AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
AVI stands for Audio Video Interleave. It's a codec based multimedia format, it's possible to have MPEG-4 in an AVI but I don't think it's possible to have MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.


You'll need to encode the AVI using TMPGEnc, Vegas Video, Premiere etc. Ttemplates for TMPGEnc are included in the RTV Toolkit package.



1. No. AVI is not MPEG-2.

2. Don't know of one.

3. DivX is an AVI MPEG-4 codec with a spotty history - TMPGEnc can handle it with a little massaging.


You can find TMPGEnc at http://www.tmpgenc.net
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dyker

Worked perfect. I needed to do 6 files. Can they be batched? I tried

Code:
Code:
FTiny Planets.mpg
FTiny Planets1.mpg
FTiny Planets2.mpg
FTiny Planets3.mpg
FTiny Planets4.mpg
E

Each output file needs it's own edit script. You CAN combine multiple inputs into one output however.


There's more detail and examples of this in the documentation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Thompson
AVI stands for Audio Video Interleave. It's a codec based multimedia format, it's possible to have MPEG-4 in an AVI but I don't think it's possible to have MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.


You'll need to encode the AVI using TMPGEnc, Vegas Video, Premiere etc. Ttemplates for TMPGEnc are included in the RTV Toolkit package.



1. No. AVI is not MPEG-2.

2. Don't know of one.

3. DivX is an AVI MPEG-4 codec with a spotty history - TMPGEnc can handle it with a little massaging.


You can find TMPGEnc at http://www.tmpgenc.net
I think you might be wrong on this... Microsoft has taken a very strange (read closed and open) position on "other file formats" they basturdized (misspelled to beat censored to *******ized) thier format to work with other popular formats. You could possibly wrap a avi wrapper around an MPEG file and get something that's an MPEG in an AVI file.


MS does this with MP3's in wave files. Took me a while to hunt this down when working on some audio decoder code a while back. I saw this file that looked like both a wav and a MP3 file, turns out it was both. They just put a wav file header on an MP3 file and then it's a WAV MP3 file! But I view it as an MP3 file with junk at the beginning! ;)


I wouldn't put it past them to do the same with AVI.

And the AVI format can be thought of as a stream wrapper... so it makes sense, but once again... it's dumb because it's confusing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by agent-x


quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by mastafunk

evtdump %1 > evt.txt

rtvedit -t1 evt.txt

pause

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



If you're using edit times from evtdump, you really shouldn't be using -t1 in rtvedit. That is, unless you like having cut times being wrong. ;) That's pretty cool though, add a notepad evt.txt between evtdump and rtvedit and it'll automatically pop up a window to tweak the script in and automatically run when you close it.
so... I've been hedging towards something entirely obvious and I can't figure out why it seemly has not been brought up..


Assuming one is willing to accept the replayTV's judgement of where commercials are, and transfer the show to a PC via DVArchive..


Couldn't we offer a very basic batch file that:

>found the commercials (entdump)

>removed the commercials (rtvedit)

>made the dvd compliant (rtvconvert)

Done


modeled from above looking something like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

evtdump %1 > evt.txt

rtvedit -t1 evt.txt

rconvert %1 > .mpg for the record, here's the link of the original post about the little batch script icon:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...20#post2790420


>here's a link to a batch file that finds the root name of a file if that is applicable: http://www.ericphelps.com/batch/samp...otname.bat.txt



cow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
> Use -d in rtvconvert to write demuxed streams and use -f 8 or -f 9 in mplex for dvd.


This works great. I have finally made my first DVD using

solaris x86 box running rtvtools, mplex, and dvdauthor. I

have not figured out how to burn dvd on that machine

yet, but using a win98 machine to acess the resulting

directory across the network and burn it on dvd is just

as good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
I think you might be wrong on this... Microsoft has taken a very strange (read closed and open) position on "other file formats" they basturdized (misspelled to beat censored to *******ized) thier format to work with other popular formats. You could possibly wrap a avi wrapper around an MPEG file and get something that's an MPEG in an AVI file.



Maybe but I don't think I am. At any rate Microsoft now uses their Windows Media wrapper on everything which primarily uses MPEG-4.


I suppose it's possible someone could write such a thing but AVI's design doesn't really support it. You could probably get an MPEG-2 codec video stream running but the audio is always interleaved, no PTS support. So whatever it would be would be funky indeed and would not be.. MPEG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Re-rendering question: If I take a "raw" ReplayTV file recorded at Medium Quality and import it into Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2, it may or may not import. This is typical. If I take a "raw" file and run it through rtvconvert, the resulting file imports nicely into DMF2, and the audio is in sync, but when I go to burn a disk, it still needs to re-render the file. Is this typical? One HUGE feature of Womble is that the "raw" file edited and saved using Womble imports into DMF2, but doesn't require re-rendering.


Any thoughts? Oh, and I have nothing at all against the rtvconvert app in any way! It's a cool and very quick app that nicely cleans up the file. I just am wondering why it requires re-rendering in DMF2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I've tested it on UDMF1 and it doesn't re-render there. First, don't run a "raw" RTV file through rtvconvert. You *have* to run it through rtvedit first. If you're not doing that, it may fix the problem. If you are, then have rtvconvert demux the stream and re-mux it with bbmpg or something that can mux a dvd stream.

The primary goal of rtvconvert is still to generate a mpg that is muxed for streaming to an RTV. It's possible UDMF2 may not like something about it, but none of the authoring apps we've used have re-rendered, including UDMF1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by agent-x

The primary goal of rtvconvert is still to generate a mpg that is muxed for streaming to an RTV.
I've been wondering about this, so I'm glad you mentioned it. From what I can tell, I should be running all my downloaded ReplayTV files through rtvedit and then rtvconvert, to improve their compatibility with other decoders and applications. And this post-processing doesn't adversely affect streaming back to the ReplayTV, so there's no harm, right?


However, is there a limit to how many times you can/should run rtvedit and/or rtvconvert against a given video file?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbarr
If I take a "raw" file and run it through rtvconvert, the resulting file imports nicely into DMF2, and the audio is in sync, but when I go to burn a disk, it still needs to re-render the file. Is this typical?
jbarr,

I've been making DVD's according to your "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide. Great work. It helped a lot and I've burned about 30 dvd's that way. Over the weekend I had a problem with audio sync in 1 file using womble. Pretty good success rate (1 of 90). I found this thread over the weekend when I was trying to fix the audio problem. I tried the RTVedit and RTVConvert on 3 shows and it worked great. I then imported them into DMF2, set up the menu's and burned them. DMF2 didn't re-render them. I'm going to continue to test out this method and hopefully DMF2 will continue to not re-render.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Cool! Looks like the essential rtvedit step is what I left out. I'll try it and see what happens.


Thanks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
what am I doing wrong?


I have a Windows XP machine and get the following;



-=-=-=-from a dos window-=-=-=-=-


F:\\wiggles-new>dir try*

Volume in drive F is VIDEO

Volume Serial Number is 547C-1CC7


Directory of F:\\wiggles-new


10/23/2003 04:10 PM 80 tryme.evt

10/23/2003 04:10 PM 323,231,900 tryme.mpg

10/23/2003 04:10 PM 64,232 tryme.ndx

3 File(s) 323,296,212 bytes

0 Dir(s) 25,909,500,928 bytes free


F:\\wiggles-new>rtvconvert -d tryme

Can't open file -d.mpg


F:\\wiggles-new>rtvconvert -d tryme.mpg

Can't open file -d.mpg


F:\\wiggles-new>rtvconvert

rtvconvert [-d]


F:\\wiggles-new>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Need to have output file name


F:\\wiggles-new>rtvconvert -d tryme.mpg out2

Source: tryme.mpg

Target: out2.m2v, out2.mp2

Program Time: 022:18.369

Convert Time: 001:06.360


F:\\wiggles-new>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
I've been super busy lately but I look forward to using my free time next week to figure out these new tools. I have been keeping that 3 hour documentary on The Spartans around until I had time to DVD-ize it.


With an early version of the tools I made an edit list for that show, to snip the pledge breaks, but my edit points were all off by a few seconds after I processed the file. At the time I couldn't find any info about that problem.. sound familiar to anyone? v5.0 5040 high-Q file, it was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by krkaufman

However, is there a limit to how many times you can/should run rtvedit and/or rtvconvert against a given video file?
I would recommend 1 and 1. :) That said, you can run rtvedit against an rtvedited stream without any issues (at least in theory). But once you run it through rtvconvert, there are a few issues that may prevent rtvedit from working properly. Realize that once you do this, it's not a 5K stream any more - it's a 5K "like" stream. If you want to keep the streams, keep the rtvedit ones and simply run rtvconvert before you burn it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by horseflesh

With an early version of the tools I made an edit list for that show, to snip the pledge breaks, but my edit points were all off by a few seconds after I processed the file. At the time I couldn't find any info about that problem.. sound familiar to anyone?
Use the -t1 switch if you are manually creating edits. Check the docs for more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks. Took some shows off the Replay and used your tools to remove the commericals. I still had to remove a second or so from one of the commercial breaks with Womble but all the others were trimmed perfectly. I then used DVD Lab to author the disc and it accepted the demuxed streams without any errors.


The final burned disc plays great on my DVD player and there is no audio sync issues.

Thanks for taking time to do this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reccitron
jbarr,

I've been making DVD's according to your "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide. Great work. It helped a lot and I've burned about 30 dvd's that way. Over the weekend I had a problem with audio sync in 1 file using womble. Pretty good success rate (1 of 90). I found this thread over the weekend when I was trying to fix the audio problem. I tried the RTVedit and RTVConvert on 3 shows and it worked great. I then imported them into DMF2, set up the menu's and burned them. DMF2 didn't re-render them. I'm going to continue to test out this method and hopefully DMF2 will continue to not re-render.
Are you always successful using this method? I've tried twice using the RTVedit and RTVConvert method and both times DMF2 required re-rendering. The good news is that the finished product seems to have no audio sync problems.
 
41 - 60 of 389 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top