AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pleased to be able to make available the third release of the new ReplayTV 5000 "toolkit".

For those not familiar with the initial releases: Three utilities were included to allow editing of downloaded ReplayTV 5000 streams, converting ReplayTV 4000 and other MPEG streams, performing edits (commercials etc) and streaming them back using DVArchive.

"What's New," you ask? Well that is a great question and here is the answer.

evtdump:

+ Add code to normalize the audio to handle "low volume" evt files

+ Added binaries for OSX and linux.

rtvedit:

+ Added -t1 flag to correct external times for RTV 5K streams.

+ Added # edit type for comments and ignore empty lines.

rtvconvert:

+ Improved MPEG stream parsing and relaxed stream restrictions.

+ Unconstrained video width, constrain video height to 480 or higher.

+ Allow frame rates at 23.976, 29.97 and 59.94 ([email protected]).

+ Allow progressive streams.

+ New TMPGEnc templates for NTSC and NTSCFilm.

(Please read the enclosed changes.txt for more detailed descriptions.)

Source code is only available for the evtdump tool and has not changed since the first release and is included in this archive.

Download includes win32 binaries, linux binaries and OS X binaries. Extract the ZIP with pathnames intact.

UPDATED with new evtdump.

rtv5ktools_v32.zip 140.4794921875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Lee,

I am a relatively new user to DVArchive and such. I got my first Replay in December '02 and my 2nd in Feb '03. I would like to edit some of my favorite tech shows to get a segment or two form each. Is this what I can get from your program? How hard would it be to learn for a newbie?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's fairly straightforward, why not just give it a go? You can always post questions if you have trouble.

I should note again that I am not the author of these tools, the author wants to remain anonymous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love these tools!!!! I am having issues with evtdump though. I am fairly literate in video conversion, dvd burning, mpeg2 encoding, etc. And I have read every single solitary thread on the subject of these tools so that I wouldn't ask a repeat question. So I am not 100% newbie but I have ZERO knowledge of c+ programming / scripting. I am trying to edit out commercials from my rtv5 unit captures that I have pulled into the PC with DVarchive. One such program is a comedy central program and here is what I am doing...

evtdump "comedy central presents.evt" > comedy.txt

My resulting txt file is this:

Fcomedy central presents.mpg

D027:18.436

E

As you can see I have absolutely NO commercial breaks. All I get is the end point. I have tried multiple files, not just this one example. This example is a medium quality capture, I have tried high qual as well. I never record in standard so I don't know if those would be ok or not but moot point.

PLEASE HELP... ANYBODY

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Oh boy...

I've been playing around with the tmpgenc settings and really glad the checks on the input streams to rtv_convert are lifted. Thanks.

Can you explain the what the -t1 option does in rtvedit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
First off, thanks for the tool set! They should be great for the ReplayTV community.

Now my question. I have a football game recorded at high quality that I have already stripped out the commercials with the tools. The resulting file is still 6G. Is there a tool to shrink down the mpg to fit on a DVD, something like DVD shrink does for DVDs? (can't post a DVD shrink URL yet, this is only my second post, but a google search should turn it up if people are curious).

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shaddshadd
My resulting txt file is this:

Fcomedy central presents.mpg

D027:18.436

E

As you can see I have absolutely NO commercial breaks. All I get is the end point. I have tried multiple files, not just this one example. This example is a medium quality capture, I have tried high qual as well. I never record in standard so I don't know if those would be ok or not but moot point.

PLEASE HELP... ANYBODY
There are some "problem" evts in which the RTV creates an audio event for every audio frame - it seems to think the volume levels are too low. These evts get treated as a single large segment by evtdump, so you get the above. Since they capture all audio frames, these evts are identifiable by size (over 1MB per hour). I've attached a version which will normalize these and give you some useful times, but they may not be as good as from a properly formed evt. Give it a try and see if it gives you better results.

If all else fails, you can always create the edits manually, which is more accurate than evtdump anyway.

(Attachment deleted, moved to later post)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well you are right about the evt file size.

{{{Since they capture all audio frames, these evts are identifiable by size (over 1MB per hour).}}}

They are about 1.2 MB each for 30 minute shows in medium quality. The "tweaked" evtdump you attached was of no use... it made things even worse ;-) Now I get this:

FAlegria.mpg

E

Any idea what is causing this??? You mentioned that it may be bad audio?? I have been considering new / different cabling between the Satellite receiver and the rtv unit.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by briancarp
First off, thanks for the tool set! They should be great for the ReplayTV community.

Now my question. I have a football game recorded at high quality that I have already stripped out the commercials with the tools. The resulting file is still 6G. Is there a tool to shrink down the mpg to fit on a DVD, something like DVD shrink does for DVDs? (can't post a DVD shrink URL yet, this is only my second post, but a google search should turn it up if people are curious).

Thanks
Generally the ReplayTV MPEG2s can't be put directly on a DVD anyway without transcoding.

I'd recommend investing in a good MPEG2 encoder: TMPGEnc, Vegas Video etc. Some people like Womble (but I think it's pretty bad).

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
Oh boy...

I've been playing around with the tmpgenc settings and really glad the checks on the input streams to rtv_convert are lifted. Thanks.

Can you explain the what the -t1 option does in rtvedit?

From the docs:

Quote:
Since rtvedit is intended to use times from evtdump, the times used in the

edit list are based off the .ndx/.evt clock (which is different from the

stream clock). If you are creating an edit list manually, you must use an

application that will give you frame times (not MPEG times) or your results

will be off. The new -t1 flag allows using frame times from an external

application. This only works for original RTV 5K streams (not converted or

edited).

Virtualdub-mpeg2, 1.5.4 or later, is recommended for manually finding edit

times. For best results, hold SHIFT to snap to I-frames and pick the one

where you want the edit to occur. Once you've created the edit list, use:

rtvedit -t1

This will adjust the script times to the closest editable locations in the

stream. This should be much more accurate (within 2 frames from my testing with medium streams).
To summarize:

Basically without the -t1 option, the time marks in the edit file are assumed to be using the Replay's clock. So if you make your own edit file from an external application the edits will be slightly (around half a second) off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Well you are right about the evt file size.

{{{Since they capture all audio frames, these evts are identifiable by size (over 1MB per hour).}}}

They are about 1.2 MB each for 30 minute shows in medium quality. The "tweaked" evtdump you attached was of no use... it made things even worse ;-) Now I get this:

FAlegria.mpg

E

Any idea what is causing this??? You mentioned that it may be bad audio?? I have been considering new / different cabling between the Satellite receiver and the rtv unit.
Can you zip up and attach one of the bad evts? If it's too big to attach, record a smaller clip that has a commercial break in it. I only get a few of these from my 5K and the new code works for the ones I have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Thompson
Generally the ReplayTV MPEG2s can't be put directly on a DVD anyway without transcoding.

I'd recommend investing in a good MPEG2 encoder: TMPGEnc, Vegas Video etc. Some people like Womble (but I think it's pretty bad).
The software that came with my DVD burner (MyDVD), will do the transcoding, but it won't take the file as an input since it is greater than 4.7G. Somehow I need to get the file compressed to

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by briancarp
The resulting file is still 6G. Is there a tool to shrink down the mpg to fit on a DVD, something like DVD shrink does for DVDs?
If you want to squeeze it down to fit on a DVD without re-encoding, couldn't you just author the DVD with the 6GB stream, then run DVD Shrink on the resulting VIDEO_TS folder? You'd need the 2GB extra disk space, but it should work.

(Actually, you'd need about 6GB extra space and I hadn't thought that consumer authoring packages would restrict output to 4.7GB anyway) :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really appreciate you looking at this for me. I am pretty stubborn and will not usually ask for help. You learn a lot more with trial and error. But as I said in my original post - I don't have the slightest clue what I am looking at if I view these files.

Here is an evt from a married with children episode. 30 minute episode - medium quality capture. I zipped it and it brought the file size WAY down from the 1.2MB to make it more manageable for you.

Once again, thanks in advance... I am heading downstairs to watch the bears game so I won't even be looking for a post from you until tomorrow.

married.zip 10.638671875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
This .evt works just fine. It's only 30K unzipped and generates this:

FMarried ... With Children - Business Still Sucks.mpg

A000:38.400

D002:28.111

A002:53.155

A003:08.148

A003:38.234

A003:53.274

A004:08.224

A005:08.324

A005:23.559

D015:49.806

A015:59.743

A016:29.793

A016:59.814

A017:29.857

A017:44.876

A017:59.768

A018:30.022

A019:00.254

D027:26.388

A027:36.420

A028:36.672

A029:07.208

A029:37.553

A029:52.584

E

rtvedit would catch the following segments:

000:38.400 - 002:28.111

005:23.559 - 015:49.806

019:00.254 - 027:26.388

for about 21 minutes in total. Comparing with -graph, the cut times look good to me.

If you can, post one that the modified evtdump won't decode. Also, make sure that CA on the RTV actually works for that stream - if it doesn't, evtdump probably won't work on it either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wasn't paying attention. There was a very similar filename because this was a 2 part episode. Here is the one that will not decode. Happily, I was able to get the same results with the one that I sent you originally. That was my first success.

business sucks.zip 430.169921875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
I wasn't paying attention. There was a very similar filename because this was a 2 part episode. Here is the one that will not decode. Happily, I was able to get the same results with the one that I sent you originally. That was my first success.
Thanks shaddshadd. This one was certainly more interesting. ;)

I updated the evtdump.zip in Post #7 with a new version that dynamically calculates the audio threshold value (the previous value was never getting hit due to the narrow evt range). Give it another try - I think you'll find it much better.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am using rtvedit on a freshly dumped file under OS X, calling just the binary and the path of the dumped text file (no optional params) and am getting:

Unrecognized .ndx file format.

This is a 5000 file recorded at standard. Any ideas why it doesn't work?

Sorry... Nevermind. It seems to be a problem with my IDE and long file names.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.