are the breaks.

- Feel free to suggest poll ideas if you're feeling creative. I'd strongly suggest reading the past polls first.

- This whole thing is wildly inaccurate. Rounding errors, ballot stuffers, dynamic IPs, firewalls. If you're using these numbers to do anything important, you're insane.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
While they don't make me "mad as hell", the pause screens still blow. I find them intrusive and ill-conceived. Selling a Replay to someone who already has one by using a pause screen just doesn't work well, that's like preaching to the choir...we're already aware of the 4K and PVR's in general and we already know if our next PVR will be a Replay or not.

Even if it did work, this tactic could only gain them repeat customers, not new ones, so they're basically shooting themselves in the foot by trying to take advantage of a free advertising opportunity that will both have little effect and will definitely piss off their loyal customers. A backfire in the making if I ever saw one.

It's also irritating that they designed the pause screen to include 100% white lettering, which we all try to avoid when pausing for obvious reasons. It's like they're taunting us, saying "Look what we can do! We could easily download a nice screensaver for you, but instead, how about a slap in the face!":p

Actually, I bet they could sell more units (and create a lot of buzz and good will) if they would download a screensaver rather than by jerking us around with these dumb ads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.