AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a ReplayTV 5160 and have been sitting with baited breath to see what the outcome of the auction will be. I've also had NO problems with my unit but I keep waiting to see something happen.

One question I have is: Is it recommended to turn off the unit each night (when it is not being used) or keep it running constantly?

Thanks for the input.

-Jody

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Keep it running 24/7. That way you can play with the Zone feature. Sometimes it finds some nice things to watch. I have 3 replay's an never turned any of them off. No problem yet. And one of them is over 2 years old

·
Registered
117 Posts
What does leaving the unit on have to do with the Zones features? BTW- You can't actually turn a ReplayTV off without unplugging it; I am guessing that's not what Jodeus is talking about.

Does the 5000 series not spin down the hard drive (Maybe there is a clawfoot option for that)? Mine never seems to spin down, like my Showstopper did.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically I was wondering if there were any known unit "burn-out" issues if I never turn off the Replay. So more of a hardware question.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jones07
Keep it running 24/7. That way you can play with the Zone feature. Sometimes it finds some nice things to watch. I have 3 replay's an never turned any of them off. No problem yet. And one of them is over 2 years old
100% factually incorrect

all power questions answered here (tivo same as replay in this regard)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=112236

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bwall
What does leaving the unit on have to do with the Zones features? BTW- You can't actually turn a ReplayTV off without unplugging it; I am guessing that's not what Jodeus is talking about.

Does the 5000 series not spin down the hard drive (Maybe there is a clawfoot option for that)? Mine never seems to spin down, like my Showstopper did.
In defense of my answer. I took the OP question as removing the power source as in unplugging the unit. Because as we all know just turning off the blue light does not mean the unit is really off.

Man you guys are tough :p

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
OFF, it's always On regarding it's ability to record. Turning it off shuts down the decoder and blanks the video output. This free up CPU resources and if you aren't watching anything, the preferred way to go.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.