AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here! Read the Faqs first but they don't address 5532 specifically.

I have an Xbox using XBMC and PC. I'm quite adept at the XBMC programing but am totally new to this Replaytv stuff. I am thinking of buying a Relpaytv 5532, will the new Replaytv 5532 interface with my XBOX using normal SMB IP and the PC as well using Windows2000 with the appropriate apps running (DVarchive). I would like to be able to watch what is stored on the Replaytv 5532 on my PC or even move them to my pc, but the ReplayTV people say i can only use a 5000 series to do this?

Thanks for your patience

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xguy
I have an Xbox using XBMC and PC. I'm quite adept at the XBMC programing but am totally new to this Replaytv stuff. I am thinking of buying a Relpaytv 5532, will the new Replaytv 5532 interface with my XBOX using normal SMB IP and the PC as well using Windows2000 with the appropriate apps running (DVarchive). I would like to be able to watch what is stored on the Replaytv 5532 on my PC or even move them to my pc, but the ReplayTV people say i can only use a 5000 series to do this?
Yes, you can do all that with a 5532.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can do that with the 5525 as well? Am i correct that i can do all that with out having to mod the Replay? I can just utilize the software at replayfaqs,com

to do the interface to the pc? The Xbox i'm fairly confident in...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Quote:
I can do that with the 5525 as well? Am i correct that i can do all that with out having to mod the Replay? I can just utilize the software at replayfaqs,com

to do the interface to the pc? The Xbox i'm fairly confident in...
All you need to do is set up your LAN. DVArchive turns your PC into a virtual ReplayTV. You download shows from your RTV to your PC. You can then delete the copy on the RTV. DVArchive will STREAM the show back to your RTV.

All you need is:

1. A LAN.

2. A PC.

3. DVArchive.

If your PC has DVD Software on it (PowerDVD, et. al.) you can watch the RTV shows in Windows Media Player.

I can't answer he question about turning the Xbox into a ThinClient.

-Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry about the 5525! Iwas thinking of the 5516. Thanks for all the quick responses! I'm buying the 5532...for the money $199 and not having to monkey w/ the box, i think its worth it.

Once again thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhargr03
There is no such thing as a 5525.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza:
Why do you feel that there is no such thing as a 5525?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Newbie here! Read the Faqs first but they don't address 5532 specifically... ...I would like to be able to watch what is stored on the Replaytv 5532 on my PC or even move them to my pc, but the ReplayTV people say i can only use a 5000 series to do this?
Except for CA and IVS being disabled on the 55xx units (when they update to v144 - which you can then enable via WiRNS and imaging back to v190 or v140), you can treat the 50xx and 55xx machines as equals in whatever you read.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Quote:
sorry about the 5525! Iwas thinking of the 5516. Thanks for all the quick responses! I'm buying the 5532...for the money $199 and not having to monkey w/ the box, i think its worth it.

Once again thanks for the help!
Only one caution - unless they have changed their manufacturing (which I doubt) there are 2 160GB drives, and as I and many others can attest, dual drive systems are an accident that will happen - it is just a question of when, and once you have one dead drive, the unit is practically dead for the short-term. You must have matched drives for any chance of success, so you have to scrap both drives. I still think getting a refurbed 5504 and getting a 300GB drive would be equal money, but superior in long-term performance and reliability.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
ReplayTV got Maxtor to make them a 320GB drive....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
I would like to be able to watch what is stored on the Replaytv 5532 on my PC or even move them to my pc, but the ReplayTV people say i can only use a 5000 series to do this?
With XBMC you can watch directly shows from ReplaTv. In XBMC go to "My Videos" then the ReplayTv link is there waiting for your click.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
So if i'm understanding this the new 5532 i just ordered has a 320 gig drive in it?
That is probably correct. AFAIK, there has not been a two drive 50XX or 55XX ReplayTV made by DNNA (or SONICblue before that).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8er
That is probably correct. AFAIK, there has not been a two drive 50XX or 55XX ReplayTV made by DNNA (or SONICblue before that).
The 5532 was originally a dual drive - they had a special bracket for the second hard drive and everything. I know someone who has one and it has the two 160 drives in it. At the time it was released, it was hard to find 200GB drives, let alone 320GB. If as was mentioned above is true that is great, but 320GB is an odd size for a HD and it is not surprising that they were specially made. I bet DNNA got sick of the problems people would have.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If Maxtor specially made a 320GB drive for Replay, it seems they made that drive available to the general public as well. Although I could be wrong. There are several outlets that sell a 320GB drive online (could be a different model), I couldn't find a one that had it in stock.

The drive itself sounds like a DVR owners dream come true, at least as far as specifications are concerned. These apply to the Maxtor Maxline II:

• 5400 RPM

• Capacities up to 320GB

• PATA Interface

• Sustained data transfer rates up to 46MB/sec

• 10 ms average seek time

• 133MB/sec max bus speed

• 2MB Cache Buffer

• >1 million hours MTTF

• S.M.A.R.T. compliance features

• 5-year warranty

The specific Maxtor 320GB drive model number is 5A320J0. The details for this drive can be found on the Maxtor Maxline II Website .

I've seen these priced (although how good is a price if you don't have any to sell) anywhere from $130 to $200. The $130 isn't too bad, a little higher than the $0.33 per GB price you can find almost every day on other drives, but I'd pay the extra money for a Maxtor drive with a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Memories are slippin, but not mine for once.

I'm pretty sure all the old [now archived] posts consistantly said the XX32's used two 160 gig drives

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand
Except for CA and IVS being disabled on the 55xx units (when they update to v144 - which you can then enable via WiRNS and imaging back to v190 or v140), you can treat the 50xx and 55xx machines as equals in whatever you read.
He's saying that the two boxes (5xxx series and 55xx series) are the same, except for two features that disabled via software (CA - commercial advance and IVS - internet video sharing) on the 55xx series.

They can be re-enabled via Wirns (a free program that runs on your PC 24/7).

Look here to learn more. link

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.