AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the ReplayTV 4000 series work with a modem connection to update the program listings, or is a broadband connection required?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I called Replay tech support and asked this same question. The answer I was given by the rep was that no, it could not be used at all with just a conventional phone line. Apparently, it has a connector for a regular phone line, but that is ONLY used for troubleshooting, and the 4k unit will not get guide data that way.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
If you have a network connection, I can virtually guarantee you can use a 4000. Replay doesn't know if it's DSL, Cable, or 56k.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I doubt the Replay looks to see if it's cable, dsl or a cup & a string attached to it's ehternet port. As long as it can send out a request and get an answer to the net, it should be happy.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I guess the real question is how long will the 4000 series try to connect to the replay servers b4 it times out. It is possible to set up a Dial-on-demand network where everytime a computer needs network connection the modem dials, but that can take upwords of 1 minute to establish a connection. If the 4000 series times out in less time then there could be a problem with anyone not on a broadband connection.

Replay guys? Any knowledge on how long till the replay 4000 series will time out?

Scyber

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
the replay guys (ben & patrick i think) said in the past that the replay 4000 will connect in the background - no connection screen will pop up

they must have made some allowances for problems with people's broadband connections - so hopefully if your dial-up is connected for an hour or so at some point it will phone home

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.