AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newby, followed all the instructions for upgrading my 4040 with a second disk (80 gig Western Digital). I used the linux floppy method because I had to use the c: boot drive controller. Anyway, seemed to go OK. I set source to the original 40gig Replaytv disk, copied sys info to the Western Digital, ran patch (this was onfusing because it seemed to want to call my replaytv disk #2. Finished, put back in my unit, powered up, and get a 'ReplayTV Please Wait' screen that won't go away. The red led blinks continuously.

So I pluged back in the replaytv orig.disk into my PC (by itself) and ran the Win 2000 version of RTVpatch2.1. Tried to 'backup sourse drive' and it warns me of it not appearing to be a Replay drive!!! Did I screw it up. If so, can I download a new system image somewhere? Also got a deal on a Maxtor 170gig and RTVpatch2.1 doesn't seem to recognize it. I got a ata/133 controler so I can boot of the c: drive now.

Any help will be appreciated..please remember I am a newby, so much of what I said above could be completely off re: what's really happened and my interpretation!

Thanks

Doug R.

·
Registered
388 Posts
First of all, was your original drive a Maxtor or Western Digital. If it is WD, set the jumper to Master w/Slave.

Now, your RTVPatch procedure:

You could have used the Win2000 RTVpatch and installed both drives on the Secondary IDE Bus. Then you could have set the original to Master and the new drive to Slave, which are the settings you would have needed to set up a dual drive system in your 4000.

You should not have copied any system files to the new drive and simply patch both drives as a dual drive system in Win2000.

Somewhere on this forum is the location of an image you can use for the 4000. Find it and download it, restore to your original drive then patch it. Then you can follow the steps above to create your dual drive system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The image worked! Thanks! I lost my old shows but no worries, I'm just glad to get my Replay back.

Now I'm sitting here trying get RTVpatch to recognize my new Maxtor 160GIG. No luck...anyone have a suggestion. Should I format it using Maxtor utilities...my PC recognizes it???

Thanks Again,

Doug

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does your PC recognize it as 160Gb or 137GB?

It has to be recognizable as 160GB for you to prep it for a 4000.

If you get through that last part, what version of RTVPatch are you using?

What comes next depends on your answers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have version 2.1 of RTVPatch. The drive was recognized as 160GB before I tried to run the Linux boot disk version of RTV. I messed something up here, and now the Bios seems to recognize a disk but is shows NO size. It is plugged into a ATA/133 card that should be OK with >137GB drives as proven by my first attempt. I even tried Maxtors utility to format the disk and it doesn't seem to appreciate it either??

Doug

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
OK so you want to use a 160 gig drive in a replay 4000 series.

You will need to use RTVPatch2.3.1beta http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/r...a.exe?download

and you must use win2000 or win xp computer along with your ATA 133 PCI card. Your computer should show the drive as a 160 gig. If the RTVPatch2.3.1Beta shows the drive as a 160 gig go ahead and do the upgrade procedure.

It's common for maxtor utilities even the ones that came with the drive not to work correctly. There are some issues with it. Here is one that works. ftp://anonymous:[email protected]/P...%20PCI%20card/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mikeyboy,

OK, here's the latest status...Used your image and put it on the new 80Gig Western Digital and on the original 40Gig Maxtor (that I messed up the first time). It took and the 80 Gig booted right up in the 4040 all by itself. So I jumped a head and decided to make it a 2 drive system with that 80gig as the Primary and my other 160gig as my secondary. Well RTVPatch v2.1.3beta only 'sees' the 160 gig as a 20gig?? but I decided to try anyway.

I copied the image to the 160 (not sure this was correct thing to do?), and ran 'create 2 drive system' with the 80gig as the primary.

Into the 4040 replay unit they went with the jumpers set on master for drive 1 and slave for drive 2. Well, the system says 'ReplayTV please wait' then jumps to the next instruction screen and then to black screen. It seems to automatically try to reboot and does this whole cycle over and over. I tried switching the jumpers to cable select also...same result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug

P.S. The 160 gig maxtor is recognized on my ata/100 controler as 137gig in RTVPatch, however when I plug it into my ata/133 controller....it's shown as a 20gig :(

I'm going to try the Mator utility again..that you sent. It didn't work either the first time but I will reinstal the ata/133 controller card driver and attempt again. Should I be looking for a drive repair menu or 'low level format'????

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You have two problems.

First, when making a 2 drive system start by making a single drive setup with the first disk you want to use in the 2 drive setup. In other words if you want the 160 to be the first disk then copy the system files to it and say yes to everything then patch the drive saying yes to everything. The 160 is now a bootable single drive replay disk (if jumper is set to master). To add the second disk you select 2 drive system then assign the 160 as first disk and the 80 as the second disk (no system files go on 2nd drives). Make the 2 drive system and you will see the 160 is disk 1 of 2 and the 80 is disk 2 of 2. To boot in the replay the 160 must be jumpered to master and the 80 gig jumpered to slave. That's all there is to the 2 drive system.

The other problem being the 160 is recognized as a 20 gig even though it is connected to the ATA 133 card with the ribbon that came with the drive I don't know.

You have to use the 133 card, ATA 100 will say 137 gigs as you well know. With the 160 gig hooked to the 133 card running in win xp right click on My computer - Manage - Disk Management and see how the 160 shows up there. Delete any partitions you see. That drive should show up as a 160 gig (maybe it'll read 153 gig, same same).

Even if you get Powermax to identify the 160 gig drive (with the Maxtor disk utility from the link) there isn't any reset master boot record option. You are aware Maxtor disk utilities will only work when booted from the floppy, not within windows. I still don't know of anything in Powermax that will correct the misread drive size. I'm hoping deleting any partitions on the 160 and your reloading the ATA 133 card driver will set it right. Call Maxtor support if you still can't get the 160 recognized as 160.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.