AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me add my admiration and thanks to Gerry Duprey for the fantastic work he's done with DVArchive. It's greatly appreciated!!

However, I am experiencing a problem which I hope someone can help me with. When I try to stream a downloaded file from DVArchive 2.0 to my ReplayTV 5040 it inevitably causes the ReplayTV to crash and require a hard (holding the power switch for aprrox. 20 seconnds) re-boot. The length of time it takes before the ReplayTV crashes varies anywhere from 3 minutes to 55 minutes. I tried varying the "streaming buffer size" but it had no effect. The system I'm running DVArchive on is as follows:

Shuttle SB51G w/FB51 Motherboard

2.66GHz Pentium 4

Intel 845GE Chipset

Realtek RTL8139/810X Fast Ethernet NIC

Netgear FS105 Fast Ehternet Switch

Anyone have any suggestions?

With Thanks,

n.wong

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of the first recommendations is usually to try a higher-end NIC card in the PC. Both 3Com and Intel are generally good.

I had a similar problem with my set-up. Mine was a combination of a bad cable and an older SMC/Realtek NIC card. I used to have stuttering/failures all the time. Now, I still get one everyone once in a great while, but very infrequent. I think the Replay's are very sensitive to network anamolies and the network interface is somewhat underpowered.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I'm sorry mibsy but I don't think it is the NIC card. The problem you are having is different than this one. If n.wong and I are having the same issue it is not stuttering or video not available issues. It is more like everything is working great and then all of a sudden a screeching noise followed by a black screen. Then like n.wong said the only way to get the replay to work is a reboot.

At first I thought my problem was that I am tring to use an older PC to serve as my Library Server. It is a:

Dell Optiplex GXPro PentiumPro 233MHz

128mb RAM

200gb Drive Array

Windows 2000

I was waiting to get a new system to try again but n.wong is using a P4 system with the same issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quartrj is describing exactly the problem that I'm experiencing. Misby, since I have access to a 3com 3C905C-TXM NIC, I'll still try your suggestion and let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too apprecate the dvArchive program and would like to say THANKS THANKS and more THANKS to those responsible for creating it. I am however experiencing the same problem as the others have described here.

Dell Dimension 8100

Pentium 4 (1.4 mhz)

640 meg RAM

Nic: 3COM 3c920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller

No other applications are running while dvArchive is running. It seems during each show that I watch, at least once the screen will burst into a flash of static then black. I have to hold power button down and force a reboot. Any ideas to help solve this would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does it happen everytime, sometimes, infrequently for the folks in this thread? I don't get the reboots as often, but it does happen once in a while. It used to be much worse.

I posted more info on what helped on planetreplay - http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2716 (not a total fix, since I've had a few reboots since I posted). I also make no claims on whether it will have any impact on your situation. I think the network takes up far more resources on the ReplayTV 5040 than it should. Window sizes could make a difference on a machine that has the performance issues the ReplayTV does when streaming. A large Window size on very reliable networks (home networks usually qualify), actually causes more data to be retransmitted if an error or timeout occurs while waiting for acknowledgements back from the receiver. Lowering the Window Size might be better.

I guess more study is necessary on the specific network traffic between DVArchive and the ReplayTV vice two ReplayTVs is in order. I have both set-ups and streaming between two ReplayTV's has never caused a reboot. I'll see if there is anything obviously different.

Odd thing is that many folks appear to stream just fine....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by n.wong
quartrj is describing exactly the problem that I'm experiencing. Misby, since I have access to a 3com 3C905C-TXM NIC, I'll still try your suggestion and let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks.

The 3C905-TXM is an excellent card. Although the FAQ mentions raising the TCP Window sizes, you might also try lowering it to small increment of 1460. Unfortunately you need to reboot after you make the change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yep - I've had the same problem several times (although not every time). That screeching noise sucks - it's caused me to jump about a foot off the couch every time it's happened!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mibsy
One of the first recommendations is usually to try a higher-end NIC card in the PC. Both 3Com and Intel are generally good.
Tried the 3com 3C905C-TXM NIC with the latest drivers and it made no difference.

Quote:
Does it happen everytime, sometimes, infrequently for the folks in this thread? I don't get the reboots as often, but it does happen once in a while. It used to be much worse.
It happens every time.

Quote:
Although the FAQ mentions raising the TCP Window sizes, you might also try lowering it to small increment of 1460.

Tried various TCP Window sizes, ranging from 20 to 64240, and it made no difference. The RPTV crashed anywhere from 9 minutes to 50 minutes into a streamed video. Btw, It makes no difference if the streamed video is either a "High Quality" or "Medium Quality" file. I don't have any downloaded "Low Quality" files, so I haven't tried streaming them. My guess is that it won't make a difference.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

With Thanks,

n.wong

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm getting this error many times in the DVArchive event log

04/18 14:15:28 ERROR: Error writing file footer/end chunk for D:\\dvarchive\\Local_Guide\\Star Trek- Voyager - Basics.ndx to remote client -- Software caused connection abort: socket write error

04/18 14:15:28 ERROR: Error processing served request from DVR Family Room -- Software caused connection abort: socket write error

Then the screeching noise followed by the black screen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by quartrj
I'm getting this error many times in the DVArchive event log

04/18 14:15:28 ERROR: Error writing file footer/end chunk for D:\\dvarchive\\Local_Guide\\Star Trek- Voyager - Basics.ndx to remote client -- Software caused connection abort: socket write error

04/18 14:15:28 ERROR: Error processing served request from DVR Family Room -- Software caused connection abort: socket write error

Then the screeching noise followed by the black screen.
I'm also getting the same errors, but I've read in other threads that a lot of people are getting them but not experiencing any problems. In fact Gerry Duprey mentioned that he hasn't been able to isolate the problem but it doesn't seem to be causing any performance issues. See the thread at: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...s&pagenumber=6

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Well, for something different....I just crashed my 5160 while streaming from my 5040.....

The Dreamer

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer
Well, for something different....I just crashed my 5160 while streaming from my 5040.....

The Dreamer
Unfortunatly, this backs up what I've seen. Most folks see this with DVA just because 1) Most folks only have one RTV so DVA is the only place they stream from and 2) Even with multiple RTVs, in *most* cases, folks stram from DVA much more than RTV.

In the end, it often appears that something in the RTV has become corrupt when these things start getting so pervasive. The level of corruption varies - sometimes causing problems on every attempt to stream, sometimes only occasionally.

I have had a number of reports of folks who, after exhausting everything else, did a factory reset of the RTV and had things get better. Of course, that means you loose everything (not only shows, but your list of programs to record), so it's definatly something you have to carefully weigh. And be aware that there is no guarantee this will "fix" things - for about 40% of the folks, that doesn't seem to help either :-(

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mibsy

I had a similar problem with my set-up. Mine was a combination of a bad cable and an older SMC/Realtek NIC card. I used to have stuttering/failures all the time. Now, I still get one everyone once in a great while, but very infrequent. I think the Replay's are very sensitive to network anamolies and the network interface is somewhat underpowered.

If you already have a good network card, make sure you have the best drivers. Note I did not say the most current or the ones Microsoft says you should have.

I had a similar problem with my 4xxx thing and DVA after a Windows reinstall. It was infuriating because prior I had no problem downloading two programs while watching the Replay also. I thought I had matched every driver but my network card drivers had been picked by Windows and were close, but not the same as the ones I had been using. I updated through Windows and it gave me drivers for a completely different card. So I searched the manufacturer, found the drivers I believed I had before, installed them, and it works fine once again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
I have had a number of reports of folks who, after exhausting everything else, did a factory reset of the RTV and had things get better. Of course, that means you loose everything (not only shows, but your list of programs to record), so it's definatly something you have to carefully weigh. And be aware that there is no guarantee this will "fix" things - for about 40% of the folks, that doesn't seem to help either :-(
Gerry,

Thank you for the input. I think I'll try the factory reset. If that doesn't work, I'll remove the hard drive, do a low level format, and then a complete software install via an image file. Though I probably won't be able to do this till this weekend, I'll post my results afterward to let everyone know on this thread how it turned out.

Again, THANKS for your fantastic work on DVArchive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've started getting the screaching and crashing of my RTV when streaming from DVarchive also. This never happened prior to the 4/12 ? software update. :mad:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Of the people having the crashing problem,

how many are using YPrPB output compared to composite/s-video?

How many have upgraded their HD?

·
Registered
452 Posts
This happens to me quite frequently when streaming from DVA, on both my 5120 (upgraded) and 5160 (native). It has never happened when streaming from one Replay to the other. I am using the SVideo out on both units.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have 2 5040's that have never been opened. When I stream between them it works great no problems. I have a Dell P4 1.9 GHz when I use DVArchive to stream from it, it works great no problems. I also have an older Dell PentiumPro 200MHz that I wanted to setup as my DVArchive server, this is the PC I'm having problems with. Like I said in my original post in this thread I thought I needed to get a newer faster PC but then I saw that n.wong was having the same problem and was using a newer faster Pentium4. I too am using a 3Com NIC so I'm not sure where to go from here except back to my original plan of getting a newer faster PC and hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.