AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...Loooooong time lurker, finally registered here at AVS. You guys are geniuses and an invaluable resource for us ReplayTV'ers.

Anyway, I am a happy owner of a 5504 (3 year free subscription) that I enabled CA and IVS thanks to you guys last year using WiRNS. But obviously my DVR was clobbered too thanks to the 144 software. :( I've been watching ever since and it seems that there isn't an easy fix out there yet to get both working again other than what I've seen here so far.

I love my 5504. My buddy has a 45xx and I can see the difference in picture quality and response time. The 5xxx RTVs are superior IMO. But I'm not sure I want to deal with having to use WiRNS through a dedicated PC to update content with the RTV service, though I already have a PC on 24/7 so I guess it wouldn't be a problem. I'm even debating getting a 45xx with a lifetime subscription via ebay or someone. I loved having the CA and IVS for a while, its a shame the new 5xxx RTV's are being neutered.

Short of the long:

--What are/have you guys done with your 5xxx RTVs? Did you opt for a 45xx or is the 5xxx still the best way to go, even with the needed workarounds?

--Am I on the right page here, do I need to revert my software to a pre 144 build and then use WiRNS on a PC to connect to the RTV service for programming? Is there a preferred build or things I should be concerned about before doing so?

--What about the 50xx RTVs? Are they in the same bind as the 55xx units and have to be reverted to pre 144 builds and connect via WiRNS too?

Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the only one with the debate above considering all of the RTVs showing up on ebay these days.

· Registered
1,542 Posts
If you get the 4XXX model you will be able to trade shows with your buddy. He will most like appreciate having a friend to help recover a missed program.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nded
If you get the 4XXX model you will be able to trade shows with your buddy. He will most like appreciate having a friend to help recover a missed program.
Heh. What about me though? LOL I just don't know which way I should go.

Yeah, we could swap files, but I'm not too concerned with that...Poopli is awesome and I can get all the files I want there. I could see noticeable worse quality with his video and it seemed to lag more in general operation. I'm not sure I want to deal with that either. My 5504 is pretty responsive.

· Registered
2,337 Posts
You could always try to find a 50xx ReplayTV. This model has and will always have CA and IVS. Otherwise, yes you will have to run WiRNS 24/7 (or as needed for net connects) in order to get and keep CA and IVS on a 55xx. The most concise instructions for doing so are here . Personally, I would choose either option before switching to a 4xxx.

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:

--What about the 50xx RTVs? Are they in the same bind as the 55xx units and have to be reverted to pre 144 builds and connect via WiRNS too?

[/b]
Yea, like j.m. said, get a 50xx. They're the same as the 55xx's, but they don't have the CA and IVS disabled, and likely never will. You WILL pay a premium for one; figure $150-$200.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
You could always try to find a 50xx ReplayTV. This model has and will always have CA and IVS. Otherwise, yes you will have to run WiRNS 24/7 (or as needed for net connects) in order to get and keep CA and IVS on a 55xx. The most concise instructions for doing so are here. Personally, I would choose either option before switching to a 4xxx.
I'm not sure where I saw it but I was under the impression the CA/IVS axe came down on all 5xxx DVRs.

So the above is true, those who have 50xx RTVs have CA and IVS? They weren't affected by the new build?

I assume the 50xx RTVs work with DArchive too? Are there any downfalls to a 50xx compared to a 55xx RTV...aren't they essentially the same?

· Registered
1,156 Posts
My commerical advance still works on my 5040, but I've never used iVS

-Allen

· Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deuce300
I'm not sure where I saw it but I was under the impression the CA/IVS axe came down on all 5xxx DVRs.

So the above is true, those who have 50xx RTVs have CA and IVS? They weren't affected by the new build?

I assume the 50xx RTVs work with DArchive too? Are there any downfalls to a 50xx compared to a 55xx RTV...aren't they essentially the same?
Yes, it is true. As part of the agreement reached in the lawsuit against SonicBlue/RTV over CA/IVS, existing 50xx units can retain CA and IVS. However, the features had to be removed from the new units (i.e. 55xx). Thus, unlike the 50xx, the 55xx were not shipped with CA and IVS and were never supposed to have those features. Build 144 just restored the 55xx to its intended functionality, probably to head off additional lawsuits. Again, 50xx are in no way affected and still have CA and IVS.

The only substantial difference between a 50xx and 55xx is the latter's lack of CA and IVS and minor cosmetic differences (e.g. 55xx has a quieter fan, dimmer blue light, and no SonicBlue/CA logo). Oh, and the 55xx has USB2 ports (versus USB 1.1 in the 50xx) that still aren't active and probably never will be. Otherwise, 50xx > 55xx because 50xx has CA and IVS. SOme newer 50xx even have the quieter fan etc. All things being equal, there is generally no reason to get a 55xx over a 50xx.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. 50xx is definitely the way to go at this point. As for the price premium, I could care less. I'll probably off my 5504 on ebay to cover some of the cost unless someone wants to swap mine with a 50xx. ;)

Any good trading spots out there for 50xx's or am I stuck with ebay?

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. 50xx is definitely the way to go at this point. As for the price premium, I could care less. I'll probably off my 5504 on ebay to cover some of the cost unless someone wants to swap mine with a 50xx. ;)

Any good trading spots out there for 50xx's or am I stuck with ebay?
I had the devil/angel thing going on for a minute, but the angel won.

If I were in your shoe's, I'd consider looking for a 50xx, and keeping the 5504. The reason is the 3 year 'free' sub you have, which is actually lifetime. This means that a second Replay will only cost you $6.95/month. If you get a 50xx, use it as your primary machine, using the 5504 as a conflict solver, streaming device. This way everything you watch from the 50xx will have CA. Remember, the 55xx's and the 50xx's are the same software, it's just the CA and IVS are turned off on the 55xx, but the markers are still there.

You may not think you want a second one, but when you experience the difference you'll want to keep it. And remember, you get the discounted $6.95/month rate on a second one.

· Registered
4,579 Posts
Deuce - I've got 2 friends looking to sell 5040's - both have gone to the darkside (Time Warner HD PVR's). Send me a PM if you're interested and I can give you their info so you can make contact.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chain777
I had the devil/angel thing going on for a minute, but the angel won.

If I were in your shoe's, I'd consider looking for a 50xx, and keeping the 5504. The reason is the 3 year 'free' sub you have, which is actually lifetime. This means that a second Replay will only cost you $6.95/month. If you get a 50xx, use it as your primary machine, using the 5504 as a conflict solver, streaming device. This way everything you watch from the 50xx will have CA. Remember, the 55xx's and the 50xx's are the same software, it's just the CA and IVS are turned off on the 55xx, but the markers are still there.

You may not think you want a second one, but when you experience the difference you'll want to keep it. And remember, you get the discounted $6.95/month rate on a second one.
Now this might have been the best post thus far. Thanks for the advice above!

I didn't even think about getting a second one at the discounted $7/month rate. I did not know that the 3 year subscription (something like a $1/month afterward?) would count as my first subscription considering all of the issues people had with them when they were released. I guess a lot of people had them shut off or had to verify them with RTV? Anyway I never had that issue but figured that RTV wouldn't want to acknowledge it as a valid first subscription.

BTW, I bought 2 of the 5504's with the 3 year included since they were so cheap at the time. I know how nice it is to have the ability to watch shows between units, its pretty awesome with DVArchive too.

· Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
I did not know that the 3 year subscription (something like a $1/month afterward?)
They dropped the 3 year $1/mo after pricing model and upgraded them to lifetime. Enjoy.

· Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Revert to a 45xx - 2
So how did you two you revert a 5XXX to a 45XX? Looks like a candidate for dumb a$$ poll of the month.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by l8er
So how did you two you revert a 5XXX to a 45XX? Looks like a candidate for dumb a$$ poll of the month.
Thats funny. I guess the wording could have been better. For those who don't get it, I meant to sell 5xxx and buy a 45xx.

But now that I found out that 50xx's are golden, I would have never done a poll.

· Registered
8,103 Posts
When he made the poll he thought all 5XXXs were stripped of CA/IVS and that 4XXXs still had CA/IVS.

he said "I'm even debating getting a 45xx with a lifetime subscription via ebay or someone." in his original post. Later in the same post he wrote, "What about the 50xx RTVs? Are they in the same bind as the 55xx units and have to be reverted to pre 144 builds and connect via WiRNS too?"

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Conspiracy
They dropped the 3 year $1/mo after pricing model and upgraded them to lifetime. Enjoy.
Thats a pretty sweet easter egg! Another thing I wasn't aware of.

· Registered
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Another thing I wasn't aware of.
And now that you've made the transition from lurker to poster of threads, I'm thinking you can count on that list getting much longer.. :D

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nded
And now that you've made the transition from lurker to poster of threads, I'm thinking you can count on that list getting much longer.. :D
You meant, list of things that I wasn't aware of? I'll probably run into a couple things here and there and will surprise me but for the most part I visit the boards every few weeks and check the replay faq's too so I'm pretty up to speed on whats out there.

Anyway, I'm extremely happy to have such a prompt response to all of my inquiries. I post quite frequently on a bunch of other assorted message boards and not too often is everyone so eager to respond. One of my friends referred me here last year (he's an evil TIVO user) and he was correct how valuable of a resource this place is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.