AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried searching around for anwers to my following questions, but wasn't able to find anything that was fully sufficient for me. Please forgive me if these questions have been answered before.

I happily own a ReplayTV 5516 which I have setup in a network with my HTPC (using DVArchive), both of which are connected wirelessly to the internet & to my media server. One feature that I feel I am really missing out on is IVS. I realize that 55xx ReplayTVs cannot connect to poopli without being modified, along with using the WIRNS app.

What I haven't been able to find out is what features/bug fixes will I lose out on by going back to a pre-144 build in order to use IVS? Can I use IVS without using WIRNS? I have had no problems with the ReplayTV EPG data; I just want to be able to use IVS.

Thanks,

jawgee

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You cannot do IVS without wirns on a 55xx model. I can't speak to what you will lose, but you will gain, IVS and commercial skipping.

I did the switch, and I am quite happy with it and will never look back.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, mastiff34. How is the reliability of the Zap2It guide data compared to ReplayTV's guide data?

Any other folks know what possible features/fixes I might be missing out on if I choose to use WIRNS with IVS?

Thanks,

jawgee

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawgee
How is the reliability of the Zap2It guide data compared to ReplayTV's guide data?
It should be exactly the same. Replay gets its guide data from Tribune Media Services which owns Zap2It.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Quote:
...How is the reliability of the Zap2It guide data compared to ReplayTV's guide data?
Unless you need a "custom" guide setup, you don't need to use Zap2It guide data on your ReplayTV - just stick with what you have now.

Quote:
...Any other folks know what possible features/fixes I might be missing out on if I choose to use WIRNS with IVS?
If you use WiRNS to supply Zap2It guide data to your ReplayTV, ReplayZones isn't working "properly" at this time.

You are aware of the WiRNS Forum on PlanetReplay , right? ;)

Install it, play around with it, nobody says you have to keep it if you don't like it... :)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
One big advantage of using WiRNS and zap2it for guide data is complete management of the channels that get downloaded to your ReplayTV. On a single page at zap2it.com you can un-check any channels you don't actually receive. (As opposed to manually removing channels via the ReplayTV setup menu). The other benefit to only downloading the channels you actually receive is that searches are lightning fast. (Removing channels via Add/Remove in the ReplayTV setup menu really only hides channels, it doesn't actually remove them).

The one disadvantage to using WiRNS and zap2it for guide data is Replay Zones is not functional, yet. I rarely use Replay Zones so it's no big deal for me. But if you wanted to find all Horror Movies via Replay Zones, it's not working if you use WiRNS/zap2it at this point.

Edit: The one disadvantage stated above has now been overcome in WiRNS. You can now use Zap2It to control which channels are displayed/downloaded, yet still get the actual guide data (and fully functional Replay Zones) through DNNA.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies, folks. Definitely going to give this a shot once I backup all of my favorite shows on the ReplayTV. I didn't realize you could elect not to use the Zap2It EPG data.

Thanks!

jawgee

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Mike. I don't use the serial port, so I'm OK. Could be useful info for others, though.

Thanks,

jawgee

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Build 143 has the CC fix. I believe the serial fix was in before that. !43 is the build to get, but for some strange reason nobody seems to have saved it. I never bothered because I only have 5Ks. In retrospect, I should have copied it.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36
Build 143 has the CC fix.
Um, 143 was not a public (general release) build. They went from 19 to 144 for most users. 140 shipped on some refurbs.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Many people got 141 back from repair/rma. There were many of those around.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.